FJ-09 - Most Useless Feature

I dont mean to be to literal but I lose eco after 77mph in 6th every time...when you said 80 you were just givin a for instance or I'm wondering if my in off by a little. Sorta related my gauge is off by a couple when comparing to gps, friends, and posted up digital speed limit signs.
I was just giving a for instance, however in the spirit of sportmanship I decided to do some testing for you.
Amazingly my guess was 100% spot on. With a very steady throttle hand I can see Eco at 80. It flicks in and out about there.

At 80 my GPS is reading 73, which is quite a large difference.  It continues to be 6 or 7mph out as far up as I have tested it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7-8 is almost 10% off, have you calculated the odometer accuracy? Mine is 2-3 mph off the Zumo, I'll check the odometer against mile markers on the interstate next time I'm bored on the slab.
2015 FJ-09
2009 WR250R
1989 HawkGT

Yes I think the odo is accurate. Certainly over a 250 mile run it was only a couple of miles out compared with the sat nav, which I would more likely blame on the sat nav than the bike.
I passed through 2 speed traps yesterday which show you how fast you are doing through a village. One said I was doing 29, one said I was doing 32, both times the bike was showing 34.
It doesn't really matter, I just ride to the road conditions. When the bike was showing 95 in 4th gear, I think I was probably over the speed limit...

Now surely, surely, first prize has to go to the little rubber/plastic black square under the seat where the catch is.
If you reach in from the back and pop it up and out it's not such a hassle.  I think it's there to keep stuff in the under seat compartment from releasing the latch.  
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
The standard mirror placement gets my Useless Award. Unless you like admiring your shoulders, fit some mirror extensions.
I put a small spot-mirror, 2" dia, onto the upper outside corner of each mirror. They give good panoramic vision and obviate the need for extenders. IMHO...
Welcome... from sunny Brisbane!
L of S

Guest dmizer
The best way you to measure the accuracy of your speedometer is by timing yourself through a short measured distance. GPS is not always as precise as your actual speedometer. Here are some reasons for that:

[ul type=disc]
[*]The clock on your GPS receiver isn't accurate enough and causes drift.
[*]Consumer level GPS devices only have accuracy to about 3 meters (at best).
[*]GPS determines your speed based on a simple calculation of how much distance you are covering in a given time period, so the more your speed varies over distance, the more inaccurate the GPS speedometer becomes. Higher speeds amplify this inaccuracy.
[*]GPS speed accuracy is determined by how good the signal is. Things like cloud cover, buildings, and more can cause backscatter and increase inaccuracy.
[/ul]

If you can go out on the expressway on a clear day out in the country and hold your speed, as displayed by your speedometer, to exactly 120kph (for example) over several kilometers, then the GPS speed becomes more accurate. But if you're just randomly checking your speed against your GPS and speedometer during the course of a normal ride, you're not getting an accurate picture of how far off your speedometer really is.

Edit to include a link to a whitepaper studying the accuracy of a GPS speedometer and the problems with relying on it as an accurate judge of speed: http://nujournal.net/HighAccuracySpeed.pdf

Note - the conclusion is that a very high accuracy of speed measurement can be obtained by measuring Doppler shift. Your Garmin Zumo does not calculate speed this way.

• 3 months later...
IMHO I can certainly top the uselessness of the little ECO mode display. It is the HUGE icon telling you how to toggle through the 3 displays. After you discover the toggle and figure out how it works- "You mean I just toggle the switch to change between displays? Duh!"- it takes up an inordinate amount of display space. I think they should replace it with the following text: "Squeeze brake lever to slow down". 

IMHO I can certainly top the uselessness of the little ECO mode display. It is the HUGE icon telling you how to toggle through the 3 displays. After you discover the toggle and figure out how it works- "You mean I just toggle the switch to change between displays? Duh!"- it takes up an inordinate amount of display space. I think they should replace it with the following text: "Squeeze brake lever to slow down". 
It starts to make more sense if you have heated grips as that toggles to a grip icon with the press of the menu trigger to let you know the toggle buttons cycle through the heat levels instead of the information displays.  The size is appropriate for the heated grip menu as the who interface for the grips are contained in that one icon.  Sure, the icon's big for use as a standalone, but it may as well be proportional to the grip menu for consistency.

• 6 months later...
1) Having to stop to turn TCS off. Pull over to do a wheelie? WTF?
2) 115MPH speed governor WTF?
These two things need to change asap.
Everything else I can live with or modify, like the handguard ends that added 5 inches to the width of the bar and were hack-sawed off the night I got the bike home.

Archived