Paranoia or normal

For what it's worth I have had Ivan's flashes on a lot of my bikes and my last bike was a Ninja 1000 that still had the Cat, etc.  Bike ran perfect and had no issues as Ivan said it would when I asked.   Not sure if there is any issue at all on your bike because other then the vibes it runs good correct?  Another thing to check for the Vibes issue is the torque on the motor mount bolts.

Edited by CRFan250

4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Plenty of vids on youtube showing bikes right off the assembly line run to redline on a dyno or damn close to it, many also come from the factory now with full syn oil as well. :)

Not Yamaha. And full syn only on the R1/R1M currently. 
-S

Edited by skipperT

4 hours ago, Yamajank said:

Like a sea foam?  What's ring free?thanks 

@betoney linked it up for you. It’s a carbon treatment, so not specifically an injector cleaner. You can run it as strong as 1oz per gallon if you wish, just change the oil after this “shock treatment”. 

I have no personal experience with Seafoam but the interwebs peeps rave about it. 

4 hours ago, Yamajank said:

Not really what I want to do at this point. Did the sync yesterday. 

... And ???? Was it off?

-Skip

3 hours ago, skipperT said:

Not Yamaha. And full syn only on the R1/R1M currently. 
-S

I never said just Yamaha........and yes many motorcycle models are run to redline at the factory and come with full syn, in particular the Euro machines. ;)

Edited by Ride365

On 6/3/2021 at 2:01 PM, CRFan250 said:

For what it's worth I have had Ivan's flashes on a lot of my bikes and my last bike was a Ninja 1000 that still had the Cat, etc.  Bike ran perfect and had no issues as Ivan said it would when I asked.   Not sure if there is any issue at all on your bike because other then the vibes it runs good correct?  Another thing to check for the Vibes issue is the torque on the motor mount bolts.

Was running great. I’ll look into the bolts. 

Edited by Yamajank

15 hours ago, skipperT said:

@betoney linked it up for you. It’s a carbon treatment, so not specifically an injector cleaner. You can run it as strong as 1oz per gallon if you wish, just change the oil after this “shock treatment”. 

I have no personal experience with Seafoam but the interwebs peeps rave about it. 

... And ???? Was it off?

-Skip

What I would call cyl 3 was off by 5 clicks on the meter I was using. Other one (in this case #1) wasn’t too bad.  So I’m thinking I’ll run a fuel injector cleaner and then the Ring Free then do the oil. Sorry it’s been a while to answer. I have an uncle 1.5 hours from home that I’ve been going to see.  He’s now in hospice as of yesterday. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

So I’m thinking I’ll run a fuel injector cleaner and then the Ring Free then do the oil.

There is a "maintenance" dosage @ 1oz (30ml) per 10 gallons which can be used on a regular daily basis with no further action needed or as @skipperT mentioned, a "shock treatment" dosage of 1oz to 1 gallon for very aggressive cleaning, after which the oil change is recommended.   I have only ever used the maintenance dosage and do that maybe once a month.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have done throttle body sinks on three different tracer GT‘s all of them have a different screw paint ed. It seems Yamaha just picks a cylinder and paints that screw head no rhyme or reason to it. The oil in the air box is normal although I have not seem it in the caps, but my sample size is only three so may not be unusual. I have bought the rubber caps at auto parts stores.

Edited by Ddog gt

17 hours ago, Yamajank said:

What I would call cyl 3 was off by 5 clicks on the meter I was using. Other one (in this case #1) wasn’t too bad.  So I’m thinking I’ll run a fuel injector cleaner and then the Ring Free then do the oil. Sorry it’s been a while to answer. I have an uncle 1.5 hours from home that I’ve been going to see.  He’s now in hospice as of yesterday. 

No apologies necessary. Sorry to hear about your uncle, enjoy this time with him. I hope he’s comfortable. 
-S

Well my uncle passed away Friday morning so the experimenting has been limited. I’ll throw this one out there. You know how there might be a smell when you’ve just lubed the chain and it’s getting cooked on the engine for the first few times?  Could a change in lube product completely change that smell?  I don’t think that’s it bc I would think it would go away after a few rides and especially since I switched to the drier maxima chain wax. 

• Premium Member
On 6/3/2021 at 10:18 AM, skipperT said:

If the injector is sticky, yes. And contrary to popular belief there is a small amount of some kind of stabilized fueling stuff in the tank from the factory. Bikes are typically run through the gears when built (not redlined on a dyno as some believe...)

That shmutz was in there for an extended period of time on the sales floor before it was sold. So yes, try some quality injector cleaner and replace the spark plugs. Throw some Ring-free plus in there for good measure. 

warranty won’t usually cover a sticking injector but you can ask your dealer. You can still swap them around and see if bike running changes too if you want. 

-skip

Really. You think there could be  bad gas in there from new after 8,000 miles? 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, fjray said:

Really. You think there could be  bad gas in there from new after 8,000 miles?  My FJ I  bought was sitting on the  sales floor  for 17 months.  Never had a bit of smells or stumbling or vibrations.   I has a wise old friend of mine that  was a motorcycle mechanic and  me and my friends  seemed to be always asking him about some noise or something.   His answer was always  just  go ride the thing and don't worry about anything.   He was never wrong as I recall.

15 hours ago, fjray said:

Really. You think there could be  bad gas in there from new after 8,000 miles? 

No, I don’t personally think that is the case, but Yamajank is looking for help and already consulted with Ivan who thought it might be a bad/sticking injector causing a rich running condition, causing the cat to be a bit stinky. He asked for specific ways to check, I elaborated on what he asked for including some of those ways to check/clean injectors.  

remind me to call out people that help you next time you need a question answered... 

-Skip

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE - So I've been through the injector cleaner (Fireball).  Didn't help.  If anything it made it worse.  Changed the oil, filter.  Didn't help.  Went for a ride today with @fjray.  Swapped bikes.  He felt what I have been describing.  It starts at about 4k RPM, can't miss at 4500 RPM, then doesn't really get worse unless you punch it and then it just kind of struggles.  Not really loss of power, but not the power that @fjray has.  His is also a leftover, and does not have Ivan's flash.  In fact he hasn't done anything at all.  And his is peppy-er.  And almost as smooth as mine with the flash. In fact if mine had run like his runs, I don't think I'd ever have worried about the flash. That makes me think mine has had an injector issue from the get go just like Ivan said.  He thinks it's possible that the O2 sensor was masking (compensating for) the issue.  So tonight I pulled the injectors.  The local shop said they had a little machine of some kind that will test them.  So that's the bottom line for me.  If they determine a bad injector, then hopefully they have one in stock and I'm back in business.  If they determine the injectors to all be fine, then I'm sending the ECU back to Ivan and getting the ECU back to stock.

• Thumbsup 1