Buy a Skidplate!

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, 3banger said:

Betoney, any photos you could share?  Thanks 3B

I don't have any photos of it installed on mine.  I also have the Ermax Belly pan installed which covers it up on the side, so would require some bike disassembly to get photos.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ok, thanks. No need to disassemble anything.  I’m installing the Puig belly pan and noticed some very light scuffing on the bottom of my oil pan.  I don’t like the looks of any of the true  skid plate protection options.  The item on Amazon is pretty low dollar to at least give it a try. I don’t ride anything truly of road but I this a little protection would help.  My biggest concern it a rock getting kicked up.

I add photos of my setup when done.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I've thought on more than one occassion about getting a protector but am not confident it (any) will fit without modification due to my aftermarket ARROW headers.

Anyone had any experience with this?

289430858_Originalexhaust_cropped.thumb.jpg.12f7a7fbffe94bcd3a2c05c03af42b44.jpg1957703340_ArrowExhaust1.thumb.jpg.f11af34e7901995c7c259a9f2677dee8.jpg

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I've thought on more than one occassion about getting a protector but am not confident it (any) will fit without modification due to my aftermarket ARROW headers.

Anyone had any experience with this?

289430858_Originalexhaust_cropped.thumb.jpg.12f7a7fbffe94bcd3a2c05c03af42b44.jpg1957703340_ArrowExhaust1.thumb.jpg.f11af34e7901995c7c259a9f2677dee8.jpg

I bet you're going to have to go custom made.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, betoney said:

I don't have any photos of it installed on mine.  I also have the Ermax Belly pan installed which covers it up on the side, so would require some bike disassembly to get photos.

I thought you had a belly pan which adds some light header protection and deflect indirect and softer hits away from striking that "sump guard box"; it not really being a skid plate.  Still, IMO, a true quality skid plate like mine offers substantially better, simpler, lighter (cheaper? as I got mine on sale for $90 shipped) if not more fashionable protection...

But again, I'm a die hard function over form kinda guy LOL 

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I thought you had a belly pan which adds some light header protection and deflect indirect and softer hits away from striking that "sump guard box"; it not really being a skid plate.  Still, IMO, a true quality skid plate like mine offers substantially better, simpler, lighter (cheaper? as I got mine on sale for $90 shipped) if not more fashionable protection...

But again, I'm a die hard function over form kinda guy LOL 

Correct, the belly pan is more of a wrap around, (side and front), cosmetic item.  It definitely has chips and dings on the front from gravel or road debris (minor header protection) but would offer no protection on the bottom from a curb or deep pot hole. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Correct, the belly pan is more of a wrap around, (side and front), cosmetic item.  It definitely has chips and dings on the front from gravel or road debris (minor header protection) but would offer no protection on the bottom from a curb or deep pot hole. 

And blocks some air flow to the headers and along with the sump guard box flow to the sump itself, something my skid plate minimizes.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

In researching Skid Plates for my Niken it seems SW-Motech is the only option. However they also offer the Front Spoiler option. Does the Spoiler lend more protection or is it just a more finished product. I guess both of these will need to be removed for oil changes?

https://sw-motech.us/products/safety/

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

In researching Skid Plates for my Niken it seems SW-Motech is the only option. However they also offer the Front Spoiler option. Does the Spoiler lend more protection or is it just a more finished product. I guess both of these will need to be removed for oil changes?

https://sw-motech.us/products/safety/

Don't know about Niken fitment but go back in this thread regarding the need to remove the SW-M SP to change the oil; drill a hole under the plug and you don't!

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Don't know about Niken fitment but go back in this thread regarding the need to remove the SW-M SP to change the oil; drill a hole under the plug and you don't!

This is what I found.....The functional differences between the front spoiler and the engine guard are minimal. They both protect roughly the same area of the motorcycle and are both made from 3mm thick aluminum. The biggest differences would be aesthetics and weight. The front spoiler weighs 4.2lbs and the engine guard weighs 2.5lbs. The engine guard would probably allow a bit more air flow due to its more open and simpler design.

After looking at both instruction manuals (mss_06_599_10000_s (sw-motech.us), mss_06_471_10000_b (sw-motech.us)) and looking at where the drain plug/oil filter is on the Niken, I’m confident that both the front spoiler and the engine guard would need to be removed to perform an oil change.