OEM side cases waterproof?

Hi folks. I will be darned but I cannot find an answer during my searches as to whether the OEM sidecases on the 2019 Tracer GT are truly waterproof. The Yamaha site does not seem to use the "waterproof" word. I will be carrying some electronics in there on a month long trip and want to make sure I am not putting them at risk.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Mark

• Supporting Member

Hi @mferring - I have the OEM factory bags on my 2015 FJ (same cases as your GT), and they've never leaked a drop in 5 years and 20k+ miles.   I've been caught out in some really heavy rains, and always leave the luggage on when I'm washing the bike.   Yamaha may not use the term "waterproof" for liability reasons (the cases might leak if you submerged them in a lake, for example), but for 99% of the real world usage they will see, I don't think you'll have any issues.  

The trip sounds like a lot of fun... enjoy!

Thanks guys, perfect!

Texscottyd, I lived in Houston for 35 years (NASA guy) and then retired in the NM mountains near Cloudcroft. We are actually coming to see our kids and grandkids in Houston. Wife is staying for month and a half, and I am going north from there after trailering the bike to Houston. Not looking forward to the heat and humidity, but that is life!

Heading to Barber motorsports track and museum, Tail of the Dragon, Mid Ohio Indy Car race, ferry across Lake Michigan, family in Iowa and Minnesota, Deadwood, Denver and then back home. Bringing camera and Drone to document the event. Once in a lifetime for me!

Appreciate the help!

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

One quick question. I heard the FJ side case covers will fit on the Tracer and add quite a bit of volume (replace the Tracer covers). Do you recommend that or is it too much width and weight for this sport bike? I am also carrying a 57l Givi Maxia top case and 58l Wolfman waterproof duffel in the Passenger seat. Going to be pretty heavy for the daily travels. Will unload at destinations for lighter fun day trips.

Also, any suggestions as to where to pick up FJ side case covers?

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, mferring said:

One quick question. I heard the FJ side case covers will fit on the Tracer and add quite a bit of volume (replace the Tracer covers). Do you recommend that or is it too much width and weight for this sport bike? I am also carrying a 57l Givi Maxia top case and 58l Wolfman waterproof duffel in the Passenger seat. Going to be pretty heavy for the daily travels. Will unload at destinations for lighter fun day trips.

Also, any suggestions as to where to pick up FJ side case covers?

It's actually the lids from the FJR1300 that give you the extra capacity in side cases, as they are significantly wider that the FJ 09 / Tracer GT lids.   The body of all the cases is exactly the same, so while the FJR lids add extra depth, they don't change the profile shape.  

That said, a 57 liter top case is MASSIVE, so I don't know that you'll really need the incremental extra capacity that the FJR bag lids would offer.   To me, the big selling point of the FJR lids would be having the space to store your helmet in the saddlebags...  you can with the FJR lids, but you can't with the original Tracer lids.   If that isn't overly important, I would just leave the bags alone and pack that top case and duffel wisely.

-Scott

• Thumbsup 2

I've pressured washed my factory bags with a garden hose and never noticed any water inside afterwards; but if really concerned, fall back on the old fashion/time tested remedy of plastic trash bags for piece of mind.  

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 12:17 PM, mferring said:

I heard the FJ side case covers will fit on the Tracer and add quite a bit of volume (replace the Tracer covers). Do you recommend that or is it too much width and weight for this sport bike?

it'll make your butt fat! Most importantly, your butt may not smoothly follow after your handle bars squeeze through!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

it'll make your butt fat! Most importantly, your butt may not smoothly follow after your handle bars squeeze through!

723133407_WhatsAppImage2020-12-05at19_41_43.thumb.jpeg.a277567c86f093642923eda1ea754e45.jpeg

The fjr panniers are not much wider than the city panniers.

surprisingly they are still a very easy to squeeze through as long as the handlebars clear.

• Thumbsup 1

Rode thru about 40 minutes of good rain, part of it on freshly chip tarred road, yesterday.  Sidecases and Yamaha top case were perfectly dry.  Both sidecases filled to capacity but topcase was mostly empty. On a long trip and don’t like weight as far back as the topcase is.  I carry a large duffle on the rear seat.  It was also dry.  Me?  LOL I didn’t put rain jacket on until after rain started so got wet!  Tank bag also had some dampness as didn’t put cover on before the rain.  Good thing I was wearing mesh jacket and tshirt since temp went to 42F!  Today ran thru shorter showers but was prepared and had rain jacket on before rain!

I pressure wash my bike (car wand wash) with the saddle bags on and they've never leaked.  They've survived two winters with rain, slush, and snow, and not leaked.

However, be aware if you overload them, it's possible to have them held open at the front and back edges and not seal well.  Too much clothing stuffed in can do that.

• Thumbsup 1

Update, in Missouri rode thru an intense thunderstorm with torrential rain.  Sidecases were dry as was topcase.  Very happy with the OEM and Yamaha 39L top case.  I always put water sensitive stuff like camera and computer in plastic ziplock bags just in case.

EDIT:  I’m always carefull to not overfill cases and make sure they latch easily and securely.  If I have compressible stuff in a sidecase will put pressure on the lid and make sure it latches easily.  Once latched it is good - within reason, always possible to warp or twist a lid out of shape so the gasket does not seal well.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

2015 FJ w.FJR1300 touring bags here - high pressure wash, torrential rain both in warm and cold weather, high altitudes...never had a problem.

I don't think submerging them in water would be a good idea...but otherwise, they seem to seal up great.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 3 weeks later...