18 hours ago, wordsmith said:

No more Spyders - I developed arachniphobia after short outing on one!   The MP3 500 is not available here.   But thanks for the thoughts...

Only in my late 60s but see age creeping up on me.  Every time I'm in a bike shop will check out the Spiders and such.  For me it is something of the wind I'm my face and the freedom to go.  Saw a three wheeler at the bike shop, don't recall the name but it had a steering wheel and was a side by side.  Not my choice but could see it at some point as a great vehicle to take on a long trip.  Wind in my face and rain and cold and heat and all the "fun" stuff but most of all the ability to see all around and take in the country as I go thru.  

Second @TomTracer comments about meds.  Have had heart issues which have been corrected with surgery - coronary arteries are good so diet is not affected.  I can attest meds and med changes can mess with you.  

@2and3cylinders here's photo for you - from Barber Vintage Festival

adj-1598.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, Heavy said:

Funny ... I'll often comment to my wife that someone in a store or parking lot "looks old." ... She'll just smile and say "Ya, he's probably the same age as you."

Yes, they can be cruel like that. 🤨

• Haha 1

I’m in the happy position of having retired early at 60. I’m now 64 and finally, after some terrible personal tragedies, I’m able to enjoy riding to the fullest. I’ve had a 2018 GT from new with almost 30k on the clock and it just keeps getting better (after the usual mods). I also ride alone and, whilst not blowing any trumpets, I’m just as fast as when I was 24 only then I was a lunatic but now it’s controlled.  I have a couple of mates who still work so I see them at weekends and we all ride at the same pace.  Since covid I’ve been exploring this little group of islands called Britain because foreign travel was off the agenda. And I’m so glad I did. I’ve seen so much that I can’t begin to imagine how you guys in North America choose where to go next in such a vast landmass. 

My health (touch wood) is currently ok so I’m taking advantage and making hay while the sun shines. My wife no longer rides. Her nerve has gone since her heart attack (she’s in excellent health now).  I hope I’m still riding when I get to Wordsmith’s age and don’t go gaga first!  You’re an inspiration Wordy. I’m sure you’ll be back on two wheels in some way or other. You’ve had more comebacks than Elton John!

• Thumbsup 3

If you haven't sat on a Gen6 Wing, you should check it out.

The bike hefts off the side stand just about as easily as the Tracer does and is actually quite a bit easier to mount because it is so, so low to the ground.  Honda really did mold this new Wing to the older rider.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

If you haven't sat on a Gen6 Wing, you should check it out.

The bike hefts off the side stand just about as easily as the Tracer does and is actually quite a bit easier to mount because it is so, so low to the ground.  Honda really did mold this new Wing to the older rider.

I appreciate your input and I'm sure you're correct

it just scares me it's so big!

And being so big the other caviot is where the heck do I find room for it

I've already got 5 and that's 2 too many as it is.

Eventually I'm going to have to get my low mile VTR from a friend who's been storing it since I bought it from him, And the other I'm sure I'm going to sell and after that my duplicate VTR.

it's just all a matter of time for the winter

And that time has just about run out

I won't be able to walk in my shop let alone use it, and I've got stuff to do

so I'm at a breaking point now

maybe in the future I'll get a test ride or rent one.

And then there's work and the Winter time honey do list

I'm supposed to have more surgery but right now I'm not up to it even in the off season

Been riding since 1977. Been Teaching MC Safety for 15 years. I commute daily and still do IBA rides. Finished a SS2000 Gold and a BBG1500 in State Montana ride this summer. Would have done a SS3000 Gold to but the radiator cap failed on me and the bike was running way too hot for comfort. I plan on riding and teaching as long as possible. Don't ride as fast as I use to but ride smarter. I hope to be able to stay two up well into my late 70's and maybe 80's. But we'll see. Theres still a lot of riding to do and I'm still planning on IBA rides every year. Next one will be a SS3000 or 4000 or even a 5000 if I feel good enough after the first 3000 miles in three days. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member

Your nutz!!

And I hope you can.

But that many miles a day consecutively cannot be good for your body in the long term.

It's sometimes unfortunate how in a span of say only 3 years how one's health can decline rapidly.

Stuff you did as a "kid" (even into  your 40s and early 50s) suddenly catches up with you despite the best intentions and being careful.  And then there's the luck of the draw.

Regardless, you have to keep your chin up and keep pushing toward recovery, and get back up again after setbacks (which seem to invariably occur).  It just can be very hard, even with a loving, supportive family.

Are you doing those miles on an FJ/Tracer?!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 10/25/2022 at 6:57 PM, PhotoAl said:

Only in my late 60s but see age creeping up on me.  Every time I'm in a bike shop will check out the Spiders and such.  For me it is something of the wind I'm my face and the freedom to go.  Saw a three wheeler at the bike shop, don't recall the name but it had a steering wheel and was a side by side.  Not my choice but could see it at some point as a great vehicle to take on a long trip.  Wind in my face and rain and cold and heat and all the "fun" stuff but most of all the ability to see all around and take in the country as I go thru.  

Second @TomTracer comments about meds.  Have had heart issues which have been corrected with surgery - coronary arteries are good so diet is not affected.  I can attest meds and med changes can mess with you.  

@2and3cylinders here's photo for you - from Barber Vintage Festival

adj-1598.jpg

I guess I saw you go by!!!! 😎

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, 2linby said:

Theres still a lot of riding to do and I'm still planning on IBA rides every year. Next one will be a SS3000 or 4000 or even a 5000 if I feel good enough after the first 3000 miles in three days. 

Good luck on achieving your goals though that doesn't sound the least bit pleasant or enjoyable to me. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 10/28/2022 at 2:53 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Are you doing those miles on an FJ/Tracer?!

Bone stock 2016 FJ09. Except for the custom saddle, heated hand grips, electric cruiser control, GPS, Madstad shield, Shad cases, Denali highway lights, case guard, forward foot pegs, lowering link, rebuilt front suspension, customized rear lights, Delkevic exhaust, K&N air filter, Barkbuster hand guards, Rizoma handlebars with Helibars set backs BMW style hplug in for my electric vest, dual USB ports, ram mounts for my phone, GPS, camera and countdown timer, magnetic Tank bag, hi-way blaster horn, Woodcrafters front axle and rear sliders, Custom hydration system. 1.6 bar radiator cap. Retro-reflective strips everywhere! Extra rear and brake lights. 17/43 gearing with gold DID X-Chain. Mirror extenders and DRL's.

Next is a auxiliary fuel cell. I just haven't got up the nerve to drill a bulkhead hole in my fuel tank. But I will before my next IBA run. Looking at a SS3000 or SS4000 and maybe a SS5000 if the motorcycle Gods are favorable to me. 

On 10/28/2022 at 2:53 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Edited by 2linby
  • Haha 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy