What boots do you ride in?

Cruizin

I haven't bought riding boots yet... Haven't bought the bike yet, either, but it's coming as soon as we get our income tax money back. Which boots would y'all suggest for someone who isn't accustomed to wearing boots?
Depends on how you ride your bike and what you do during your bike rides.   
If you like going hiking and such and ride your bike to those locaitons, get a good leather hiking boot, try Danners Crater Rim boot.  I used Danner Rainforest boots for 150K and they are still like new, and can be rebuilt if needed.  Worth it if you hike.

If you ride all day, get a touring boot.  I currently ride with Cycle Gear's Pro Tourer Boot.  They are short and fit just about better then any other boot I have put on, with double zips in the front.  Waterproof (?) and cheap too.  A good boot should last more than 100K, My Alpinestars are going on 200K, still useable but the soles are almost gone.  I was out washing the car yesterday, breaking in the Pro Tourers and they feel great.  I expect to get 3-4 years out of them (75-100K).  You can spend more 150-350 for a Touring boot, and it just depends on what your expectations are.  There are many boots much better then the Cycle Gear's and they will last longer too.  You have to ask yourself, how much are you going to use them and way it out for how much do you want spend.  Good Luck.
  • Thumbsup 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Boots are a real personal fit. Unfortunately many people buy what they think is cool, rather than what fits properly.

I have an A* foot shape. Many other brands just aren't right for me. Result = boot is too loose.

My winter and touring boot is the SMX6 Goretex. Summer (around-town only) I use the SMX1 shoe.

Guest branthopolis
Has anyone tried the Gaerne Altus or Balance?
I haven't tried those particular models, but I've owned several pairs of Gaerne boots over the years and found them all to be decent value and very high quality...

Has anyone tried the Gaerne Altus or Balance?
I have been riding a pair of Gaerne Balance Oiled for three seasons so far. They have taken massive abuse off-roading and on. Expensive but quality. Nothing lasts forever, but I think I'll get 4-6 seasons on these.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

bobdog, mine are pretty broken in but I dont have any problems shifting. The toe box is more like a cowboy boot than a big squared off area like many of the dual-sport boots. You give up some protection but gain immensely in comfort. These dont protect as well as my A Star MX5's but they are again, way more comfortable.

As we are riding street and maybe gravel on these I wouldnt think it would be much of an issue. I would even go so far as to say I would buy them again knowing what I now know. In my mind there is no higher praise for a product :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

docsimple, everyone, thanks for the responses - a set of gaernes is on it's way - hope you are right. According to wessie, I've got beastly brogans that need drastic downsizing... (rofl)   This'll be the third set of boots, so hope it's right the stuff. Wishing I'd kept my ratty old High Points. 
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I made the score of the decade about 10-12 years ago when I scooped up a pair of Sidi's "Combat Touring Boot" with the cleated sole sold by Aerostich. The MSRP for the boots was right around $350, found a guy on the internet who had a pair that were only worn once. Honestly. $100 + $10 shipping. Here's a linky to the exact same boots:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-combat-touring-boots-20.html

Sure enough, the boots looked absolutely brand new and fit me *perfectly*. I have had them re-soled twice, cost was about $50, IIRC. The boots are awesome and will probably last me another 10-15 years, they are exceptionally well made and even worth every penny of the MSRP....

-CD-

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I wear Vendramini Aero Air-Tex Boots - These are good down to about 50 degrees (F) They seem to provide a reasonable amount of protection.  The inside zipper allows for easy on and off while the lace up design allows me to get a snug and comfortable fit.

2015 FJ-09 Red
2012 1200GS - sold
2005 1200GS - sold
2005 650GS - sold

• 1 month later...
Perhaps more of an ADV boot than Sport. Alpine Stars Toucan. Goretex. Can walk in them. Good protection. Very short compared to MX boots so they can fit in luggage. 
alpinestars_toucan_gore_tex_boot_detail.jpg

I have been upgrading my riding gear, and went from 10 year old Sidis that look pretty much like shoes to the A* Toucan. I like the styling. I can comfortably walk in them. They have been warm and fit well. Unfortunately they don't get along with my shifter at all.

Has anyone else been able to wear these with only a shifter adjustment? I like the protection these boots offer but not at the cost of missing shifts.

Any issues with boot thickness and the shifter with the Sidi Canyon Goretex boots?

Hoping a shifter adjustment will fix these for me. If not, how do you guys sell your once worn motorcycle gear? I'm too honest to return them to Revzilla since I wore them riding.

I wear the Forma Adventure Low. I had to move the shift up just a bit to help with shifting, but I love the boots. They are comfy on and off the bike. I have hiked in them for short stints. They feel like sturdy work boots off the bike.