What Helmet do you ride in?

Cruizin

I have the Scorpion EXO AT950 with the Sena 10C. Fits perfect. No issues. Love the helmet. I just finished a 1500 mile trip with it and have no complaints. Love the bang for the buck on this helmet. The anti fog coating on the visor works better than expected. No reason for a pinlock.

• 1 year later...
On 4/26/2015 at 1:39 PM, wessie said:

The NXR seems to be taking that price point now in Europe and seems identical to the current RF1200 on Shoei's US website

Seems you need a helmet that takes the CWR1 visor to get it in the Transitions material
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/235433 - £120 in the UK, or 3 times the price of a standard one. I think I'll keep wearing sunglasses!

Wow, now £150 in the UK 

I've just bought an NXR and a light tint (I "think" it was described as medium on the packaging) visor. Visor not legal in the UK but I used a light tint on my Karl Bomber Harris (RIP) replica XR1000 and it was fine in the rain and even night time use.

I have a new Shoei RF-SR and took it for a first ride this weekend, about 200 miles.  I was in a Bell Vortex (I prefer SNELL rated helmets) for the last couple years so that's my baseline.  The Shoei is MUCH quieter and I had much less turbulence.  The venting seems OK, but I need to get some hot weather riding in before I make a final judgement.  My large helmet fits very well and I added the Transitions visor and my Sena 20s without any problems.  Since my FJ has a windscreen on it, I traded bikes with a friend during the ride and tried some miles on a naked CB 1100.  I could hear the whoosh of wind, but no low frequency rumbling like I did in the Bell.  I'll write more as I get more experience but for now, I think this one is a worthwhile upgrade.   

Hjc rpha70. Why ? Because the cheaper IS-17 didn't fit me well. Shame, it was really quite nice. The same size in rpha range seemed a bit more oval and a way better fit.  Great top scoop ventilation, internal sun shield, which comes down a long way, unlike some. Nice and light, acu rated and reasonably quite. All subjective, but, a good fitting helmet is essential no matter what make. They all fit different shape heads. If your trying loads on, wear a thin balaclava, your ears will thank you for it. 

• Premium Member

I was using Scorpion  EXO-R2000. Found it really good, reasonable cost with features of expensive gear. Had a low side, helmet hold it really well. 

I was sold on Scorpion and got modular EXO-GT920 for street riding. Using it about a year now so far no major complaint. Good air circulation, soft padding, speakers cutout, sun visor, anti fog visor, glasses cutout. Feel cheap material, modular locking is clumsy (stop working after dust [cold desseet] ride, washed helmet shell that fix the issue)

ED49A27D-F4AB-4251-AF17-916CFFEB2EAD.jpeg

498D6680-5101-4815-9C49-B606535DA2BD.jpeg

I've always had Arai helmets in the past, but recently picked up a Schuberth C4 when they went to half price on Revzilla. Great helmet but a bit heavier than what I'm used to. The thing that I don't care for is that they only have two shell sizes. My size medium looks huge on me! Other than that, it's a good helmet. I'll probably go back to Arai.

• Premium Member

Shoei Neotec - I have an Arai-shaped head, but Shoei makes at least 2 helmets for long oval types like me (the RF series is the other).  The Neotec is comfortable, quiet and the flip-face is convenient.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

Started with HJC, moved to Scorpion, then loved the quality of Shoei but even the RF was painful on my forehead after a few hours.  The Arai Signet is the only helmet that fits my head properly and I find the quality and noise reduction unsurpassed.

WWW.ARAIAMERICAS.COM

The official online home of Arai Helmets in the Americas.

I use the HJC IS-17, it's a full-face polycarbonate with an integrated sunshield and here's the best part, rated by SHARP, UK at 5 stars. The rating is higher than some of the other more expensive makes with an integrated sunshield. 

Here's the link to the safety rating - 

hjc-is-17.jpg
SHARP.DFT.GOV.UK

hjc-is17-grapple-mc3.jpg

They also released a cool Iron Man themed scheme.

hjc-cl-17-iron-man-mc-1-right-side.jpg

Edited by nico

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, delete said:

Shoei GT-Air

And the Shoei GT-Air happens to be on closeout at Revzilla

WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Shop Shoei GT Air Helmets - Free Shipping, No Hassle Returns and the Lowest Prices - Guaranteed

• 4 weeks later...

I've always been a long time Shoei RF helmet guy going back to the RF800 through RF1200. I just picked up my first Shoie GT-Air and though it isn't snell approved, I am super impressed. BTW, I picked it up for $100 under going rate over at motorcyclegear.com (my first purchase from them and very happy).

Now need to mount a Sena and I'm ready for some group rides.

• 4 weeks later...

375-0109-2310-07.jpg

Shoei RF 1200 Valkyrie graphic.

This is the first helmet I've had that actually fits me. Overall I really like this helmet. But there are a few niggles that I have with it.  

While it is quiter than my previous helmets without ear plugs, with them in it's louder. I've determined that it's bone conduction, very low frequency drumming. I've tried every ear plug I can and they all have the same result, extremely loud low frequency drumming that wasn't there with my previous helmets. I think it has to do with how the helmet fits tight on my head and the dirty air from the front of the bike transferring the vibrations straight to the bone behind my ears. Even behind the big Givi touring screen, without ear plugs it's basically silent, with ear plugs it's like my head is in a bass drum.

This is my first pinlock visor. I love the function, I hate looking through it. 

Other than that it's a great helmet. Vents well. Hard to fog up even without the pinlock in. And comfortable.

• Thumbsup 1