Niken street and highway performance

Hello everyone,

I new to motorcycling and currently I'm riding Yamaha mt-07. I'm interested in the Niken and plan on buying one in the near future. How does this bike perform on the street and highway? Does it have alot of torque and too speed. I know its pretty much a mt09 but being that its heavy does it get lugged down any?

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

Hello everyone,

I new to motorcycling and currently I'm riding Yamaha mt-07. I'm interested in the Niken and plan on buying one in the near future. How does this bike perform on the street and highway? Does it have alot of torque and too speed. I know its pretty much a mt09 but being that its heavy does it get lugged down any?

Definitely test ride it. The bike is not for every one. 

That being said,  after  my first test ride I was convinced it was right for me and my style of riding. I'm more of a long distance touring kind of rider and was looking at a used BMW k1600, Ducati multistrada  or Honda Goldwing as my next ride after my BMW R1150R. The Niken doesn't turn as quickly as a regular motorcycle because of the larger front end suspension but oddly, it's because of that larger front end that I feel more comfortable doing turns.  Think of riding a bike without a steering damper and then the same bike with one and you get the general idea. 

Never ridden a bike that because of the front end, made me push my cornering limits more  than I would normally on a regular bike on the street in the turns.  If I get a bit too aggressive the Niken will, so far, save me or I'll hit the mechanical lockout at 45 degrees. 

Very pleased with the stock touring capabilities of the Niken GT so far. Cruise control and heated grips work well.  

I'd say get this bike if you're not quite ready to make the jump to a large heavy bike like the BMW k1600 or Honda Goldwing. But if your preference is more BMW s1000xr/900 xr or Ducati Multistrada 1250/950, then i wouldn't suggest this bike because to me it slots somewhere between those two points.  

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

On 7/5/2021 at 7:40 AM, maximNikenGT said:

Definitely test ride it. The bike is not for every one. 

That being said,  after  my first test ride I was convinced it was right for me and my style of riding. I'm more of a long distance touring kind of rider and was looking at a used BMW k1600, Ducati multistrada  or Honda Goldwing as my next ride after my BMW R1150R. The Niken doesn't turn as quickly as a regular motorcycle because of the larger front end suspension but oddly, it's because of that larger front end that I feel more comfortable doing turns.  Think of riding a bike without a steering damper and then the same bike with one and you get the general idea. 

Never ridden a bike that because of the front end, made me push my cornering limits more  than I would normally on a regular bike on the street in the turns.  If I get a bit too aggressive the Niken will, so far, save me or I'll hit the mechanical lockout at 45 degrees. 

Very pleased with the stock touring capabilities of the Niken GT so far. Cruise control and heated grips work well.  

I'd say get this bike if you're not quite ready to make the jump to a large heavy bike like the BMW k1600 or Honda Goldwing. But if your preference is more BMW s1000xr/900 xr or Ducati Multistrada 1250/950, then i wouldn't suggest this bike because to me it slots somewhere between those two points.  

How is it on the highway? Does it have plenty of passing power? Is the acceleration bogged down because of the weight?

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

How is it on the highway? Does it have plenty of passing power? Is the acceleration bogged down because of the weight?

Depends on your frame of reference.  Plenty of power to endanger your license at regular US highway speeds and I've not had problems with lacking passing power, but if you're running on the autobahn on Germany you'll probably want something tuned a bit hotter with  higher  displacement (ex Hayabusa, Super Duke, FJR). 

I personally don't notice the weight penalty all that much compared to my old BMW R1150R but the Niken is a heavier bike with lower displacement (849cc).  But I also use the Niken as a GT touring bike versus sportbike orientation. 

Compared to a BMW S1000XR or Ducati Multistrada 1260 the Niken acceleration will absolutely feel slower. If reference is a BMW k1600 or Honda goldwing then the torque difference will definitely be noticeable. But in my opinion with bikes like the S1000xr and Multistrada 1260, they become huge exercises in personal restraint because it's too easy to blow past US posted speeds and get into license jeopardizing territory. Personally I find the Niken it more fun because it's more tuned for the majority of US riding speeds and conditions I'll encounter.

• Thumbsup 2

2019 Niken GT

So top speed is electronically restricted to 129mph ,this can be removed on a ecu flash of you feel the need .Comparing acceleration to say the tracer 900  ,I'd say it's best to drop a gear to gain the same buzz .However it really wins in stability and high speed cornering .It's great fun to chuck it around the twisties  ,it's a feel good grin inducing ride .It's great with a pillion also .

• 5 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 7/7/2021 at 4:21 PM, Ferrett847 said:

So top speed is electronically restricted to 129mph ,this can be removed on a ecu flash of you feel the need .Comparing acceleration to say the tracer 900  ,I'd say it's best to drop a gear to gain the same buzz .However it really wins in stability and high speed cornering .It's great fun to chuck it around the twisties  ,it's a feel good grin inducing ride .It's great with a pillion also .

I must say that I heartily agree on the pillion  passenger comment. I installed a Givi V37 topcase with back rest for my lady and she LOVES how much more comfortable this is vs. My BMW R1150R. 

I think the automotive equivalent of the Niken is actually the Mazda Miata. Not a particularly powerful machine, but very well dialed in for maximum driving / riding  fun. Once you realize it's goal is driving balance and fun vs supercar / Superbike performance, it makes more sense. 

They just need a splashier marketing campaign like the old Mazda whispering kid "Zoom-zoom".  Maybe "vroom- vroom?"

2019 Niken GT