Really exciting run through along Hwy 66 between Bragg Creek and Forgetmenot Pond

Wintersdark

Had a really great ride last night, along with a few buddies on a GSX750, a ZZR1400, and a Monster 1198.  Hwy 66 west of Bragg Creek to Forgetmenot pond; it's a winding stretch of highway over multiple elevations, leading to a lot of really interesting technical corners, banked well, just wide enough to do at really high speed, and best of all, the highway just ends at the pond, so there's very minimal traffic. In the case of yesterday evening, almost none as there were storms throughout the day and ongoing storm warnings, so pretty much nobody was out in the wild.  One trip through at respectable speeds to ensure everything was clear and dry, then a second at 180-220.  

First time I've been able to really push the T32's to their limits, and they held up.  Not quite what Road 5's do, but they did "communicate" well at the extremes.  I'd have loved a set of pure sport tires for that run, as to date Road 5's are the best tires I've run.  I'd like to see the difference... But I definitely need my own tire changer before getting into that sort of thing.  I'd be running 3 sets a year, in addition to my winters.  Given the cost difference and how well they worked, though, I'll probably get another set next year vs. going back to the Road 5's.  They're definitely good enough for me, and it's a pretty substantial price difference.

Gotta say, though, it was really hard on the core tummy muscles.  Felt like I did an hour of sit-ups afterwards, got home and whined about it to the wife for a good hour :)

hwy66.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

Bragg Creek / Black Diamond / Cypress Hills are all on my bucket list!

Interesting to hear you thoughts on Road 5's.  I've been running a mismatched Road 5 rear and a Conti TK70 front until last Friday, and you're right - the 'road feel' was noticeably different, even with just the front swap.

That sounds like a really fun stretch of slab!

Edited by knyte
'slab' not 'slap' (damn you, Davie504...)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

12 minutes ago, knyte said:

Bragg Creek / Black Diamond / Cypress Hills are all on my bucket list!

Interesting to hear you thoughts on Road 5's.  I've been running a mismatched Road 5 rear and a Conti TK70 front until last Friday, and you're right - the 'road feel' was noticeably different, even with just the front swap.

That sounds like a really fun stretch of slab!

There's a road south from Bragg Creek that's super fun, too.  While 22 from Calgary to Bragg Creek is a good ride in and of itself, this is much more fun - 

The roads look straight on the map but they're really not at all.  762 south from Bragg Creek is windy and wonderful, and this takes you through Turner Valley too.  A common ride for me is just taking 22 out to Bragg Creek, stopping there for a break/meet up with friends (it's quite the local motorcycle destination, and there's usually a couple dozen bikes around the parking lot by the coffee shops, restaurant and pub), then looping back with friends via 762.