What boots do you ride in?

Cruizin

After melting a chunk of the right heel off my Australian Rossi boots on an exhaust during a 600km day, I now normally ride in a pair of RJays Highway boots .

For variety and rides around town, I have just received a pair of brown Italian Falco Volts.
They're short and suitable to wear under jeans, and are reasonably comfortable to walk in.

FalcoVoltBoots3_zpsftnqjl0p.jpgFalcoVoltBoots2_zpsqyppbjjp.jpg

How comfortable are they to walk? Love the look!

For variety and rides around town, I have just received a pair of brown Italian Falco Volts.
They're short and suitable to wear under jeans, and are reasonably comfortable to walk in.

FalcoVoltBoots3_zpsftnqjl0p.jpgFalcoVoltBoots2_zpsqyppbjjp.jpg

How comfortable are they to walk? Love the look!

They're pretty comfortable. I'm slightly pronated and they feel fine. There is plenty of room around the ankle for me, I use the 4th notch of 14 on the ratchet. I wouldn't hike in them, but they've been fine around town as I've been wearing them in.

Way more comfortable than my old Rossi's (I've forgotten they're on, unlike the Rossi's) and not as comfortable as old hiking boots. 
My leathers are a bit short for these boots when on the bike, but my kevlar jeans and textile pants are fine.

They feel like engineer's boots and are not angled like race boots.
After inserting some "odor-eater" insoles, they're quite snug, and my feet get quite warm. I'm going to try different types of socks to see which are cooler.

I needed something to ride and that I could stand and walk all day while standing on a parking lot for 8 hours (motorcycle instructor). I found the Sidi Dohar very comfortable http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=44&lng_riv= 
When I expect rain, I simply add a pair of these : http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/socks/thin-mid-length-sock. Wore those while ice climbing and I was the only one with dry feet in the group.

I also have a stiffer older pair of low profile Sidi's I like but I have wide feet and they get uncomfortable on long rides.
Interesting socks !

Does anyone have sock tips ?
Long or short, thick or thin, wool, cotton or synthetic ?

I needed something to ride and that I could stand and walk all day while standing on a parking lot for 8 hours (motorcycle instructor). I found the Sidi Dohar very comfortable http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=44&lng_riv= 
When I expect rain, I simply add a pair of these : http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/socks/thin-mid-length-sock. Wore those while ice climbing and I was the only one with dry feet in the group.

I also have a stiffer older pair of low profile Sidi's I like but I have wide feet and they get uncomfortable on long rides.
Interesting socks ! 
Does anyone have sock tips ?
Long or short, thick or thin, wool, cotton or synthetic ?

I got mine at Bass Pro Shop and they don't look exactly like the ones I posted.  I backpack and hike which has led me to try all sorts of socks combinations for all seasons. I chose mid length since I expected to have my feet submerged on some trips but for riding is probably a personal preference. I find shorter socks more comfortable and go longer only for warmth.    I find synthetic is the way to go when warmth and confort for heavy hiking or simply staying warm since it keeps you warm even wet.  If wool gets wet, you will have colder feet than synthetic. Cotton is a summer material. 
For cruising around town in dry weather without much walking just about anything will do.  If I expected sweating, a polypro sock liner under the socks made me more confortable. For thickness, if cold and long walks are expected, thick is better. Otherwise, whatever you prefer.

That said, synthetics melt on you on fire or a high speed dismount. Since we are talking socks is probably not an issue but did not want to "oversell" synthetics. And you need to be comfortable wearing your foot wear.

Hope that helps.

• Premium Member
For those in Europe, the heavy duty socks sold in Aldi & Lidl, often as "work" or "builders" socks are great, especially for winter riding inside goretex Daytona boots. They are a wool/nylon mix.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Smartsox compression socks for long rides! SmartWool socks make boots fit like gloves and keep foot sweat down.  Bonus is that wool works well to keep you warm but breathes. 
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Smartsox compression socks for long rides! SmartWool socks make boots fit like gloves and keep foot sweat down.  Bonus is that wool works well to keep you warm but breathes. 
Thanks for that @bobdog !  Makes sense to use compression socks on long rides, to combat DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis), as on flights.

I've ordered some Smartwool and some Coolmax socks to see how well they'll wick away sweat from hot feet.
Cheers, Rob

I have cortech latigo air boots. They keep my feet pretty cool while riding and once they got broken in they aren't too bad to walk around in. But if I were going on a weekend trip only bringing my boots I may look for something else more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm sporting some well-used Alpinestars SVX boots. I bought them used from a coworker, and have been wearing them nearly everyday for the past year and a half. They're quite squeaky at the ankle hinge and the sole is wearing out. Made some adjustment to the shift and rear brake lever on the FJ and they work well and feel safe. I'm gonna read through to see what is recommended as I imagine these boots may be close to end of life.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Tcx Eco infinity is a beefy yet comfortable gore Tex adv boot with a high level of protection for the road. I researched it all and settled on this. Can change gear easily which is a problem on more dirt oriented boots with fat stiff toe boxes. Especially for $278 non EU vat free price, shipped from Europe fast for $30. This is a $400+ boot in the us. Get the right size though if ordering from Europe. 43 fit my US 10 perfectly.
http://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/tcx-infinity-evo-goretex-boots-black/1329054/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=1774707&country=us&gclid=CKfcwZ6QjMkCFRMjgQodLIEKsQ&gclsrc=aw.ds