What boots do you ride in?

Cruizin

• Premium Member
Alpinestars S-MX 6 currently. Am going to look for a good waterproof touring boot in the near future.

I've been in A* S-MX waterproof boots for ~ 10 years. This is my second pair and A* re soled my first pair for my life. They are very waterproof and very comfortable.

Sidi Gore Tex Canyons for me also. Love em. Very comfortable, good protection and of course dry in wet riding. I've ridden in 28-105 degree temps and they're warm in the cold and not uncomfortable in the heat, though some air would be nice I guess. Not something I focus on that much. It took me a bit to know if I liked the ratchet style tightening device but it is not an issue and stayed reliable. I also like the vibram sole that has kept me confident even when I forget and put my foot down on a oil patch. No oops yet anyway. I've had mine four or five years now. No excessive wear on the left toe area even with no shift patch and thousands of shifts. They're still waterproof via my first step in the pool test, performed every so often. I do have some wear and quite a few miles on them but they've held up very well. So IMO, they're worth every penny. I've considered the Sidi Adventure boot, possible replacement when and if I wear the Canyons out. They look to offer more protection but lower the waterproof rating to water resistant. For me the trade off may be worth it as I'm in CA and we've had very little to almost no rain for awhile. My adventure creek crossings have been zero. I haven't tried on the Adventure boot yet. They may be too stiff to enable comfortable walking. I've grown accustomed to that with the Canyons. Especially once they soften up a bit. I have not had to use Sidi customer service so I can't comment on that. I've had zero issues with the Canyon's or the Sidi Vertigo Airs I have. The Vertigo Airs have fantastic protection, don't ask me how I know that, but they should as their a street oriented more racing style boot. Those Forma Adventure boots sure look nice. I just listened to a review. Hmmm
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Perhaps more of an ADV boot than Sport. Alpine Stars Toucan. Goretex. Can walk in them. Good protection. Very short compared to MX boots so they can fit in luggage.

alpinestars_toucan_gore_tex_boot_detail.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Forma Adventure 
20150406Sale8620-L.jpg
How are you liking these? I'm seriously considering these for my next pair (currently using Sidi Vertigos)
- very comfy for long walks, but not the most subtle boots and it's more natural to wear them with pants tucked inside - good stitches and leather
- shifting was awkward and stiff first week, but as with any leather boots, they softened after few rides and walks 
- clips are simple but they do the job
- stood in pond with water up to second clip for 10 min -> no signs of leakage 

I wear Rocky's.  The thing I like about them is they are comfortable to walk around in, the side zipper is awesome for over pants (easier to take the boots off and put the pants on than unzip the leg and get the pants on over the boot),  they have a composite toe, and they are waterproof.  They are not an official riding boot, but for the price, how can you go wrong?  They are true to size. 

• Thumbsup 1

I would be careful about wearing boots that are not designed for motorcycle use. They will not be CE rated so the level of protection is unknown. For me, the two most important factors in selecting riding boots are 1) protection and 2) all day riding comfort including wet conditions. You only need protection if you crash. I don't ride in non CE rated boots. Period.
  • Thumbsup 1
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

I would be careful about wearing boots that are not designed for motorcycle use. They will not be CE rated so the level of protection is unknown. For me, the two most important factors in selecting riding boots are 1) protection and 2) all day riding comfort including wet conditions. You only need protection if you crash. I don't ride in non CE rated boots. Period.

+1

As owner of this forum, I sometimes feel a responsibility to the safety of the people who read this forum. I have come up on riders who crash with regular boots or even worse, tennis shoes and man, it wasn't pretty for either.

Gear is like Insurance. It's expensive if done correctly. We hope that we never need it, but sure as heck don't wanna be flying thru the air and spending that split second wishing that we had gotten better gear.

I spend alot on gear. But, you can buy great gear used pretty cheap and often in great condition. Helmets should be bought new. Heck, if I even so much as drop a helmet on the concrete, I toss it and replace it. That may sound crazy to some, but read the crash rating guides and they paint a pretty clear picture.

I have a pair of Sidi Vertabre Race Carbon boots in size 11 that are in great shape and I would sell em cheap, if anyone needs.

You can go on many site's classifieds section and buy used gear cheap.

• Premium Member
An emergency doctor showed me a photo of a guy who came off wearing office shoes - the bones were ground off. It must have been incredibly painful. 
I learned to ride on a farm when I was 12 years old, on a Honda XL125. Grew up riding bare feet and in shorts (in a tropical climate). Thankfully never had an serious spills though I did lose plenty of skin at times. Have you ever felt an XT500 kick back against a bare shin  >:D?

• Premium Member
800px-Giant_7_Inch_Tall_Platform_Flip_Flop_Thongs.jpg
I like your nail polish Lee. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I just got myself a Sidi Armada. Comes with removable ankle/shin protection. Now I have option to go light and go commuter boot style and then go adventure style when I feel like it. I was riding with Sidi adventure gore-tex but that was too hardcore for me. I'm gonna put it on classified soon.
  • Thumbsup 1