New chain, sprockets and knowledge gained.

I did the same but with a 17 front and 43 rear to gain better MPG's, lower Highway RPM's. Easier on the bike and me while cruising at or near 70'ish all day long. I believe the chain is the same length to go back to the 16/45 stock set up if I decide the bike is too "frumpy". 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
On 6/18/2021 at 4:23 PM, Wintersdark said:

but hopefully the existing nut will be fine

It will be until a new one arrives.  I recycled my old nut and have been riding with it for months (too lazy to install the new one, but will soon).

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

So I bought a Vortex rear sprocket.  Today went to install it, first step removing nuts, first five loosened without too much trouble but the last one the socket slipped on!!!  Have tried a couple of ways of loosening the nut but nope!  All I've done is butchered the nut!!!  I'm at 11,000 miles and about a year old.  Have ordered a new set of nuts and a couple of studs but leaving in 9 days on a long trip.  Rear sprocket is not in bad shape so thinking plan A is to just tighten the 5 nuts (carefully) and worry about it when I get back.  Certainly dont see the one nut coming loose.

Certainly very frustrating - I need to buy a good set of 6 point sockets for the tough nuts.

25 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

So I bought a Vortex rear sprocket.  Today went to install it, first step removing nuts, first five loosened without too much trouble but the last one the socket slipped on!!!  Have tried a couple of ways of loosening the nut but nope!  All I've done is butchered the nut!!!  I'm at 11,000 miles and about a year old.  Have ordered a new set of nuts and a couple of studs but leaving in 9 days on a long trip.  Rear sprocket is not in bad shape so thinking plan A is to just tighten the 5 nuts (carefully) and worry about it when I get back.  Certainly dont see the one nut coming loose.

Certainly very frustrating - I need to buy a good set of 6 point sockets for the tough nuts.

I would cut that nut off with a Dremel tool.  I don't it would take too long and you already ordered replacement studs/nuts.,

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

For future reference, IIRC they are held on with threadlock, so a bit of heat really helps when removing the nuts.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Yea, cannot believe i rounded the nut!  I'm usually very careful but rushed it a bit and broke the other 5 loose wo issues!  Today I'm headed to Northern Tool to get a set of 6 point sockets as they do not round as readily.

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, BBB said:

For future reference, IIRC they are held on with threadlock, so a bit of heat really helps when removing the nuts.

Yep. Applied heat and nuts slackened no problem. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

Bought a set of Grip-TITE socket from Northern Tools and was able to get nut off wo drama!  Also bought a set of Craftsman 6 point sockets from Lowes.  Now to sit and wait for new nuts to arrive.

Very impressed with the Grip-TITE sockets, always thought they were not so great but save me this time.  Word to the wise, if you slip once and round the nut a bit dont keep trying.  Had I stopped and used the Grip_TITE socket the nut would be serviceable - IMO this nut is OK to install and torque to 43 foot pounds but will need to be replaced when new nuts arrive so probably will just wait.

Longer writeup in this thread 

IMG_0096.thumb.jpg.3140a3fa3416d343f988007c8bf35d21.jpg

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Kenny A. said:

Same with brake disc bolts. DON'T try to undo without heat.

So I'll be doing sprocket change and dont have heat gun.   What are people using, is propane needed or electric will do the job?  Thanks,

• Premium Member

There is another type of socket and combo wrench design now fairly common but TMK first actively marketed by Metwrinch that cams on only the flats of the fastener whether it be a nut or hex head bolt, as well as fits both both SAE and metric metric sizes, hence the name.

34 minutes ago, mikerbiker said:

So I'll be doing sprocket change and dont have heat gun.   What are people using, is propane needed or electric will do the job?  Thanks,

If you have a paint stripping or heat string gun that may help.  My bike is a 2020 Tracer GT and the fasteners are still like new.  I didn't have any trouble without using heat.  My problem was using 12 point socket and getting in a little bit of a hurry.  IMO key is take your time, use good tools and 6 point socket and hold ratchet carefully so that it does not twist and round off nut.  For the one use so far I was very impressed with the Grip-TITE socket.  Was looking at the nuts that came off that without problems and on a couple could see where it was a lot of pressure on the edge of the flat.  At the torque they want to fasten need to have everything correct.  I'm looking into it but probably going to go with a lower torque for my nuts.  They will be new and will probably go to either 43 or 50 foot pounds.

• Thumbsup 1

Another little tip for removing brake rotors bolts and sprocket nuts......

Put whatever is needed to remove the bolt or nut on a extension, put it in place on the bolt or nut, then use a hammer to strike on the extension.

The vibrations will help loosen the grip of the bolt or nut.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 8/16/2021 at 6:15 PM, mikerbiker said:

Bernzomatic basic torch kit. $15.00 at WalMart.

• Thumbsup 1