What Helmet do you ride in?

Cruizin

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Got a new helmet with double D ring strap. My old one has a Quick Release Pull Buckle strap. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket quick release buckle to replace the double D rings? I would like to think that it would be an upgrade but am unsure of the safety aspects?

4 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Got a new helmet with double D ring strap. My old one has a Quick Release Pull Buckle strap. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket quick release buckle to replace the double D rings? I would like to think that it would be an upgrade but am unsure of the safety aspects?

I don't think can change from D rings to quick release as this could compromise the safety of the helmet shell itself, but i will be proven wrong..

P.S. why didn't you buy a crash helmet with quick release bucket like your last one to start with 🤔

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, littlebruv said:

P.S. why didn't you buy a crash helmet with quick release bucket like your last one to start with 🤔

I don't think I could ride my bike to the North Pole to make a return so I'm considering adding the quick release.

I found a few examples and would like feedback from those who may have used them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB4bulLrqmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMb_pKv7xCo

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

51 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

I found a few examples and would like feedback from those who may have used them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB4bulLrqmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMb_pKv7xCo

Those look like a good inexpensive solution that you were looking for. 

I have been using the double D-ring for over 45 years, it has never occurred to me to consider using anything else.  Post up your impression after you try it out.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...

Road earlier this week with my AGV K6.  It was 37F which isn't super cold but I've always had problems with helmet visor fogging on other helmets.  This was perfect, I could completely close it and it didn't fog!  Over the years have had several helmets and all fogged, some worse than others.  Had a couple of PinLock inserts in a Shoei RF1100 which generally tamed it fierce tendency to fog.  As they aged and the seal became less perfect so did the anti-fogging abilities.  My Shark Race R Pro had a mask that went over the nose, it helped but wasn't perfect.  I've also used something called Breathy which went over the bridge of my nose.  All were less than perfect and some were fiddly and difficult to get positioned properly.  The AGV without the pillock is the best helmet I've had without a PinLock.  The AGV with a PinLock is fantastic.  Last June when I left on my long trip could not locate my PinLock inset so left without it.  Had one bad day of riding in cold rain had to crack the visor but not too bad.  In my Shark I would have to squeegee the inside of my visor when riding long distances in the rain.  I think the AGV K6 will be very good in the rain with the PinLock in.  When leaving for a long trip in the summer it's sometimes hard to remember to take the winter helmet gear.  When its 95F when you are leaving its hard to imagine 55F and raining but almost every trip I've encountered a day of riding in 55F and rain and wind.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received a Shoei RF-SR for Christmas. I then spent part of my latest Federal COVID stimulus check on the transition shield.

I've never spent more than a $100 and change on a helmet before, so this is all new ground for me.

It will be a few more months before I can try it out, but initial impressions are favorable

helmet.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 1

When I got back into riding, I learned that I had been wearing the wrong helmets for the last decade.  Apparently I'm a long oval and that would explain why I had constant red/hot spots on my forehead after every ride.  Decided to change things up, and spend a little extra on a "nice" helmet with some bells and whistles that was also a long oval design.  Ended up finding the LS2 Challenger GT and am in love with it.  The size was great, the built in full sunshield is too cool and useful.  They make a special add-on bluetooth audio by Sena too.  I ended up getting a Cardo Freecom 4+ to go with it.  Took a little bit of modding to fit it, but it works like a charm now.

https://www.ls2usa.com/challenger-gt

https://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-Linkin-Ridepal-Bluetooth/dp/B06XBZ1ZZ7

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Convair77 said:

When I got back into riding, I learned that I had been wearing the wrong helmets for the last decade.  Apparently I'm a long oval and that would explain why I had constant red/hot spots on my forehead after every ride.

Good to hear that you finally found the correct fit helmet, unfortunately it took 10 years.  I had the same issue when I first bought riding gear many years ago, not all helmets are the same shape and I had the same red pressure marks on my forehead, which would limit my riding to about 2 hours before it became too painful.

I would recommend to any rider buying a helmet, get your head shape measured at a cycle accessory shop like Cycle Gear or Revzilla and determine which helmets will fit your head shape because not all helmets are the same.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***