Paranoia or normal

7 hours ago, skipperT said:

@Yamajank remind what spark plugs you are running? Are they stock or... ?

-Skip

stock, but new when sync TB.  I had a dream last night.  Someone told me to turn TC off and see if that did anything.  Could a TC sensor be doing something?  It's not rideable at the moment...still apart.

Put a stock tune ECU back in and go ride....

This is why I am leaving my GT bone ass stock. I got over 17k miles on it and is happy as a pig in shit.....

My motor got better with the more mileage on it. 

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

stock, but new when sync TB.  I had a dream last night.  Someone told me to turn TC off and see if that did anything.  Could a TC sensor be doing something?  It's not rideable at the moment...still apart.

If the TC light is flashing, then yes. 
Easy to turn off and test your dream! Glad to know about the plugs, i wanted to make sure they aren’t iridium. 

duckie’s idea above is a great suggestion too if you  have access to your friend’s ECM. 
-S

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, duckie said:

Put a stock tune ECU back in and go ride....

This is why I am leaving my GT bone ass stock.

Just to clarify so other readers don't get the wrong impression, "IF" the ECU flash turns out to actually be the problem, it is an extremely rare occurrence and shouldn't scare anyone away from improving their bike.  99.9999999% of owners find the flash to be a major improvement.  👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Well, as the saying goes.....opinion differ..

My 2019 Tracer GT runs just fine without a tune. I have no issues with it at any speed or rpm. This after 17k on the odometer. And this aint my first motorcycle. 

Improvement is all speculation. 

Just to clarify........

Oh, I dont live my life by what 99.99999999999% of the people do. Its a zen thing.....

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 1

14 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Injectors tested good. I'm at a loss. Could my ECU be damaged?

I would definitely try swapping ECU's if at all possible, I think that would narrow things down for you.

Good luck.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, duckie said:

My 2019 Tracer GT runs just fine without a tune. I have no issues with it at any speed or rpm.

Improvement is all speculation.

No improvement needed saves you money for gas and tires.  👍

However, there is a difference between 'runs just fine' and optimized on a dyno, like all flash tunes are.  I have owned and ridden flashed and/or dyno tuned bikes and the improvement is zero speculation, the seat of the pants difference is verifiable. 

Stay safe and enjoy the ride.

Want to make sure I'm doing this correctly...another suggestion was there was too much oil. I didn't even get the 2.85 quarts in with this last change but OK.  So I drained a little. Went for a little around the block test and the oil level light came on. Then it went off then on and off one more time before I got back. Probably two miles. Nothing spirited other than one three second burst. I have the bike as level as I can and holding it up and level is in the middle of the glass. Is there something I'm missing?

Allow me to complain about this design. How about put on side stand and check a dipstick?  

Edited by Yamajank

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Want to make sure I'm doing this correctly...another suggestion was there was too much oil. I didn't even get the 2.85 quarts in with this last change but OK.

I have the bike as level as I can and holding it up and level is in the middle of the glass. Is there something I'm missing?

It actually likes to be filled a little more toward the top of the sight glass to avoid the red warning light.  3 quarts = 2.84 liters, which is what I have used with every oil and filter change, 3 quart bottles and done. 

I always fill the filter before installation, it will fill and then soak into the filter material and then I fill it again, the rest of the 3 quarts goes goes in the crank case.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 6/2/2021 at 11:15 PM, Yamajank said:

Anyone have a part number for these little guys?  Not showing in service manual. Standing here in local shop and they can't find them either. 

They don't have them and have no answers. What is a good replacement?  One has a small crack. 

^ Did this ever get resolved? (TB rubber caps)  I couldn't see anywhere in the thread where it got referenced as being repaired.  I can only assume it has been - but maybe worth the ask given that nearly everything else has either been tested or discounted and considering all of the symptoms below?!  Lean cylinder??

I'm certainly no expert, unlike many others here who are contributing, but felt the need (in the absence of a clear fix) to throw in the suggestion in case there's a 'wood for the trees' situation going on.

On 6/3/2021 at 7:08 AM, Yamajank said:

So Ivan really went through some things as best he could over the phone.  If there aren't any bad sensors, and because one of my plugs had a brown color and the other two did not, he thinks there could be a bad fuel injector.  Of course it would be a bit of a job to figure that out, and I did purchase the extended warranty which will be tricky apparently.  The bad injector would probably explain the smell and the rougher ride.  The throttle bodies were not in sync.  What I'd call 1&2 were good, but 3 was not very close.  I'll report back when I have a chance to ride it.  I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat.  haha

23 hours ago, Yamajank said:

UPDATE - So I've been through the injector cleaner (Fireball).  Didn't help.  If anything it made it worse.  Changed the oil, filter.  Didn't help.  Went for a ride today with @fjray.  Swapped bikes.  He felt what I have been describing.  It starts at about 4k RPM, can't miss at 4500 RPM, then doesn't really get worse unless you punch it and then it just kind of struggles.  Not really loss of power, but not the power that @fjray has.  His is also a leftover, and does not have Ivan's flash.  In fact he hasn't done anything at all.  And his is peppy-er.  And almost as smooth as mine with the flash. In fact if mine had run like his runs, I don't think I'd ever have worried about the flash. That makes me think mine has had an injector issue from the get go just like Ivan said.  He thinks it's possible that the O2 sensor was masking (compensating for) the issue.  So tonight I pulled the injectors.  The local shop said they had a little machine of some kind that will test them.  So that's the bottom line for me.  If they determine a bad injector, then hopefully they have one in stock and I'm back in business.  If they determine the injectors to all be fine, then I'm sending the ECU back to Ivan and getting the ECU back to stock.

11 hours ago, Yamajank said:

Injectors tested good. I'm at a loss. Could my ECU be damaged?

Failing a simple fix of a leaking TB rubber cap then getting a temporary swap of a stock 2019 ECU sounds like a logical step to discount that as being the issue - once and for all.

Good luck.   I'm following with interest.

12 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Failing a simple fix of a leaking TB rubber cap then getting a temporary swap of a stock 2019 ECU sounds like a logical step to discount that as being the issue - once and for all.

Good luck.   I'm following with interest.

I'll get the oil level worked out tomorrow.  FJray and I are planning on Sunday for ECU party.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I'll get the oil level worked out tomorrow.  FJray and I are planning on Sunday for ECU party.

Errr... The oil level was a discussion with betoney.  My point was about the possibility of a vacuum leak via a throttle body faulty rubber cap.

Anyway, if you've already determined that's not a problem then great to hear that you've got an ECU swap lined up.

6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Errr... The oil level was a discussion with betoney.  My point was about the possibility of a vacuum leak via a throttle body faulty rubber cap.

Anyway, if you've already determined that's not a problem then great to hear that you've got an ECU swap lined up.

Sorry, yes caps are good.  There really is no Yamaha part.  Just have to find generic.  Thanks for the interest and help.

*EDIT*

It's not listed under the Tracer parts diagrams, however looking under “throttle body” or "intake" in other models will pull it up (FJR, R1, R6, etc)

Have them order: 895-14169-00 Cap

if the ECM swap doesn’t make a difference, you need a fuel pressure test at idle, and a second one performed while the bike is acting up at 4500rpm.

-S

Edited by skipperT
  • Thanks 1