Buy a Skidplate!

• Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like no measuring needed :)

My eyeball measuring tape is usually pretty good anyway, but it never hurts to ask...

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, knyte said:

Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like no measuring needed :)

My eyeball measuring tape is usually pretty good anyway, but it never hurts to ask...

Basically I temporarily bolted the guard in place, and then used a sharpie to roughly mark where the drain plug was. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm not that good and despite accurate measurements was off very slightly but it was easy with the Allen hex drive low profile head to drain the oil without mess.  Same with the oil filter but I did drill a small hole adjacent the left front bracket screw so any oil from the engine (not the filter) that ran down the bracket dribbled down through the hole.  Very hard aluminum.  I stepped up each drill incrementally and deburred the hole with a slight chamfer, then polished it...

• Supporting Member

Didn't want to add a skid plate since I lowered my FJ. Now I feel I have to. Question is, which skid plate sits the highest above the ground?

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

I added a SW Motech skid plate to my lowered 2017 FJ-09. My fears of the skid plate been to low were unfounded, as the center stand made slight contact with a curb and the plate was unscathed. Happy to be part of the skid plate crew. 😁

• Thumbsup 1

I was happy to have mine when I encountered this 5 mile stretch of road construction in northern Colorado.  When the truck by I pulled over and stopped!   Not the only road construction I encountered but the biggest and with lots of rocks waiting for an unprotected oil pan.

Road Const.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Recently installed SRC Moto kit on my Tracer. Pics of a cracked sumps on other owners convinced me. Very impressed with the clear quality of the fabrication, finish, and hardware. Trade off of extra 10 minutes for oil change- worth it to me.

IMG_4560.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/23/2021 at 2:47 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I'd of turned around and found another route.  Just not worth the risk to me...

But I'm a chicken when it comes to "off roading"!

It really wasn't that difficult and turning around really wasn't an option.  It was a 350 mile ride and still had a ways to go and no other alternate route.  This was on Colorado 13 between Embarkment WY and Craig CO.  I stay mostly in KOAs and they all have dirt and gravel roads in the campground which has helped me become more comfortable with dirt and gravel.  I was actually stopped in the photo as I didn't want to screw up with something like that coming so slowed up and moved to the side and stopped.  Biggest thing is to ride a comfortable pace for you.  I've had a long line of cars behind me on fresh chip tar with lots of loose gravel.  Kept saying to myself sorry folks but I'm not going any faster than I want to go down so 20 mph is good enough.  To me this wasn't as scary as a short one way stretch later in the trip.  Lane was basically two nice wide dirt paths that were flat and well packed but separated by a big deep rough spot.  One of those pick a side and stay places.  It also sloped to the left so was a bit more difficult.  Again take it slow and keep focus and don't try to keep up with vehicle in front or worry about slowing down the folks behind.

Changed my oil today.  Pulled off the skid pan to do it and so checked it carefully  Had a deep gouge in the bottom  left.  I remember hitting something with it but cannot recall - LOL just remembered!  Going to Jones Hole near Vernal Utah and pulled off the road to get GoPro going.  pullout area was not so good and a good drop-off at the edge of the pavement.  Pretty good clang when it hit bu only the deep scratch on the bottom.  I can't claim it kept a fist sized rock from hitting the oil pan but riding off the edge of the pavement to where I fixed the GoPro could have been a not so good decision if I didn't have the skid pan.  It doesn't seem to be bent or anything even after taking pretty good jolt.  This was probably 40 miles out of Vernal so not totally isolated and there was some traffic on the road but still not somewhere I want to bust an oil pan.  Pulloff area was not that big and was somewhat level gravel/small rocks.

• Premium Member

No thanks.  I'm too old to add more risk to an already risky lifetime pastime.  I read that a motorcycle is 16 times more dangerous than a car.

After 35 you don't heal as fast and I'm going on double that.  I'm suffering with bad feet and EVERY major pair of joints up from them plus my neck and back.  Hopefully my now finally scheduled L3/4 & L4/5 disc fusion and decompression will allow me to get into better shape but bad discs at C4~6 mean even a moderate sporbike tuck is impossible.  That's why I got the FJ.  I started road racing in the early 70s and while I haven't for years had to give up even track days.  I've put off right rotator cuff surgery for 10 years because my left was botched.  Now my clutch hand has 2 bad joints so I'm considering either a NC750X (too slow and the TA is too tall), or something with a super good blipper-QS.  Can't add one to my FJ because it won't play nice with the McCruise.

Life begins at 140 mph on 2 wheels.  There are only 2 real sports, motor racing and bull fighting, everything else are just games.  I wish I knew then what I know now when I was younger...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Now my clutch hand has 2 bad joints so I'm considering either a NC750X (too slow and the TA is too tall), or something with a super good blipper-QS.  Can't add one to my FJ because it won't play nice with the McCruise.

I've seen you post this before about the McCruise and QS not been compatible. What is the source?

I have both on my 2017 and they work fine together. Is it a 2015-2016 thing?

It might be worth a try, and you could return the QS if it don't work.

43 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Life begins at 140 mph on 2 wheels.  There are only 2 real sports, motor racing and bull fighting, everything else are just games.  I wish I knew then what I know now when I was younger...

I agree wholeheartedly with only your last I'm afraid. Trials is a motor sport, and arguably at it's best when at 5mph or less. Flat track? Fast, but not THAT  fast. And I know I'm not brave enough to run that close to other riders on big iron, in a situation where traction is largely a theoretical concept.

And sport IMHO can be found when any 2 or more individuals wish to determine who is 'best'. I used to compete in hang gliding events. Dozens of flyers, often not in visual range of one another, as you hunt for thermals and tailwinds to navigate waypoints and reach a goal first. Airspeed: 20 to 60+ mph. Difficulty: as a species we were not DESIGNED as flyers, so yeah, rather demanding to learn to do it well ('tis more art than science). But at the end of the day, sipping our beverages and telling our tales, we all felt like sportsmen and women. 

Don't care about the odds. I drive a car only when riding is impossible. So where my car may log 5k in a year, my bikes cumulatively manage 10 or even 20 times that. Driving is transportation, riding is life itself to me.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1