What Helmet do you ride in?

Cruizin

On 5/21/2021 at 1:01 PM, kmh0 said:

Shoei RF-1200

Same here. I just got a left over RF-1200, as I don't care for the new center lock visor release on the new RF-1400. Key for me was buying a size smaller than the previous one- they really get loose as they break in. Perfect fit now- I love this lid.

• Supporting Member

I am on my 2nd LS2 modular. First one was damaged when a deer ran me into a ditch. Chin bar took some impact but did not fail. Previously had a Bilt modular but didn't like the sail effect when in the open face position. I considered a Shoei Neotec modular but still had the sail effect and it was more than I wanted to pay for a helmet. The chin bar and face shield on the LS2 follows the contour of the helmet for smooth airflow when open.  It's great to be able to catch some air on those hot summer days or open it up to talk to someone. Add in the drop down sun visor, pin lock and quick release chin strap and this helmet has everything I want. Modulars are inherently noisier than full face but I wear hearing protection anyway.

20210620_182140.jpg

20210620_182214.jpg

20210620_182240.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

Still have my K6, found the Pinlock insert and had it in for my trip in June.  It works very well in the rain.  Only trouble I had with the helmet in the rain is when I stopped to put my rain jacket on AFTER the rain started, I opened the visor and got rain on the inside.  From there it was a battle.  The other times I encountered rain including a very heavy thunderstorm it did almost perfectly.  If the bottom vent is open raindrops will sometimes sneak in.  

When it's dry the helmet if perfect.  One comment about sizing, AGV on the K6 and some of their other helmet has a medium small and a medium large.  If you are having trouble with a medium from others this might be a good solution for you.  A medium is almost perfect in other helmets but in the K6 medium large after 20,000 miles it is a bit loose and have thought about trying the medium small but would take some time to break in.  I believe in buying the smallest helmet I can squeeze my head in and after the initial wear in it will be a good fit.  

It has been down to 32F and up to 105F.  LOL at both of those extremes I left the visor closed when moving above a slow speed.  At 105F it was a bit warm but not intolerable - it's white for visibility and for cool.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

One comment about sizing, AGV on the K6 and some of their other helmet has a medium small and a medium large.  If you are having trouble with a medium from others this might be a good solution for you.  A medium is almost perfect in other helmets but in the K6 medium large after 20,000 miles it is a bit loose and have thought about trying the medium small but would take some time to break in.  I believe in buying the smallest helmet I can squeeze my head in and after the initial wear in it will be a good fit.

Does AVG offer different size cheek pads and shell liner pad for each size helmet to help customize the fit? 

With Shoei each size (S, M, L and XL) has a standard size cheek and shell liner pad as well as +4mm and -4mm pads available.  I have a rounder shape face so I use the standard shell liner with -4mm cheek pads which results in truly all day (or all week long) comfort. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 8/22/2021 at 3:20 PM, betoney said:

Does AVG offer different size cheek pads and shell liner pad for each size helmet to help customize the fit?

Yes, but they're like $100 for the AGV K6. You basically replace both cheek pads and the neck roll in one unit.

• Thumbsup 2

One thing I've learned is that there's quite a bit of difference in fit on Shoei's once they're broken in, they get way looser. Like a one size difference in my RF1200's- it's critical to expect and adjust for it when fitting shell size, thicker pads aren't enough. Don't know if this applies to AGV and LS2.

A good modular helmet is the Nolan 100-5.  It is ECE certified to ride in the Jet position (chin bar up and locked).  You get minimum sail effect due to the elliptical mechanism that keeps the chin bar close to the shell.  The ventilation is adequate.  It is relatively quiet for a modular, quieter than my AGV full face.

Two drawbacks are it's a bit heavy with the medium weighing in at 3.8 pounds and that you need to either cut the neck portion to fit a non-adhesive comm unit.

The price is pretty good at around $400. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Besides the obvious safety upgrades can someone school me on the difference between a $350 and a $1200 helmet. I got a Sedici Sistema 2 modular helmet last year from Cycle Gear that I have been very happy with.

I just had little pieces (spring etc) go flying when changing out the face shield. On close inspection the base plate parts for raising and lowering the shield are plastic. Do $1200 helmets have all metal parts?

Have you been surprised to find plastic parts where you expected metal on your helmet?

12 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Besides the obvious safety upgrades can someone school me on the difference between a $350 and a $1200 helmet. I got a Sedici Sistema 2 modular helmet last year from Cycle Gear that I have been very happy with.

I just had little pieces (spring etc) go flying when changing out the face shield. On close inspection the base plate parts for raising and lowering the shield are plastic. Do $1200 helmets have all metal parts?

Have you been surprised to find plastic parts where you expected metal on your helmet?

For non load bearing/protective parts you want plastic, it's much lighter and weight is a critical factor.  

More expensive helmets tend to have more premium features and aftermarket support (see Shoei's alternate pads mentioned above), and be lighter but like everything else, just because something costs more doesn't inherently mean it's better.  

I mean, my modular gmax md01 is comfortable, has all removable pads, a heated dual pane visor, a dropdown sunshade, and has done very well for me over 3 or so years and some 40000 miles. It cost $400ish Canadian. 

It's a bit heavy and loud, though modular helmets in general are, but it's still ece 25 rated.  

*Shrugs* I've had helmets from about $800 down to $150.  I'd say once you get out of the budget helmets, quality tends to level out and you start paying significant premiums for specific brand names and advanced features, and there's very quickly a drop off in terms of quality per dollar after around $500.  To the point I often feel some very expensive helmets exist solely to cater to people who have money to burn and just Want The Best without looking at anything but the price tag.

• Thumbsup 2

GT air. Shoei has always fit me well. Started with a T2? then a RF200, 700, 900, 2 ea X-11, Synchro-tech, Multi-tech and now the GT air.  Yes I'm that old......

Edited by 2linby

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 4 weeks later...

AGV K6 arrived yesterday!

Ordered a M/L from Champion Helmets in the Netherlands. 350$ and got a free smoked shield as well. Had to wait a couple months for it to be back in stock, but they had offered me an in stock color or refund. But I wanted the Nardo Grey. Only regret is not getting a M/S. I measured exactly for a M/L and this is going to be a bit looser than I prefer over time. There are NO DOT or ECE stickers on it, but that’s fine in AZ

Tell you what though, it’s about 20lbs lighter than my Shoei Hornet X2, and comparatively cuts wind like a hot knife through butter. 

The X2 has been great, but 5 years and ~70k miles later, it’s time to retire it. 

• Thumbsup 1

One factor to consider when buying a helmet is replacing it in 5 years, which is universally recommended because it’s impact absorption declines as the foam liner dries out over time.

For me this has resulted in buying less expensive helmets more often.

Putting an $800 lid on the shelf after only five years of use is not cost effective in my personal economy.

I ran a Shoei Neo for 10 years before I changed my approach.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Shoei Neotec 2.  Had a Neotec 1, and a Multitec before that.   I am a very big modular helmet fan as I try to do full tank distances for some legs on rides and being able to drink some water and such is handy on the go.   Also for doing photography I can use my camera without taking the helmet off.   And the Shoei just fits my head well.  I tried Schuberth, Nolan, and one other I cant remember and none fit my head. 

1 hour ago, nhchris said:

One factor to consider when buying a helmet is replacing it in 5 years, which is universally recommended because it’s impact absorption declines as the foam liner dries out over time.

by 5 years my helmet generally smells like multiple animals died in it over those 5 years, so its time to shelve it.    I have... sold old helmets (post cleaning) with clear disclaimers of age and such and have had people buy them for $100 - $150  and generally are using them for bashing around on UTVs and such.   

• Thumbsup 2