What Helmet do you ride in?

Cruizin

I'm retired now, but of all of the types and makes of helmet that I was issued with, I had no choice about the make or model. Just had to accept the one which was being purchased over that period. Before the days of H&S, we wore fabric horse riding Jodhpurs and nylon jackets. Our helmets were half faced and we were issued with a pair of stadium split screen goggles (of which I still have an unused pair). Make me laugh and shudder at the same time.
I finished up with a BMW full face hemet and made to measure BKS leathers with armour fitted!
Jodhpurs, ouch. Seems Old Bill has actually made progress over the years. Do you still wear a flip-up on your Tracer? I am considering one but don't know what the disadvantages would be, more noise I guess for one. But I sometimes get very hot and almost claustrophobic in my full face helmet in summer and it would be nice to flip it open at stand still.
I've pretty much always used a flip front helmet Johan. I'm wearing a Caberg justissimo GT at present, it was fairly easy to strip out and install microphones for the comms. and one for the camera. I can also quickly chuck the lining in the wash. It is useful to be able to flip it up at traffic lights etc. and for when I need to chat to a student briefly.
it is going to be heavier than a standard helmet, but I don't mind this. It's probably noisier, but I always wear earplugs. In fact I feel that it vibrates less than a light helmet due to the inertia required to move the heavier weight. :D

What is the legal situation in the USA?

Dark visors aren't legal at night here either. My question had to do with the transitions lenses, the whole point of which is to darken when it's light out, and clear up when it's dark out. It says on the purchasing site that they're not street legal! How could that not be street legal? I also noticed that the clear pin lock lens that shipped with my Shoei RF1200 had a disclaimer that it was not legal for night riding either!

I don't get how they would sell something that is legally useless. My guess is it's a way of dodging liability. But it puts the rider in an awkward place when deciding whether to use it. I'm incredulous that they would do something like that.

• Premium Member
I didn't say any of that in the previous post - paulyp has messed up the attributions.

In Europe a visor has to be CE marked to be legal on the road. This applies in all European Union countries. There are different regulations for racing, often with different ones in different countries. In the UK we have "ACU Gold certification" - it's a mess.

Personally, I just buy a dark visor from Ebay and use it. Usually for half the price of the Shoei one. Neither will have CE certification. I ride to work wearing jeans. I'm an irresponsible rebel.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Sorry for messing up the quotes. I don't know what I'm doing, obviously. Is there a primer for how to do that stuff?

I rode today with the pin lock visor that shipped with my Shoei. Works great. My sunglasses fit fine too, so I won't be getting The transitions anytime soon. It sounds like a great idea though. I will be curious to see if anyone out there uses them and what the results are.

• Premium Member
Sorry for messing up the quotes. I don't know what I'm doing, obviously. Is there a primer for how to do that stuff?  
I rode today with the pin lock visor that shipped with my Shoei. Works great. My sunglasses fit fine too, so I won't be getting The transitions anytime soon. It sounds like a great idea though. I will be curious to see if anyone out there uses them and what the results are.

When quoting I prefer to use the plain text editor so you can see the quote tags [have words in square brackets]

You can access this easily by clicking the BBCode tab at the bottom of every post you make.

For an older IT geek like me it is more intuitive to use than the really wonky GUI this forum software presents at times. I prefer the vbulletin format...

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Arai Corsair. Isle of Man edition.   Regular shield with pin lock and sunglasses. 
I'm jealous! 
I love the IOM graphic Arais, but I have a Signet head... and Signets always get the 2nd rate graphics... >:D

Currently in a Signet Q "Zero Red".

I have a bell revolver evo pinstripe, matched my ninja 500 pretty well. It is definitely noisier than the gloss black scorpion exo 1100 I have, also the vents on the exo can be finicky to keep open. But I needed one that was Snell rated for a college competition and it was cheap.

For the exo I bought a tinted green/gold reflective visor, mainly because it matched my school colors. And it looks pretty damn cool, but they do scratch easily.

I've though about the transition visor but having the flip down visor in the bell I haven't been able to justify it

Arai Rebel
My first new lid after my 9 years off bikes, it seems very noisy ( I dont remember my last Arai  being as loud as this) 
I brought it before I got my Fazer, as I planned on getting a Bandit originaly, just to get a year or so back on a bike before I got a 'better' bike, and the Rebel is touted as a lid to be used on naked bikes, but its as loud on the Tracer as it was on the Fazer, but it fits really snug, has lots of useful air vents and is the best lid ive had for putting my glasses on with, so I'll stick with it. Just started the process of getting some made to measure ear plugs made, so hopefully that'll sort it. (And I can get it serviced for free every year at the bike show in brum ) 

Guest spunrdneck
I ride with Arai Defiant. It's LOUD as hell. Not impressed. Looking to get Shoei GT-Air maybe.
I picked up the GT-air when I got my FJ, (always need a new helmet with a new bike!) I love it! best venting helmet I have owned so far! gotta love the sun visor/ blast shield feature too!

Agv AX8 dual evo.

Comfortable, kind of quiet, great aerodynamic, good ventilation, also looks mean on the naked configuration.

Downside, the top of the visor scratches itself with the top seal, doesn't intrud on the field of view, but doesn't look good...

Just picked up a LaZer Monaco carbon modular.Only 100grams heavier than my carbon full face. Will be riding with it this weekend, hoping it's a winner.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock