2015 Mt09 tracer code reader?

I know the Yamaha dealer software can give live information, but it sounds like you want to have a go on your own. 

what specific data are you needing? Many of the DIAG channels will provide you with live data. Perhaps I can help if you let me know what you’re after....

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

You can enter diag mode by doing this: 

- turn the ignition key off and the engine run switch off
- hold down the 'select' and 'reset' buttons
- turn the ignition key on, keeping both buttons held down
- after about 8-10 seconds, the display will change and say 'diag' - this is diagnostics mode. release both buttons.
- press and hold down both buttons again
- after about 2 seconds, the display changes and it will have a '1' where the speedo is, and above that, it will say 'di xx' (xx should be around 15). release both buttons

the big '1' is the diagnostics code (not fault code), and you can flip through the codes with the 'select' (forwards) and 'reset' (backwards) buttons. each code is for a specific function (e.g. sensor or actuator, or ecu info), and where the 'xx' is, shows the particular value for that function. in this case '1' is throttle position sensor 1. if you turn the throttle at this point, you'll see the value at 'xx' change.

click 'reset' a couple of times to flip backwards to diagnostics code 61, this is the fault code history. keep an eye on the 'xx' value, it will display the recorded fault codes. you should see '20', but if there other errors, it will display them (it scrolls through them every 2 seconds).

I borrowed this from FZ09.org

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, skipperT said:

I know the Yamaha dealer software can give live information, but it sounds like you want to have a go on your own. 

what specific data are you needing? Many of the DIAG channels will provide you with live data. Perhaps I can help if you let me know what you’re after....

-Skip

Hi skipperT,

Well I think I have a vacuum leak and was hoping to have a look at fuel trim data with hopes it would confirm it, but all my pipes look good. 

I THINK it's miss firing, and at idle I'm sure it doesn't quite sound smooth, as it should but you know when you've been trying to sort a small issue like this for so long your just not sure anymore 😂😅

It's most notible while moving slowly for eg round a corner, in traffic, or bad weather and your trying to ride "safe"

Occasionally it's almost as if there's a miss fire or momentary loss of power that causes the nose to dive and then kicks back in, making corners quite the issue.

Now I know you might be quick to tell me that these bikes are snatchy and don't I know it, but I've had it flashed and since then has been as buttery as you can get a fuel injection bike 😂 so I know its not that. 

I've recorded a video showing idle and a few revs, cheaking my dash cam as we speak to see if I cna find a clip of it happening in the corner. Not that it will be a very useful view but you should be able to hear the "cut" I'm talking about 

When at wide open throttle it's not a problem at all, and is definitely worse when the bikes cold.

On the video the bike is warm

Hello I have a fault light on, I clear error 60 troiughr self dignostic on dash, but light is still on. Also try several type of OBD II readers, but no succes to conect to ECU. My bike is Tracer 900 2015, so does any have idea with what equipment can be read ECU and clear codes? (celearly original will work , but price is too much)

3 hours ago, shapala said:

Hello I have a fault light on, I clear error 60 troiughr self dignostic on dash, but light is still on. Also try several type of OBD II readers, but no succes to conect to ECU. My bike is Tracer 900 2015, so does any have idea with what equipment can be read ECU and clear codes? (celearly original will work , but price is too much)

When you say original, what are you referring too? I use my bike for work and plan to keep it for a long time so I would consider it regardless of price.. I mean I even have a spare engine 😂 

But I haven't been able to get anything connected to my 2015 ecu.

Error code 60 seems to point at ycct check fuses, I remember having error code 60 and it was a blown fuse how ever I also couldn't start the bike, don't know what your symptoms are. See screen shot for other possibles

Screenshot_20210528_183841_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Edited by Puregreen59
  • Like 1

No luck connecting my 2015 to code readers. I use the DIAG menu as above.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, Puregreen59 said:

When you say original, what are you referring too? I use my bike for work and plan to keep it for a long time so I would consider it regardless of price.. I mean I even have a spare engine 😂 

But I haven't been able to get anything connected to my 2015 ecu.

Error code 60 seems to point at ycct check fuses, I remember having error code 60 and it was a blown fuse how ever I also couldn't start the bike, don't know what your symptoms are. See screen shot for other possibles

Screenshot_20210528_183841_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Hello , when I say original a mean this 

404.jpg

✓Get the DIAGNOSTIC TOOL (A/I) ✓Manufacturercode: 90890-03262-00...

I check the fuses near battery, but all are OK. The bike is start and run without any problem, the dash don't show any error, ABS light goes off after start moving, TCS can be disabale and work fine when is enable, only the phucking engine light still is on. That make me crayzy. I love my bike and don't think to change next few years. So if there is no other way maybe I will bay this original diagnostic for clear ths code and used in future.

14 hours ago, Puregreen59 said:

Hi skipperT,

Well I think I have a vacuum leak and was hoping to have a look at fuel trim data with hopes it would confirm it, but all my pipes look good. 

Not accessible with an OBD reader that I'm aware.  The dealer software can display the injector opening times. I don't think that any motorcycles out there are capable of displaying trim changes similar to how an automobile would store O2 sensor bank and trim data over a period of time.

I THINK it's miss firing, and at idle I'm sure it doesn't quite sound smooth, as it should but you know when you've been trying to sort a small issue like this for so long your just not sure anymore 😂😅

Honestly your video doesn't really bring any issue to my mind when viewing.

It's most notible while moving slowly for eg round a corner, in traffic, or bad weather and your trying to ride "safe"

Occasionally it's almost as if there's a miss fire or momentary loss of power that causes the nose to dive and then kicks back in, making corners quite the issue.

Now I know you might be quick to tell me that these bikes are snatchy and don't I know it, but I've had it flashed and since then has been as buttery as you can get a fuel injection bike 😂 so I know its not that. 

(wasn't going to go there...)

I've recorded a video showing idle and a few revs, cheaking my dash cam as we speak to see if I cna find a clip of it happening in the corner. Not that it will be a very useful view but you should be able to hear the "cut" I'm talking about 

When at wide open throttle it's not a problem at all, and is definitely worse when the bikes cold.

On the video the bike is warm...

If possible, a video when the bike is symptomatic would be best.

-Skip

23 hours ago, shapala said:

if you can clear error a code 60 through DIAG using the instrument cluster, then that isn't your problem.  You CANNOT clear an ACTIVE code until it's fixed, and it WILL NOT show in DIAG channel 60 or 61 until it has been REPAIRED. it's very important to understand those differences.

If the MIL light is on, put the kickstand down, and turn off the engine with the RH handlebar Run/Off switch.

Your active code number will be shown in the display. THAT CODE is the one that you cannot clear, because it is still ACTIVE and not yet repaired (as far as the ECM is concerned...)

Make sense?

You can connect an OBD II reader only utilizing a 4pin adapter to the standard OBDII connector. They're available on eBay I believe, and may not work on 15/16 models based on posts here...

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, shapala said:

Hello , when I say original a mean this 

404.jpg

✓Get the DIAGNOSTIC TOOL (A/I) ✓Manufacturercode: 90890-03262-00...

I check the fuses near battery, but all are OK. The bike is start and run without any problem, the dash don't show any error, ABS light goes off after start moving, TCS can be disabale and work fine when is enable, only the phucking engine light still is on. That make me crayzy. I love my bike and don't think to change next few years. So if there is no other way maybe I will bay this original diagnostic for clear ths code and used in future.

That tool is the adapter "box", harness connectors, USB cord, etc. IT DOES NOT HAVE SOFTWARE in the box that is usable!

The software can ONLY be downloaded from a Yamaha Dealer website. That is where you are going to run into trouble trying to get that part number you listed to work, unless you work for a dealer.

Google the image associated with the part number above and you will see what I mean.

-Skip

2 hours ago, skipperT said:

You can connect an OBD II reader only utilizing a 4pin adapter to the standard OBDII connector. They're available on eBay I believe, and may not work of 15/16 models based on posts here...

@skipperT is correct. Even using the correct Yamaha adapter and trying with two different models of code reader (one a very recent expensive version borrowed from a friend) I could not read codes on my 2015 UK model. 

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)