New to me 2017 FJ-09

tedski

Hello all!  At the beginning of the pandemic, I sold my '93 VFR (flying fridge) with the intent of upgrading to the FJ-09 for ergos more suitable to my old legs without sacrificing the riding experience.  Buying during the pandemic didn't make sense, but with California seeing the exit of the pandemic nearing, I started shopping again.  I wound up scoring a pristine 2017 in white for a great price!  12k miles on the clock, a few farkles and all the parts to revert to stock if desired.  Can't beat that!

Glad to be here and I look forward to contributing to the community.

Lw5WU4r.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

15 minutes ago, Kevin R said:

Sweet! Welcome to the group. Have to get out and meet at Alice's sometime.

This weekend I'll be hitting the East Bay roads... it's been too long since I did Redwood, Pinehurst, Palomares, Morgan Territory, Mines, etc.  But, I guess I'm also overdue for breakfast at Skywood Trading Post and some peninsula roads.  Hopefully I'll see ya up there one day.

• Supporting Member

Welcome @tedski, and congratulations on the new-to-you bike!   I had a 1992 VFR (black instead of white), and the FJ is a nice spiritual successor to the Honda.   The VFR may have been a bit more refined, but the FJ has a certain character to it that just makes you want to go ride.  

Enjoy! 

5 hours ago, Garybinnyc said:

Congrats.. looks real nice .. I see you have side mounts and rear top case mount time did the bike come with the cases as well? If not I’m sure that’s on your list of purchases!! 

It did come with bags.  The 52 liter Trekker top case and two V37 sidecases.  I have a bittersweet relationship with hard luggage, though.  I do love a topcase for around town/errand running, but I've grown to like soft luggage more for touring.  I'm a huge fan of the Kriega soft luggage and have drooled over the Mosko system a few times, too.  My plan is to keep the Givis for when my wife wants to go 2-up.  I'll get the inner bags and give her two cases to pack into.  I think that'll be a lot easier to manage logistically than giving her a roll-top kriega bag and hoping for the best.

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Welcome @tedski, and congratulations on the new-to-you bike!   I had a 1992 VFR (black instead of white), and the FJ is a nice spiritual successor to the Honda.   The VFR may have been a bit more refined, but the FJ has a certain character to it that just makes you want to go ride.  

Enjoy! 

You hit the nail right on the head.  I still miss that signature VFR cam noise and the signature VFR "middle 4 of a v8" stuttery idle, but boy does the FJ's ergos make it easy to get over.  The power delivery on the VFR was awesome, especially because the throttle springs had more tension and it felt like you were trying harder or something.  But, the FJ is just damn fun.  On my 400 mile twisty ride home from buying the bike, I was all smiles.  I'm going to steal "the FJ is a nice spiritual successor to the Honda" for sure!

This also means I no longer have to sport tour on my 390 Duke... with 110 mi fuel range and pretty cramped ergos.  It'll be nice to be able to do more than 450 mile days again.

• Like 1

Funny thing about the color.  I don't really care what color a motorcycle is, never have.  I just ride the things.  But, this is the 4th white bike in a row I've bought... completely coincidental ('93 VFR, '09 DR650, '16 Duke 390).  I plan most of my friend group's sport touring trips and the moniker has become "follow the white bike."  All that said... I'm falling in love with the white of the FJ.  Maybe not as much as the flying fridge VFR, but give it time.

Welcome on board and congratulations. You’re so right about the colour. Back in October I almost got white 2017. Got better deal on blue one with OEM panniers. Why not? Got it and like it. Still smiling after 20 000 km so far.

18 hours ago, tedski said:

Funny thing about the color.  I don't really care what color a motorcycle is, never have.  I just ride the things.  But, this is the 4th white bike in a row I've bought... completely coincidental ('93 VFR, '09 DR650, '16 Duke 390).  I plan most of my friend group's sport touring trips and the moniker has become "follow the white bike."  All that said... I'm falling in love with the white of the FJ.  Maybe not as much as the flying fridge VFR, but give it time.

Haha. I hear ya, re: color. My wife's first car was blue and she has tried to get d a blue car ever since but to no avail. Just couldn't find one when the time came a new one for her. Me, OTOH, don't really care except anything but black. Guess what color almost all of my cars have been? Blue. She hates me for that!  😆