• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Paralyzed by windshield choices…

Which screen?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which screen?

• OEM Touring
    • CalSci Medium (looks TERRIBLE!!!)
    • CalSci Shorty
    • V Stream Sport Touring
    • V Stream Shorty
    • Puig Touring
    • Puig Shorty
    • MRA Touring
    • MRA Shorty

7 hours ago, 2linby said:

Madstad is not on the list. I've owned two on two different bikes. Well worth the cost.

Too ugly and too expensive for me. Looks like it probably works pretty good though. 

Test #3 complete.

Puig shorty/sport screen. Best looking of everything I've tried yet, especially in black.

Performance-wise, obviously it blocks the least amount of wind, but at least it's clean. No turbulence/buffeting at the helmet level.

If I lived in the Desert Southwest, this is the one I would keep on all the time. As it stands, I'll keep the MRA touring on and save the Puig shorty if I take any day trips in the heat.

I do not plan on trying any more, but if a used Puig or V-Stream touring came up at a good price, I might be tempted.

• Thumbsup 4

Let the experimenting begin. No discernable difference at 70-80 which is where I think the improvement could be. I tried to model my cut after what appears to be on the new v4 multistrada. 

465108F0-C448-40A7-BD78-522A9F81EEF3.jpeg

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, pokey074 said:

Test #3 complete.

Puig shorty/sport screen. Best looking of everything I've tried yet, especially in black.

Performance-wise, obviously it blocks the least amount of wind, but at least it's clean. No turbulence/buffeting at the helmet level.

If I lived in the Desert Southwest, this is the one I would keep on all the time. As it stands, I'll keep the MRA touring on and save the Puig shorty if I take any day trips in the heat  

I agree with you, love the shorter screens for everything except rain. Great air flow, zero buffeting and very tolerable wind noise. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 hours ago, betoney said:

I agree with you, love the shorter screens for everything except rain. Great air flow, zero buffeting and very tolerable wind noise. 

I tried a Cal Sci shorty and it was terrible. The only place your head didn't get ripped off was right in the middle. Even turning to look slightly one way was torture. 

After lots of research as well I went with the VStream touring and added the cheap Chinese deflector. I’m 5’10” and I now have a very quiet ride. The added width and height of the combo also keeps the bugs off of my jacket and helmet shield. 

• Thumbsup 2

Test #4...

I had a bunch of Amazon gift card money so I decided to try a Puig touring...

Absolutely awful. Blocks any kind of cooling breeze while simultaneously causing buffeting/turbulence at city speeds, increasing in intensity at highway speeds. It's probably on par with the awfulness of the OEM touring screen. Glad it was basically free...

It's hot as balls around here lately so the Puig shorty is back on.

I need a pit crew so I can do hot laps around town and have the screen switched out quickly to see what works the best back to back...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 7/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, betoney said:

Air flow was a revelation after you recommended a shorty at the end of last summer. I cut down my original windscreen to just above the plastic mounting bracket.  I've also got a double bubble about the same size as the OE and a Givi touring. Only the OE buffeted me badly. 

But... noise over 65 mph is terrible with my homemade fly screen. I had a 3+ hour freeway drone (commute from a job site after my company reassigned my company vehicle) and I was exhausted by the end and my ears were ringing into the next day. 

It's so pleasant in town and on backroads, but I might not commute with the moto again (125+ miles daily commute to work sites) until the Givi touring screen goes back on in September. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

I'm 5"10 with 30" inseam and was very disappointed in the stock screen but found acceptable improvement with a $30 ebay wind deflector on top.

Installed a 22" clear Madstad screen on my 2017 FJ-09. The instructions suggested removing the outer layer of the hand guards so the screen wouldn't make contact with them at full lock. I added some spacers to move the screen out about a half an inch to solve that problem since I have some running light on my hand guards that I didn't want to remove. Instead of using the Madstad brace plate I reused my GPS holder plate and needed 4 longer bolts for the spacers. M6 X 35mm 1.0 pitch.

Amazing difference between the stock screen and the Madstad. I went for a test run and it was a joy to be in clean air without the bad noise from buffeting etc. Actually I was a couple of miles from home before I realized my visor was up, something I would have noticed immediately with the stock screen.

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Air flow was a revelation after you recommended a shorty at the end of last summer. I cut down my original windscreen to just above the plastic mounting bracket.  I've also got a double bubble about the same size as the OE and a Givi touring. Only the OE buffeted me badly. 

But... noise over 65 mph is terrible with my homemade fly screen. I had a 3+ hour freeway drone (commute from a job site after my company reassigned my company vehicle) and I was exhausted by the end and my ears were ringing into the next day. 

It's so pleasant in town and on backroads, but I might not commute with the moto again (125+ miles daily commute to work sites) until the Givi touring screen goes back on in September. 

Curious, do you wear ear plugs when you ride? 

I love the short Parabellum flyscreen for the FJ09, we recently did a 2900 mile trip with a few days close to 500 miles, at times we were 90+mph for long stretches with no wind noise issues.  Unfortunately they don't make it for the Tracer.  http://parabellum.com/FJ-09-Parabellum-Flyscreeen-P125.aspx

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

I'm 5"10 with 30" inseam and was very disappointed in the stock screen but found acceptable improvement with a $30 ebay wind deflector on top.

Installed a 22" clear Madstad screen on my 2017 FJ-09. The instructions suggested removing the outer layer of the hand guards so the screen wouldn't make contact with them at full lock. I added some spacers to move the screen out about a half an inch to solve that problem since I have some running light on my hand guards that I didn't want to remove. Instead of using the Madstad brace plate I reused my GPS holder plate and needed 4 longer bolts for the spacers. M6 X 35mm 1.0 pitch.

Amazing difference between the stock screen and the Madstad. I went for a test run and it was a joy to be in clean air without the bad noise from buffeting etc. Actually I was a couple of miles from home before I realized my visor was up, something I would have noticed immediately with the stock screen.

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

Are the screen mounts wrong ? shouldn't the adjusters be on the outside ?. I have a Palmer product screen and mount similar 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

Curious, do you wear ear plugs when you ride? 

Tried many different kinds. Liking the Oxford 39 db right now because they're a little softer than the Howard Leight. 

Air is clean behind my little fly screen, just loud. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, littlebruv said:

Are the screen mounts wrong ? shouldn't the adjusters be on the outside ?. I have a Palmer product screen and mount similar 

When I laid them out I thought they would be on the outside but instructions call for the adjusters to go on the inside. Maybe it is to do with airflow and adds to the non buffeting and quite ride?

Madstad Install instructions

3 hours ago, pokey074 said:

I need a pit crew so I can do hot laps around town and have the screen switched out quickly to see what works the best back to back

One thing I always do with a new acquisition is to swap out the OEM windshield screws for some button-head hex drive items, which I find much easier and faster to deal with than those accursed Phillips items. With a standard hex key I can swap a windshield in under 5 minutes. If I grab my powered screwdriver I can do it in under 2. It takes me longer to check my tire pressures!

• Thumbsup 1