Paranoia or normal

Could the Ivan ecu flash have already caused a rough engine?  Initially I thought everything was smoother. Smooth to the point that I figured the speedo was completely jacked up somehow. The smell does bother me.  Not necessarily the smell itself but it gives me that feeling that something isn't right.  I don't know how to describe it but it's a cross between an electrical and gas but kind of foul. Some have mentioned that it's a signal that it's running rich from the flash. I emailed 2WDW about whether their flash causes that type of smell.  Response below. 

No, with the stock exhaust in place our custom mapping does not cause an overly rich "fuel" smell from the exhaust system. Over time, that CAN result in the failure and clogging of the catalytic converter.

However what has me even more concerned is that I think there is more engine vibration than before. I have probably only 500 miles on it since the flash. I hopped on fjray tracer the other day and I thought it was smoother and possibly even quicker than mine.  (We were both in std). Went on the highway today and at 75 it's giving a good amount of vibration to the bars. I don't remember that to be the case. Any opinions?  This is a 2019 GT with almost 7000 miles. 

22 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Could the Ivan ecu flash have already caused a rough engine?  Initially I thought everything was smoother. Smooth to the point that I figured the speedo was completely jacked up somehow. The smell does bother me.  Not necessarily the smell itself but it gives me that feeling that something isn't right.  I don't know how to describe it but it's a cross between an electrical and gas but kind of foul. Some have mentioned that it's a signal that it's running rich from the flash. I emailed 2WDW about whether their flash causes that type of smell.  Response below. 

No, with the stock exhaust in place our custom mapping does not cause an overly rich "fuel" smell from the exhaust system. Over time, that CAN result in the failure and clogging of the catalytic converter.

However what has me even more concerned is that I think there is more engine vibration than before. I have probably only 500 miles on it since the flash. I hopped on fjray tracer the other day and I thought it was smoother and possibly even quicker than mine.  (We were both in std). Went on the highway today and at 75 it's giving a good amount of vibration to the bars. I don't remember that to be the case. Any opinions?  This is a 2019 GT with almost 7000 miles. 

It has been long time but I vaguely remember my stock exhaust being stinky at times. Just always thought it had to do with the catalytic converter. Haven't noticed it in years. Now running a Vcyclenut flash and a full Akrapovic exhaust.

You didn't provide much background info... Is everything else about the bike stock? Were there any other changes done to the bike at the same time as the flash? Is the smell after a hard run? At idle? Does the smell go away? Any loss of power? Have the throttle bodies been synced?

Since you are concerned that the flash is having a negative impact, you should call Ivan and discuss what you are experiencing.  As I previously stated, I used a different tuner for my '15 FJ, but I used Ivan for my '14 Bolt and he gave me the impression that he was proud of his work and would stand by it and make it right.

Lastly. Have you searched the FZ-09 forums for any similar experiences? 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Everything else is stock. Smell is basically at any stop since the breeze can't move it away as much I guess. 

It was definitely a result of the flash. No other changes made. I did call him once and discussed the smell at least. He claimed no one else had complained. However someone in another thread said they had it. 

I have not synced throttle bodies. 

I will research but wanting to see if I'm just being paranoid about the roughness. I'm not imagining the smell. 

Its hard to diagnose roughness over the internet.

I know Ivan gets further into the ECU than most other tuners. He claimed to have adjusted ignition timing and gear dependent fuel and timing maps on my Bolt, so I assume he does similar on his other flashes. I would imagine that retarding or advancing the timing could add to some perceived roughness. Perhaps sync the throttle bodies and see if the "roughness" gets any better. This engine does have a little bit of a vibe/roughness through the mid range under load (hard to put into words). Nothing that has ever bothered me but definitely more so than a 4 cylinder would.

I would assume the smell is related to the bike running in a more rich condition while still having a catalytic converter installed.

How does the throttle feel? Smoother in terms of on/off, etc.? How does the power feel more/less? Most have a generally positive reaction to an ECU flash... so...

Lastly, if it continues to bother you, I would just tell him to return it to stock settings and either run it stock or use 2wheeldynoworks or flashed by vcyclenut.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

A richer fuel mixture can eventually cause issues with the catalytic converter from what I understand.  However I had Ivan flash my ECU (2019 GT, completely stock) over 10,000 miles ago and have no issues.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

30 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

A richer fuel mixture can eventually cause issues with the catalytic converter from what I understand.  However I had Ivan flash my ECU (2019 GT, completely stock) over 10,000 miles ago and have no issues.

Do you have the smell?

2 hours ago, duhs10 said:

Its hard to diagnose roughness over the internet.

I know Ivan gets further into the ECU than most other tuners. He claimed to have adjusted ignition timing and gear dependent fuel and timing maps on my Bolt, so I assume he does similar on his other flashes. I would imagine that retarding or advancing the timing could add to some perceived roughness. Perhaps sync the throttle bodies and see if the "roughness" gets any better. This engine does have a little bit of a vibe/roughness through the mid range under load (hard to put into words). Nothing that has ever bothered me but definitely more so than a 4 cylinder would.

I would assume the smell is related to the bike running in a more rich condition while still having a catalytic converter installed.

How does the throttle feel? Smoother in terms of on/off, etc.? How does the power feel more/less? Most have a generally positive reaction to an ECU flash... so...

Lastly, if it continues to bother you, I would just tell him to return it to stock settings and either run it stock or use 2wheeldynoworks or flashed by vcyclenut.

I will start with a sync. I suppose a not so prefect spark plug could also be possible?  Might as well check while I'm in there. 

27 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Do you have the smell?

No smell.  I do not have any of the symptoms you describe.  

• Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

30 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Is this kind of oily residue in the air box normal?

4FE2CF7F-3210-44F9-95AB-68249850FDD6.jpeg

Not unusual to get a little oil blow back through the crankcase breather hose.  Have seen this on my bikes before. 

• Thumbsup 1