Input from suspension gurus.

getpetey

Sooooo, let’s say there’s this guy who is packing around 225lbs everywhere he goes. This fictional character has realized the stock suspension is weak and needs to do some upgrades. He has allegedly set up the front forks and all he can get out of them is about 45 mm of sag. If he hypothetically buys a proper upgrade for the rear shock that he has the ability to obtain the correct sag of about 30 mm with, should he? Or should he just match the 45 mm he can get out of the front for now until the forks get addressed, most likely on the off season? Or should he’s set the rear up properly and maybe mess with the pitch of the bike??

Remember, all hypothetical tale.... LOL 😉🧐

TIA!

Edited by getpetey

As soon as you fix the front, you'll immediately recognize the weakness in the rear, and vice versa. Coming from someone who, hypothetically of course, carries around 270 lbs, just plan on doing them both. This bike, as great as it is, just isn't setup for people of our size.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, getpetey said:

Or should he just match the 45 mm he can get out of the front for now until the forks get addressed, most likely on the off season?

Stiffer springs up front and maybe thicker fork oil to get the right sag and change damping (oil should be done under the advice of someone who knows, not me). Parts cost would be cheap, at least. 

The fictional character doesn't say if the 45mm is static or rider sag. 45mm rider sag is ball park. Don't forget, you're not simply getting sags correct (though, of course this is important). Changing springs require damping control changes. I'm 80kg in civvie clothes and required a 50% spring rate increase on my Nitron. I'm sure the fictional rider will love the results of spending as much as poss on suspension.

People don't advocate suspension upgrades because they have shares in suspension companies. They do it because they know it's about the best thing you can do.

2 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Stiffer springs up front and maybe thicker fork oil to get the right sag and change damping (oil should be done under the advice of someone who knows, not me). Parts cost would be cheap, at least. 

Yup, I plan on getting the front sorted out, but will have to tackle it later.

12 minutes ago, Manxkiwi said:

The fictional character doesn't say if the 45mm is static or rider sag. 45mm rider sag is ball park. Don't forget, you're not simply getting sags correct (though, of course this is important). Changing springs require damping control changes. I'm 80kg in civvie clothes and required a 50% spring rate increase on my Nitron. I'm sure the fictional rider will love the results of spending as much as poss on suspension.

People don't advocate suspension upgrades because they have shares in suspension companies. They do it because they know it's about the best thing you can do.

Good point. Rider sag of 45mm that is. I just saw a god sale price on the. k-tech over the winter and picked one up. Guess I was just thinking a balanced rider sag makes more sense than having one end dialed in and the other off. But I am certainly no Einstein. 

As stated above, front will come, but in a bit. 

• Thumbsup 1