2021 Tracer- Daytime Visibility

• Premium Member
On 6/25/2021 at 11:49 AM, Clem Fandango said:

No way I'm adding all that weight to my helmet.

I've had one since March then added a Sena communicator to a Klim TK1200. Even with both of those, the Klim still weighs less than some helmets. 

I agree with @2and3cylinders - you really don't notice it. The balance point of the helmet is slightly different, but that's it. 

I respectfully disagree.

I went from an 1800g HJC to a 1500g Scorpion carbon lid. I not only can discern the weight, but where a 4 hour ride would leave my neck sore (trashed C1-C2 for me) for days previously, the cf lid leaves me almost unscathed after a similar outing.

I will cheerfully add unreasonable amounts of visibility-enhancing lighting to my chassis. And to my topcase, which should be just as visible as a helmet mount light unit. But I'm actually considering upgrading my perfectly serviceable but somewhat clunky bluetooth rig (SENA SMH-10) to something newer/lighter just to lose a wee bit more weight from my helmet. YMMV.

• Thumbsup 2

Spoke with a long time rider about this who said "just swerve back and forth a bit in your lane.  People see moving objects better, and it'll make them pay attention!"  Since I started doing it, I feel a lot safer.  I also feel well prepared to take whatever evasive action might prove necessary, since I'm already moving, flexible and ready.  Covering that front brake too, of course.  

• Premium Member

I rode with a spanking brand new 21GT all day today and he was behind me obviously because he was still wearing it in and front end visibility is a bismal in my opinion it really needs some lights up front to make it more conspicuous same goes for the rear

On 6/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, tclhb said:

I have the new 21 GT. I leave the high beams on in the daytime along with the low beam which is on all the time by default. The lights up above I think Yamaha calls the daytime running lights, and I believe those are on all the time as well. 
I’m still learning since the bike is pretty new, and I’m not riding it a lot since I am waiting for someone to come out with a non torture seat option. That forward slope and one defined spot the seat forces me into against the gas tank is a real design fail. 

As long as you realize you're probably blinding the oncoming traffic by doing that.  Yes, even in the daytime.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, pablo miller said:

Spoke with a long time rider about this who said "just swerve back and forth a bit in your lane.  People see moving objects better, and it'll make them pay attention!"  Since I started doing it, I feel a lot safer.  I also feel well prepared to take whatever evasive action might prove necessary, since I'm already moving, flexible and ready.  Covering that front brake too, of course.  

You're joking, right?!

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You're joking, right?!

It actually has a name... Smidsy.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, duhs10 said:

It actually has a name... Smidsy.

In Duncan's typical British long-winded mind there is anyway.  Ridiculous!

I'm exhausted just thinking about doing that on a long commute.  And in wet weather it'd be dangerous!

And around here the coppers would ticket you for doing it.

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

In Duncan's typical British long-winded mind there is anyway.  Ridiculous!

I'm exhausted just thinking about doing that on a long commute.  And in wet weather it'd be dangerous!

And around here the coppers would ticket you for doing it.

Well it works and I've been doing it for years, only time I do the SMIDSY is when I see a vehicle who is starting to edge out or looks to be thinking about it......they freeze in their tracks. You can install the RIDICULOUS headlight modulators "wish they were illegal by the way" and all the flashing rear brake light modulation all you like, but in the end situational awareness will always be the best tactic. Motorcycles have a very small footprint out on the road, background camouflage makes it very hard for cagers to discern our distance and how fast we are approaching, so that's where this maneuver really works.  I ride with a buddy who has rear brake light modulators, they drive me insane when I am behind him. I'll say it's likely you are better off with a bit of high viz gear or helmet, than any blinky flashy lights on your bike. But hey you have options and must do whatever you feel gets you home safely or to your next destination. :)

I do it also. Not constantly weaving, but a sharp movement away from the turning car. 

The video didn't cover the human interface. We see lateral movement way better than any other. You can't tell how fast a train is going standing in front of it can you? Try it.

Half a million miles on 2 wheels for me with no hitting a car. Gravel while cornering is a different story.

