FJ-09 - Most Useless Feature

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Little rubber block under the passenger seat #1.

Eco "Freak" light is #2.

Honeycomb trim is just buggy. But I agree, It's #3.

But the all time worthless #4 is the rear "fender/plate holder." It's just not effective at keeping your backside clean/dry in wet weather. Seems designed to create more swirl, and that then flips up even more spray to coat you with water/dirt etc.

Other slightly bothersome bits? Plastic trim on the gas tank. I use magnetic tank bags, and it makes the front magnets worthless. (However, I'm going to mount some strong magnets with the "reverse" polarity to attract my bag with 3m trim tape to the underside after breaking up the smooth plastic with 200 grit sandpaper so I get good adheasion to the plastic. And the 3m trim tape is about the only way to stick a hard part to flexing plastic and have it stay there. The trick too is making sure the magnets are the right polarity or they repel the bag, not attract it. (And sticking metal under the plastic is an idea, but if you are going to stick something there, might as well make it a magnet that will help hold the bag in place.)

Your speedo might be displaying inaccurately because your tire pressure is off. I adjust my pressure so the speedo is spot on. For my bike and the tread wear on my bike, the speedo registers perfectly compared to my TomTom with the front tire at 18 psi and the rear at 62 psi.  P-)

1) Having to stop to turn TCS off. Pull over to do a wheelie? WTF? 2) 115MPH speed governor WTF?
These two things need to change asap.
Everything else I can live with or modify, like the handguard ends that added 5 inches to the width of the bar and were hack-sawed off the night I got the bike home.

Oh how could I forget:
3) Eardrum breaking windshield. Me ears are still ringing two days later after a 3 hour 75mph ride with foam earplugs sunk deep. Yamaha may see lawsuits on this one. This is 'murica after all!

• Premium Member
Although I go by simple math of dividing miles by gallons to get MPG to estimate how much fuel I have before I need to re-fill, the most useless feature IMHO is the fuel gauge. Especially that there's no 3/4 mark on the gauge. Fuel gauge stays indicating full till around 100 miles then jumps to half mark. Just useless...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I have to agree with you. I ran the gas tank almost empty in preparation to install my cruise control (that I'm still waiting for - another topic). I put 2 gallons in it and the gauge showed full. I ran it 58 miles (I don't rely on it - thank goodness we have 2 trip meters - the 1st one I use to watch my mileage) and it went to 1/2 on the gauge. I ran it another 25 miles and it went down so quickly and after 5 more miles was flashing. I know my what my mpg is and should have had enough to get home which at that point was about 15 miles away. I wimped out and put a some fuel in... 

Yep - fuel gauge is not to be relied on...

Although I go by simple math of dividing miles by gallons to get MPG to estimate how much fuel I have before I need to re-fill, the most useless feature IMHO is  

the fuel gauge. Especially that there's no 3/4 mark on the gauge. Fuel gauge stays indicating full t[span]    [/span][span]    [/span]ill around 100 miles then jumps to half mark. Just useless...

My previous bikes were Honda VFR 800 2002 and 01' CBR 1100XX. 5 or 6 marks but the first one take 60 to 80 miles to disapear. Nothing new to me. Its due to the shape of the fuel tank.

• Premium Member
The timer since you started the engine.
Agree completely.  I don't need a timer...my butt tells me when I've ridden long enough!

Makes it easy to figure out your average miles per hour. :-)

Archived