CORBIN- the travelogue (Long. I mean r-e-a-l-l-y long people!)

Ah, yep!

The last photo shows it a bit, you wind up sitting in a bit of a dish, albeit not as extreme as a Russell tractor seat. This is the stock Corbin profile, we made only minor mods and most all of those were to the perch of She Who Must Be Conveyed, but they'll do whatever you ask. Flat? Humped? Non-euclidean geometry? If you ask, they'll do their damnedest. Now, rather than sliding the fun bits into the tank constantly, this has left me with room to spare and a lot of freedom to shift about as I desire. Our return took just under six hours of saddle time, and we both felt good when we dismounted. (Wait, six hours?! Yeah, blame a lot of that on SF. The chaos on Park Presidio was truly epic. Forget 'vehicle accident', think 'meteor strike' and you might appreciate the carnage wrought upon the traffic patterns!)

• Like 1

Looks awesome, perfect choice on the colors! Years of reading about Corbin has led me to the conclusion that going there in person is a wonderful experience, but buying a seat from them remotely is an exercise in frustration and woe be to the person who has to send one back for modification or a refund.

I've had Corbin seats on 4 of my bikes and been happy with all of them. The last was a 2011 Ninja 1000. I would ride it for a couple of weeks, twisties, up hills , down hills, then go back to Corbin and make adjustments. It took 4 trips to make it perfect.  I lived in the Bay Area, right below Alice's, so it wasn't that long of a ride down there. Moral of the story, the people at Corbin will do whatever it takes to make you happy satisfied customer.

Clem: I do not know if this is any more or less true when related to all the other manufacturers and seat types out there. Each is a completely subjective experience, unique to each individual. Many riders LOVE the Yamaha "Comfort" seat, but for me it was reminiscent of the Marquis de Sade at his best. Our profile modifications at Corbin were all to my wife's seat, the driver portion I did not touch as I could find no fault needing addressing. That's not saying that it will be the same for everyone, because it just plain won't. So while I could likely have been just as satisfied with a mail-order unit from Corbin, my wife wouldn't have. That made the trip worthwhile for me. Of course, my first unit from them for my V-Strom (a decade+ ago now) needed LOTS of mods to work for me, so there is just no telling. I'm sure they do their best to evaluate feedback and optimise seat profiles for the customer base at large. But you have no guarantee where exactly on the bell curve of possibilities you may fit.

Judging strictly by the people I dealt with, from the folks on the phones to everyone on their shop floor right down to the lady cutting and sewing my panels together, each and every one seemed to be concerned with doing their job well and properly. I find that sort of commitment is much more likely to yield a satisfactory outcome than having the same tasks performed by someone who's just in it for a paycheck.

I just wanted to give folks here a look into the process as we experienced it, never to say it is the only or even the best choice for every rider. My best friend was a heartfelt and lifelong advocate for Bill Mayer Saddles, he wouldn't think of owning anything else. I now own his K1200RS with that seat as well and while it is undoubtedly well made, the profile is not optimum for me. Different bodies, different criteria. Talk to owners. Talk to manufacturers. Do your reading and make your best choice. Good luck.

Edited by PeterL
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, PeterL said:

I do not know if this is any more or less true when related to all the other manufacturers and seat types out there. Each is a completely subjective experience, unique to each individual. Many riders LOVE the Yamaha "Comfort" seat, but for me it was reminiscent of the Marquis de Sade at his best. Our profile modifications at Corbin were all to my wife's seat, the driver portion I did not touch as I could find no fault needing addressing. That's not saying that it will be the same for everyone, because it just plain won't. So while I could likely have been just as satisfied with a mail-order unit from Corbin, my wife wouldn't have. That made the trip worthwhile for me. Of course, my first unit from them for my V-Strom (a decade+ ago now) needed LOTS of mods to work for me, so there is just no telling. I'm sure they do their best to evaluate feedback and optimise seat profiles for the customer base at large. But you have no guarantee where exactly on the bell curve of possibilities you may fit.

This was my finding as well, just as one pair of jeans wont fit everyone, an off the shelf seat wont either.  Getting it measured, shaped and built exactly for me made all the difference. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 months later...

Just got my Corbin seat today, you have to remove the seat adjuster to get it to work in the bike correct? otherwise it wouldn't latch, was kind of hoping to have it set to the high position, but none the less feels great. I was lucky enough to find one on FB Marketplace for $250 shipped. Remembering how much I liked it on my VFR I jumped quickly and bought it. I'll provide an update in a couple of weeks after getting some good miles on it. 

IMG_7703 (Large).jpg

• Thumbsup 2