• Thumbsup 1

OK- putting on my official, logo'd "Old Fart" hat here:

I like high-viz gear, except for the fact that after a year or two it just turns into 'faded yellow'. BUT- there are still a daunting number of _drivers_ (who oughtn't be if licensing laws were at all  enforced) who still seem unable to see me even under ideal conditions. ie: clear day, dry, straight road. 

By my direct observation over decades, using a LEGAL headlight modulator in appropriate conditions, means more drivers will notice me and grant me equal access to the tarmac. Yes, they can annoy, and I am sorry about that. But I'd rather make it home intact than risk offending your sensibilities for the 30 seconds or so it takes to put you in MY mirrors.

I like DRL's, brake strobes, driving and/or fog lamps, etc., and I will use any or all of these visibility-enhancers with gay abandon unless and until cagers everywhere learn to live up to the responsibility of piloting a vehicle that can end lives if proper care and caution is not employed tirelessly. And frankly, there appear to be damn few out there who DO!

[soap-box mode: OFF]

Do what you feel is best for you, and I shall do the same. But IMHO, everyone else's rights stop precisely where mine start. And vice versa.

• Thumbsup 2

I also think the trend of smaller headlights/tail lights in the name of looking good is bad.  Those big pumpkins everyone hates/gets rid of, show up even in bright sunlight. It's not the brightness it's the size. Tells people it's a bike.

I'll also flip to high beam...Don't flash, when I see someone about to pull out. When passed, back to low beam. 

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I do it also. Not constantly weaving, but a sharp movement away from the turning car. 

The video didn't cover the human interface. We see lateral movement way better than any other. You can't tell how fast a train is going standing in front of it can you? Try it.

Half a million miles on 2 wheels for me with no hitting a car. Gravel while cornering is a different story.

It's a very slight weave, little goes a long way to break up the background, it most certainly isn't extreme nor is it illegal in most free states. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Ride365 said:

It's a very slight weave, little goes a long way to break up the background, it most certainly isn't extreme nor is it illegal in most free states. 

I'm not saying swerving is bad and I've done it.  Heading straight at em with the HLM does seem to finally get their attention.

I just use EVERYTHING at my disposal to not leave my wife a prematurely rich widow, much to her chagrin.  She's getting impatient, we had our 40th wedding anniversary yesterday...

• Thumbsup 1

I'll add my 2¢ worth here.  ;)  

I'm a big advocate of the three light triangle.  I ride with a friend who doesn't have them, and when I look in my mirror at the front of his bike, he really doesn't stand out.  If your running lights are close to the headlight, the effect is to just have one light till you're so close it doesn't matter.

I just returned home from South Dakota.  PhotoAl's path and mine crossed...just not at the same time and place.  Lots of BMW riders returning from their MOA rally.  Many of them had two aux lights mounted on the forks.  I could see them from a half mile or more away.

FWIW, I hate modulating headlights.  They fall in the same category as loud pipes.  I feel like the way my suspension makes the front end move up and down, that I'm getting a similar effect without the modulation.

And the SMIDSY maneuver is worth keeping in mind.  I normally will stay in the left tire track on two lane roads, but when I see a semi or RV approaching, I know there's a good chance they have cars waiting to pass.  The best thing in my mind to do, is to move to the right tire track so the cars can see me without having to pull out completely, and even to move a bit back and forth in the lane.  

If you ride at night or in the rain, I suggest adding some thin reflective tape to your bike.  It's one of the first things I do.  In the day light, it looks like pin-striping.  In low light conditions, it really stands out to make your bike visible to other drivers.

Lastly, I'll put in a plug for hi-vis riding gear.  I won't buy gear that isn't hi-vis.  I asked a BMW rider who parked next to me why he put on a hi-vis vest one day.  He hadn't been wearing one before, and his gear was all black.  He said he watched a black Labrador Retriever get hit on the freeway the other night, over and over and over.  No one could see the dog till it was too late.  He thought how that could've been him, all dressed in black.

Something in the above must work, because I never have people pull out in front of me...and I ride all year long, except if it is snowing.

• Thumbsup 1