Paranoia or normal

3 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Is it normal to have the middle cylinder the one with the white painted screw?  The videos I've watched were all one side or the other. 

Can be any of the three.

I too have the Ivan flash, yes it smells if the wind is just right. Usually when I'm driving like an old man and come to a stop. Just over 10k on mine since flash as well.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Is it normal to have the middle cylinder the one with the white painted screw?  The videos I've watched were all one side or the other. 

It is my understanding that the one with the mark is the one with the lowest vacuum from the factory (or maybe its the other way around) that the other 2 are then adjusted to match.  Regardless, any one of them can be marked on any given motor.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

14 hours ago, skipperT said:

Yes. However you should check those to make sure there isn’t a pin hole-leak in them  they tear easily.

-Skip

Anyone have a part number for these little guys?  Not showing in service manual. Standing here in local shop and they can't find them either. 

They don't have them and have no answers. What is a good replacement?  One has a small crack. 

Edited by Yamajank
New info

As answered in another thread, the white paint mark is to indicate which A/S is “standard” when performing a TB sync. This should be the one with the lowest vacuum level as measured by the factory. Every bike will be different. 
-S

• Thumbsup 2

So Ivan really went through some things as best he could over the phone.  If there aren't any bad sensors, and because one of my plugs had a brown color and the other two did not, he thinks there could be a bad fuel injector.  Of course it would be a bit of a job to figure that out, and I did purchase the extended warranty which will be tricky apparently.  The bad injector would probably explain the smell and the rougher ride.  The throttle bodies were not in sync.  What I'd call 1&2 were good, but 3 was not very close.  I'll report back when I have a chance to ride it.  I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat.  haha

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, Yamajank said:

So Ivan really went through some things as best he could over the phone.  If there aren't any bad sensors, and because one of my plugs had a brown color and the other two did not, he thinks there could be a bad fuel injector.  Of course it would be a bit of a job to figure that out, and I did purchase the extended warranty which will be tricky apparently.  The bad injector would probably explain the smell and the rougher ride.  The throttle bodies were not in sync.

You can also electronically test them in DIAG mode to see if they "click" on demand. Was the bike sitting for a period of time with bad/stale fuel? Because otherwise they shouldn't be plugged-up.

Warranties are tricky b/c repairs won't be paid for until it's proven that a failure has occurred.

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, skipperT said:

You can also electronically test them in DIAG mode to see if they "click" on demand. Was the bike sitting for a period of time with bad/stale fuel? Because otherwise they shouldn't be plugged-up.

Warranties are tricky b/c repairs won't be paid for until it's proven that a failure has occurred.

-Skip

It was a left over but I don’t think they would have let it sit with fuel.  I did not let it sit with bad fuel this off season.  But why would it need to necessarily be plugged up to be “broken”.  Could it be letting too much fuel and that be the cause of the smell?

I agree though.  The repair and getting warranty to cover is going to be tricky for sure.

Edited by Yamajank

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

It was a left over but I don’t think they would have let it sit with fuel.  I did not let it sit with bad fuel this off season.  But why would it need to necessarily be plugged up to be “broken”.  Could it be letting too much fuel and that be the cause of the smell?

I agree though.  The repair and getting warranty to cover is going to be tricky for sure.

If the injector is sticky, yes. And contrary to popular belief there is a small amount of some kind of stabilized fueling stuff in the tank from the factory. Bikes are typically run through the gears when built (not redlined on a dyno as some believe...)

That shmutz was in there for an extended period of time on the sales floor before it was sold. So yes, try some quality injector cleaner and replace the spark plugs. Throw some Ring-free plus in there for good measure. 

warranty won’t usually cover a sticking injector but you can ask your dealer. You can still swap them around and see if bike running changes too if you want. 

-skip

41 minutes ago, skipperT said:

If the injector is sticky, yes. And contrary to popular belief there is a small amount of some kind of stabilized fueling stuff in the tank from the factory. Bikes are typically run through the gears when built (not redlined on a dyno as some believe...)

That shmutz was in there for an extended period of time on the sales floor before it was sold. So yes, try some quality injector cleaner and replace the spark plugs. Throw some Ring-free plus in there for good measure. 

warranty won’t usually cover a sticking injector but you can ask your dealer. You can still swap them around and see if bike running changes too if you want. 

-skip

Plenty of vids on youtube showing bikes right off the assembly line run to redline on a dyno or damn close to it, many also come from the factory now with full syn oil as well. :)

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, skipperT said:

-skip

Like a sea foam?  What's ring free?thanks 

1 hour ago, CRFan250 said:

Have you considered putting on an exhaust and eliminating the Cat?  The bike may run better overall.  Combine that with a TB sync I think.

Not really what I want to do at this point. Did the sync yesterday. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

Like a sea foam?  What's ring free?thanks 

1 ounce treats 10 gallons of fuel so the bottle will last you a long time. 

s-l400.jpg

YAMAHA - YAMALUBE RING FREE. Yamaha - Yamalube Ring Free Plus Fuel...

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***