I need a new windscreen on my 2021 Tracer 9 GT

10 hours ago, ZOMGdonuts said:

Quick question for Tracer owners. This bike is definitely the top contender for my next steed, but I come from the world of naked bikes and am very sensitive to annoying wind noise courtesy of bad wind screens. 

I was wondering, how high do you think turbulent wind will come off the bike if there is no screen at all? Or a tiny screen as high as the gauges? I ask because as long as I have the option of going full naked on this bike (leaving my helmet in 100% clean air), I won't have an issue taking a risk on wind noise. 

I'm 5'7", relatively short torso/long arms if it helps. I have a feeling that on this bike, no wind screen would leave my head in turbulent air...

I'm going to try my best to get a test ride, but that alone is hard going here in Ontario...And I doubt they'd let me test it with no screen on. 

Thanks!

Replace the stock screen with a sport version from Puig, Ermax or (my preference) MRA.

You will still get air, but it will be "clean" - eg. no buffeting or turbulence. 

I'm 5'8" and this has been my experience with my MRA Sport screen.

Rob

• Thumbsup 3

20 hours ago, ZOMGdonuts said:

Quick question for Tracer owners. This bike is definitely the top contender for my next steed, but I come from the world of naked bikes and am very sensitive to annoying wind noise courtesy of bad wind screens. 

I was wondering, how high do you think turbulent wind will come off the bike if there is no screen at all? Or a tiny screen as high as the gauges? I ask because as long as I have the option of going full naked on this bike (leaving my helmet in 100% clean air), I won't have an issue taking a risk on wind noise. 

I'm 5'7", relatively short torso/long arms if it helps. I have a feeling that on this bike, no wind screen would leave my head in turbulent air...

I'm going to try my best to get a test ride, but that alone is hard going here in Ontario...And I doubt they'd let me test it with no screen on. 

Thanks!

Just take it off, replace it with a small sport windscreen.  The only option to be fully out of the wind is to use a HUGE barn door windscreen like the madstag or similar.  I've got a puig sport screen, and there's no dirty air above it at all.  Much more comfortable to ride in; just lean into it like you would on a naked bike.  

• Thumbsup 1

I may be a majority of one but I really like the stock T9GT screen.  I'm 5'9" and have ridden bikes with many screens.  The best add-on screen I ever had was the old Windjammer with fairings on my Suzuki GS750.  My last bike before the T9GT was a 2012 FZ-01 and it had the most horrible screen I was ever behind.  I switched it out for a GIVI touring screen which was huge and made so much noise that I couldn't hear the bike or music at highway speeds.  Then I tried a double bubble sport screen which was ok for sound but allowed considerable buffeting.  Finally went to a ZeroGravity touring screen which worked well. 

Of all that I like the new T9GT screen over anything I had in the past.  I may add that I have a Nolan 100-5 helmet which has a drawstring in the neck roll and when adjusted cuts out 90% of the wind noise and the airflow over the T9GT screen works well with the helmet's aerodynamics.

On 12/18/2021 at 4:01 PM, Korak said:

Windshields for Tracer 9GT-

1. Cal-Sci- As I explained in a previous post, I had high hopes for this one- my first- due to the hole in the screen to allow airflow and possible less buffeting.  It was not to be and in traffic considerably worse. Returned

2. Yamaha touring screen- better than stock but again at speed the turbulence and buffeting remained. Returned

3. National Cycle V stream- not specifically for the 9GT- made for the 900, but fits perfect, however no matter the height, the buffeting and turbulence was unrelenting. Returned

4. Madstad- my current test. They just came out with this one for the 9GT.  Expensive and the reason is they supply a whole new bracket system and height adjustment knobs.  Very well made.  You have to remove the current windshield bracket, 3 screws, be careful, I stripped the last one because the metal is so soft and had to cut it.  No biggie as you do not need them to put on the Madstad bracket.  The instructions are clear, however there is no parts diagram, so figuring out the differing sets of screws was a challenge.  Blair at Mastad was a great help and made sure I was confident with installation.  Multiple adjustments, height wise and angle.  I started with straight up in the lowest position.  Still some buffeting body wise but my head was clear.  Im going to try different heights and angles to try and get my favorite position.  Word of caution- you must stop the bike to make any adjustments, you cannot adjust on the fly.

Hello ! I was wondering, have you found the ideal setting for the Madstad yet ??. I want to buy one of these screens and I am 5"11. Do you think it will work for me ?? Thanks for any help. Leon 

Get the shortest version.  You will have to play around with it.  Sometimes for more protection I have to look through the screen.  I like the Madstad because you can raise and lower but also angle the screen. 

On 1/17/2022 at 9:58 AM, mattemike said:

I'm wintering about 45 minutes from Madstad so in February I'm going there to buy a screen & have it shipped to my home outside Buffalo, NY.  That'll be the first mod to my '21 Tracer but doubt if it'll be the last.

Where are you located in Western NY?

On 6/30/2021 at 7:37 AM, Suu Kyi said:

I had the same problem with the stock windscreen on my 2019 Tracer 900 GT. Replaced it with a genuine Yamaha OEM touring windscreen (picture attached). Big difference, still some slight buffeting but no where near the original. I'm 170 cms (5ft. 7 1/2) tall. Works well for me but height may have a bearing on what works for you. I have it at the highest setting.

Tracer 900 GT Touring Screen - Reduced.jpg

How much taller is the touring versus the original? Thanks 

i don't like the idea of having the black hinges for windscreen extensions so close to view, i think it would irritate me.

had the big givi and it was much better than stock, and well made, but still had buffeting.

got the madstad, it looks cheap compared to the givi, you can still the crayon marks where somebody took a saw to a flat piece of plexi, but have decided  that looks shouldn't be worried about any more.

it has all but eliminated buffeting ( i am 6' ) , a little but very livable, and what has turned out to be a real benefit is it easy to mount my garmin zumo xt above the speedo where it is easier to see,

• Thumbsup 2

On 1/2/2022 at 10:07 PM, ZOMGdonuts said:

I am 5'-8". You might want to have a look at this video.

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

16 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Yes I am. Came to Houston for work back in 2001.

I see from your signature that you also have a 1200RS. I almost bought one but the characteristics of the boxer engine weren't what I was looking for. Ended up with my first Tracer (2019 GT) and am now on my second (2021 T9 GT).

How do you like the RS and when do you ride it over the Tracer?

Cheers

Rob

Ontario