What Helmet do you ride in?

Cruizin

I have not weighed mine but when researching the helmet it looks like it is about 1800 grams (about 250 heavier than the C3 Pro).

I do not feel like the helmet is too heavy but don't have any rides longer than 2 hours yet.

• Premium Member
After putting in about 500 miles with my new Shoei Neotec, thought it was time for a review. In short this helmet is fantastic! 

Am I wrong in thinking that when I opened "tech Specs" on the Shoei page - http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Neotec&h=21&t=1 that I expected to see the weight? This is one of my main considerations for a helmet.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/shoei-neotec says 1.61kg so 250g heavier than a fixed helmet like the NXR 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I have the Suomy MX Tourer. By far the best helmet I have ever had. I have neck issues, so light weight is a priority for me. The MX Tourer weighs ~1200 grams. I do not believe there is another ADV style helmet on the market that weighs less than that.

• Premium Member
After putting in about 500 miles with my new Shoei Neotec, thought it was time for a review. In short this helmet is fantastic! 

Agreed 100%. Love my Neotec! I used to wear only Arai because of their fantastic comfort and fit on my mid-oval head. But the Neotec matches it, then adds the drop down visor and convenience of a modular. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I've got a Shark RSi helmet, mainly chose it because it had the best fit (long narrow shape) and has a 4 Star SHARP rating. Installed a pinlock defog screen on it (works perfectly).

Pros:
- Excellent top ventilation
- Good design (in my opinion)
- Safe according to SHARP rating
- Reasonably affordable (paid about 380 euros)

Cons:
- Heavy (+- 1600 grams)(Although i have a slender build, i dont really mind it unless i ride longer than 4 hours because i dont take enough breaks)
- Quite pricey additional visors (about 70-80 euros)

Guest highplainsrider
I have a Suomy Apex. Incredible helmet - under 3 lbs and under $300. Quieter than my Shoei GT Air as well.

• Premium Member
I almost exclusively ran Shoei until last year when I picked up a Bell Star. I really like it. It has great airflow, super comfortable, stable, transitions shield but fairly noisy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I will be getting a Neotec next week. I've tried on a size small (which is comfy) but the Shoei size chart puts me at the high end of an x-small. The local Cycle Gear location is bringing in an XS so I can compare.

This will be my first modular helmet. I have a long tour scheduled for July so the time seems right to make the switch.

I'm going for the brilliant yellow color. My new jacket lacks hi viz, pants are black, and bike is matte grey. I feel like I might be blending into the road.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Agreed 100%. Love my Neotec! I used to wear only Arai because of their fantastic comfort and fit on my mid-oval head. But the Neotec matches it, then adds the drop down visor and convenience of a modular. 

I'll add to that, I've had my neotech for about 12,000 miles between my previous svf650 and this bike and I have nothing but praise for it. I never go back to a non modular helmet, it's way too convenient. The quality difference between this one and my previous is astounding.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

• Premium Member
I have not weighed mine but when researching the helmet it looks like it is about 1800 grams (about 250 heavier than the C3 Pro).  
I do not feel like the helmet is too heavy but don't have any rides longer than 2 hours yet.
Good resource: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm 
Some of the helmets are older models.

I just picked up a Kabuto Ibuki in red... I've had a Bell RS1 for a few years and now that I got the FJ, I felt I needed something more sport touring minded. These have often been compared to the shoei in fit and finish. Got it from motorcycle closeout at an amazing price... Plus the red matches almost perfect to the fastest FJ color (red). Here's a video review