Yamaha R7!

johnakay

looks nice not that I'll be getting one. I dont bend so easy these day.

specs...

2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Specs
Base price: $ 8,999
Engine type: Liquid-cooled, horizontally parallel 2-cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder.
Bore x Stroke: 80.0 x 68.6mm
Displacement: 689cc
Transmission: 6-speed, cable-operated assist & slipper wet clutch
Final drive: chain
Wheelbase: 54.9 inches
Rake / Trail: 23.4 degrees / 3.5 inches
Seat height: 31.7 inches
Wet weight: 414 lbs. (Claim)
Fuel capacity: 3.4 gallons.

2022-Yamaha-YZF-R7-review-blue.jpg

It's a good looking bike and will likely sell well.  

But I have a hard time with this bike when I consider the Kawasaki ZX6R-636 is way more bike for only another 1000 bucks.  Look at the specifications and you will see what I mean.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

every body is different. with our country roads being narrow and to many other vehicles,push bikers not to mention caravans.

this 700 is ideal. but the Europeans have been crying to Yamaha to make a sport version and they have.

to be truthful its not all about power its the usability. 

60 mph bend is still 60 mph whether your on a gixer or a twin.

on smaller bikes you carry more speed into the corner.on tight twisties litre bikes have no advantage.

if every body like the same thing it would be a boring world.

me personally I like the old style sit up  and beg posture whether fully naked or semi.

2 hours ago, johnakay said:

every body is different. with our country roads being narrow and to many other vehicles,push bikers not to mention caravans.

this 700 is ideal. but the Europeans have been crying to Yamaha to make a sport version and they have.

to be truthful its not all about power its the usability. 

60 mph bend is still 60 mph whether your on a gixer or a twin.

on smaller bikes you carry more speed into the corner.on tight twisties litre bikes have no advantage.

if every body like the same thing it would be a boring world.

me personally I like the old style sit up  and beg posture whether fully naked or semi.

I had to pull out my Aprilia Motorcycle Design and Technology to verify something. This book is very cool.

During steady state cornering, the weight of the bike doesnt matter. The weight comes into play when making changes.  

I can carry far greater corner entry speed on my R1 than my Seca II. The difference is the amount of braking needed for the proper corner entry speed. It just appears a smaller displacement bike carries more speed cause there is not alot of speed adjustment needed......ie. not alot of braking is needed. 

I refer to a liter bike as dail-a-HP. How much HP you are using depends on your throttle input. 27781FBB-B017-41D5-A242-43C348B6557D.thumb.jpeg.82807bd5b00d531ef734a30e97aae917.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

They made a modern CBR F2! More modern suspension, frame, brakes, and electronics. A little more torque at half the rpm and probably more hp until the R7 redlines (and the F2 hp will keep climbing).

I'm guessing cheaper to insure in the UK and Europe compared to the Ninja 636 since the UK seems to have more of a formula for insurance (US is more arbitrary). So lifetime costs compared to the 636 could be a lot less. 

I see the same thing with bicycles. Modern gravel bikes are somewhere between 1970s randonneurs and 1990s mountain bikes with all of the modern improvements. (I like this trend, BTW, and my monster cross was my mountain bike 2 years ago)

This is not a bad thing, and I think more torque/less hp and modern riding aids will probably be safer for new riders. 

I don't like that center headlight appearance at any angle besides head on, tho...

I r

efer to a liter bike as dail-a-HP. How much HP you are using depends on your throttle input

You are right, but that means that the rider can never make a mistake. I rode a friend's Ninja 1000, and it's a great bike, but it always required precision. The difference between a fantastic Woohoo and an Oh Sh*t was a tiny fraction of a throttle turn. I could see that being immensely  rewarding at a track day or a really focused ride in the hills, but mentally exhausting on a tour or a commute. Maybe you get used to it. 

They were looking for people to "build" their own and sold out within a few days time. I also heard that one might be able to demo it at the road America moto America event coming soon. I think I'm going to try to get up there...not for the R7, but if there isn't a crazy line I might try it out. 

7 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

They were looking for people to "build" their own and sold out within a few days time. I also heard that one might be able to demo it at the road America moto America event coming soon. I think I'm going to try to get up there...not for the R7, but if there isn't a crazy line I might try it out. 

I am heading up there Saturday and Sunday as well.....hoping for good weather. hehe.

• Thumbsup 1