I need a new windscreen on my 2021 Tracer 9 GT

19 minutes ago, Bimbim18 said:

Now I'm even more anxious to get one lol.

That following weekend I was actually going to pull the ECU to get it flashed to smooth out the throttle and have been trying back and forth about the exhaust. I mean the stock exhaust was ok, but I've heard it with an Akropovich and graves, sounds amazing, but it was hard to justify the price tag.

I'll be really happy if my helmet fits in the saddlebags (I have a cardo hanging off the side), it does get tiring carrying it around.

I'm pretty sure it will fit with the Cardo as the helmet needs to go in sideways (top facing outwards) to fit. To be honest I haven't ever tried it!

17 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

Now I'm even more anxious to get one lol.

That following weekend I was actually going to pull the ECU to get it flashed to smooth out the throttle and have been trying back and forth about the exhaust. I mean the stock exhaust was ok, but I've heard it with an Akropovich and graves, sounds amazing, but it was hard to justify the price tag.

I'll be really happy if my helmet fits in the saddlebags (I have a cardo hanging off the side), it does get tiring carrying it around.

I have a Nolan 100-5 in medium with a SENA 50S stuck on the side and it fits in my side case except it has to be put in upside down with the top of the helmet on the bottom of the case and the chin bar facing the pointy end of the case..

• 3 weeks later...

I just took my Tracer 9 Gt out for its first ride this season with my new MADSTAD windscreen and I think I'm gonna love it. No more shaking, shuddering or wind blast around the screen. Plenty of adjustment for all conditions. 

My front Pyramid fender extender kept most of the crud off of the front of the engine. Nice piece of kit. 

Be safe out there. 

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, bikelee said:

I just took my Tracer 9 Gt out for its first ride this season with my new MADSTAD windscreen and I think I'm gonna love it. No more shaking, shuddering or wind blast around the screen. Plenty of adjustment for all conditions. 

My front Pyramid fender extender kept most of the crud off of the front of the engine. Nice piece of kit. 

Be safe out there. 

Did you end up using their measuring information on their site or which size did you choose? I just got my Tracer this morning and quickly noticed the headshake at highway speeds-- ordering the MADSTAD as soon as possible.

I used their measuring info and picked the 22 inch screen as I'm 5'11" and the screen works great !

I think ordering the screen is a great idea. I hope it works for you as well as it works for me. Be safe !

• Thumbsup 3

• 5 months later...

I'm leaning towards getting the Madstad after reading all the great info so thank you for the effort & time plus whatever amount of $$ spent to find the right windshield!

I do have a few questions... so to adjust the windshield, you need 2 hands, ie stop then adjust accordingly versus one hand on the fly? 

And the GPS bracket they're referring to, is that the mounting system from Garmin (or TomTom)? I didn't see the bracket was listed on their site so wondering what I need or if I have it already. Also any issues once the GPS is mounted? Line of sight ok, GPS stays in position while riding and no or little vibrations?

Thanks!

On 9/18/2021 at 12:27 PM, jthayer09 said:

Sorry for disappearing. Started a new position and have been traveling for work so haven't had a chance to get much time with the Yamaha touring windscreen until recently.

In my opinion it's a straight up winter/cold season windscreen only. The widest part of the windscreen by a large margin is the middle as it spans outward, and the bottom is roughly 2-3x wider than stock. It lines up with the handguards well and zero air hits me. I was wearing a mesh jacket and was roasting in 80F even at highway speeds. Definitely will be on my bike from November to March, otherwise stock + $20 eBay spoiler is still king.

Can I ask how tall you are? You've sold me on "zero air hits me" 😁

For those suffering the windscreen blues I highly recommend this type of deflector that is fitted to the top of the OE windscreen.   Many versions can be found on E Bay at a very low cost of around $30.   Look for 'universal clip-on windscreen deflector' or similar, in either clear or light smoke tint.    The adjustability of rake forward and backward from vertical is substantial, ranging from about 10 degrees forward rake (my preference) to near-horizontal rearward rake, which allows for a very large degree of fine-tuning to suit any bike and rider preferences. 

Motorcycle Clip-on Windshield Spoiler Wind Screen Extension Deflector 2 Size

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, motoontheweekend said:

To each their own, not criticizing at all but I cant even imagine "zero air" unless it was icy cold or pouring rain.  That's one of the joys of riding; being "in the wind", as long as its not turbulent.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, motoontheweekend said:

5'10 or 178cm.

2 hours ago, betoney said:

To each their own, not criticizing at all but I cant even imagine "zero air" unless it was icy cold or pouring rain.  That's one of the joys of riding; being "in the wind", as long as its not turbulent.

Yeah, it's for sure a 1-season cold weather windscreen. I only had it on this past winter from November to first week of April, and honestly it only stayed on that long because I was away from home in March. I 100% agree it's much more enjoyable having clean air hit you while riding.

@motoontheweekend Your profile says you're in CA, so I assume you don't have harsh winters? You you may find it more enjoyable (and economical) to give a cheap windscreen spoiler a try. I snagged one from eBay a while back and put it on the stock windscreen and it's what I ride with spring, summer, fall. The spoiler calms the air nicely reducing the buffeting greatly, but I still get airflow.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

5'10 or 178cm.

Yeah, it's for sure a 1-season cold weather windscreen. I only had it on this past winter from November to first week of April, and honestly it only stayed on that long because I was away from home in March. I 100% agree it's much more enjoyable having clean air hit you while riding.

@motoontheweekend Your profile says you're in CA, so I assume you don't have harsh winters? You you may find it more enjoyable (and economical) to give a cheap windscreen spoiler a try. I snagged one from eBay a while back and put it on the stock windscreen and it's what I ride with spring, summer, fall. The spoiler calms the air nicely reducing the buffeting greatly, but I still get airflow.

+1 to this, I did the same on min (186cm) 
Really helps reduce any annyoing buffeting and keeps air over my helmet pretty slow (nice and quiet) but i still get some air.
No as much as i'd like when its proper hot... But thats what my sportscreen is for 😛 

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, betoney said:

Totally agree but I ride a lot of freeway and am looking to cut out as much fatigue and wind noise as possible. My tinnitus has been getting pretty bad so hoping to get a windscreen with a good balance of wind protection and aesthetics.

11 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

5'10 or 178cm.

Yea, it doesn't get too frosty where I am but the wind noise is killing me these days so I'm trying to find a solution to cut down on the wind blast. I haven't tried the clip on windscreens yet but I do a lot of video recording from my GoPro and I want the view to be as clean looking as possible. Ideally I'd get the MadStad but then the shape looks a bit funky 😀.

• Supporting Member
On 8/25/2022 at 9:55 AM, motoontheweekend said:

Totally agree but I ride a lot of freeway and am looking to cut out as much fatigue and wind noise as possible. My tinnitus has been getting pretty bad so hoping to get a windscreen with a good balance of wind protection and aesthetics.

I have tried a lot of different screens on my bikes and discovered the ultimate for no noise and smooth air is a naked bike.  My brother owns a Honda 919 and we ride week-long road trips every year.  I ride his all of the time and its amazing how much quieter his is and he always mentions how noisy mine is even with the smallest fly screen. 

As you gradually get taller and taller screens the noise level goes up as well until you have an unsightly barn door that you have to look through to see the road.  On my VFR I have a one hand adjustable screen so I can adjust as I ride and it is very evident how the wind roar changes with screen height.

I just returned an hour ago from a 1000 mile over-nighter, each of the 2 days had interstate riding mixed in with the fun roads, I just used my small fly screen and my usual Macks ear plugs.  No fatigue or turbulence on the interstate.  Temperatures in Central Oregon were in the high 90's so I was grateful for the smallest screen available.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 hours ago, betoney said:

I have tried a lot of different screens on my bikes and discovered the ultimate for no noise and smooth air is a naked bike.  ...

I agree with you almost completely ... I would not say "no noise". Smooth air and zero buffeting definitely, but if there is wind movement there is noise. 🙂

That said the wind noise is smooth and quite reduced. The down-side of the naked bike (aside from weather protection) is for long distance riding the wind pressure is tiring for most. Aside from that nakeds are the way to go! My Tracer is a naked in summer. 😄

• Thumbsup 3

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS