New Seth Laam seat for me- 19 tracer

I also have a Seth Laam saddle and I like it a lot. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

20 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Cool. Can you share the cost and give a report after you've ridden? 

Absolutely.  I have $460 (which includes the return shipping in that) in it and have only rode for a couple of hours. Feels great.  In couple weeks heading out for a multi week cross country ride.  That will be the true trial by fire.  

• Thumbsup 3

Good to hear as I just literally sent my Stock seat to Seth last week.  Seems like a very nice guy.  Hope to have it by the end of August but we will see.

I look forward to your long distance report.  I have a Sargent now and its better then Stock but still not great on a long run.  Does the Seth Laam seat take the forward slope out?  I certainly looks to have a much larger and wider seating area which is good.

Yes it took out the forward slope.  Nice and comfy so far.  Rode today about 4 hours and it feels great.  I was using the Yamaha comfort seat while Seth had it. I can say it’s much better.  I think he had my seat about 6 weeks total.  Little longer than I was hoping for but I kind of what I expected.  He is busy however he answers calls and questions anytime.  Hard to tell in the pics I posted but I did carbon look top and silver stitching.  I didn’t have the passenger seat built custom but the rear seat is redone to match and is also much nicer than stock.   Right before the “build” he calls you and chat about what you like and don’t like about the stock seat etc.  So far I am happy with the looks and comfort.  

Edited by madsquabbles
  • Thumbsup 4

• 1 month later...

Well back from my trip using my new seat.  I had only spent a couple hours on the bike so this was go time.  I did 5400 miles in 13 days.  Indiana to California and back making a few side zig zags to see some areas.  Seat was great and no pain or hot spots for me.  Hips and back feel good.  I did use forward pegs some that I have attached to my crash bars.  At this time I have to say I am glad I spent the money.  I was really not sure if it would make a difference but I know compared to my trips in the past my body feels great.   Seat held up great and zero complaints from me.  Didn’t use an air hawk or any other kind of covering.  Just my .02.  

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, madsquabbles said:

Well back from my trip using my new seat.  Seat was great and no pain or hot spots for me.  Hips and back feel good.  I did use forward pegs some that I have attached to my crash bars.  At this time I have to say I am glad I spent the money.  I was really not sure if it would make a difference but I know compared to my trips in the past my body feels great.

Same here.  I spent the same amount of money getting a custom seat made, I have used it for over 50k miles in 4 years and don't regret spending the money, it was worth every penny.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

When I got my Sargent in 16 they had a end of season sale so it was only about $325 shipped.  After I rode-it-in I didn't like the forwards slope and complained.  I sent it back on their dime (!) and they had it back in less than 8 days (again on their dime) for NO charge and had built up the front perfect.  It now has about 45,000 miles on it and my tush and gonads still are happy.  I got it customized at no upcharge with the welt and tag delete with the GripTex side panels.  Have an ancient Sargent on my VTR too which I refurbished myself but it had about 90,000 miles before I did.  Never liked the one Corbin I had on my NT650 Hawk Gt.

The last quality sheepskin (from Aerostitch) I tried didn't work for me and they gave me a full refund!  I had the Alaskan sheepskin but they stay wet and can stink like any other, even synthetic.   I've tried the beads and air bladder covers but really they are more of a pain than they're worth. 

A custom or quality saddle is the way to go. I've customized a few and as far as I know they're still on the road.

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

When I got my Sargent in 16 they had a end of season sale so it was only about $325 shipped.  After I rode-it-in I didn't like the forwards slope and complained.  I sent it back on their dime (!) and they had it back in less than 8 days (again on their dime) for NO charge and had built up the front perfect.  It now has about 45,000 miles on it and my tush and gonads still are happy.  I got it customized at no upcharge with the welt and tag delete with the GripTex side panels.  Have an ancient Sargent on my VTR too which I refurbished myself but it had about 90,000 miles before I did.  Never liked the one Corbin I had on my NT650 Hawk Gt.

The last quality sheepskin (from Aerostitch) I tried didn't work for me and they gave me a full refund!  I had the Alaskan sheepskin but they stay wet and can stink like any other, even synthetic.   I've tried the beads and air bladder covers but really they are more of a pain than they're worth. 

A custom or quality saddle is the way to go. I've customized a few and as far as I know they're still on the road.

Jeez, will Sargent still do that?? Had mine all summer now and still not happy. It's wider than stock which is good, but still a board that slopes forward. I'm running it with the slope mod and an airhawk, still not happy. 2 hours tops and got to get off. Sometimes 1 hour.

Im tall enough to handle at least another inch of foam.

• Premium Member

Hey!  Just give Sargent a call!  What do you have to lose?  I'm not exactly sure what the slope mod is but if you didn't change what they did or even if you did, what can they say but no.   When I complained about mine and it sloping down so you're Gonads got pinched, they said they were going to make this as a running change to all the FJ Tracer saddles.   So ask them that question too.

In fact I just spoke to them again today because 2 weeks ago I called and told them that the rubber bumpers the saddle sits on were crushing, particularly the right rear, and they said they'd send me a new set of bumpers for free. When I didn't see him I called again today and they apologized and said that try to get them out as soon as possible.

I had another problem with another Sargent saddle and they took care of it again for a no charge, so at least in the past they've tried to have good customer service.

Mine is all day comfortable; maybe the welt delete helps there and the Grip Tech side panels, and I have a bad right hip, bad lumbar and neck, bad shoulders and elbows, heck, it's easier to list what's not bad. So once I get on the FJ I'm good to go until I've got a say yes to my prostate, it's just the getting on and off that's the big problem!