Radiator Guards…

Anyone running a radiator guard? I’ve never had a bike with one before but the radiator on this seems a little low. Might be cheap insurance? Anyone ever suffer a puncture?

9 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

That is the one I put on mine. Check out my review there. First one. From the looks of all the chips on my bike, I'm betting it's saved my ass a few times.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Evotech - also a perfect fit, and covers the tanks on the sides.  Rubber mounts, so no rattles.

• Thumbsup 4

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I have a cheap one I bought off Amazon on my bike. It seems pretty sturdy and is made from aluminum. I decided it would be a good idea after a good sized bird hit just above the radiator and made me realize how exposed it is on this bike. If that bird had hit the radiator I'm pretty sure it would have done some serious damage. 

Low cost insurance comparing to the price of radiator. In fact you can get one like mentioned above for half of the Amazon price - Ali Express.

I have the OEM guard. I have been considering to remove it as my bike always runs hotter than the BMWs and Ducati’s around me. I’m the only one with the fan on when we stop. The cover restricts airflow according to my ECU tuner. Something to consider. 

I have the Evotech and it has already saved my radiator. Impacting object left a dent in the radiator guard grill (easily tapped back flat) but my radiator is fine. Very easy to install on the 2020 Tracer.

• Thumbsup 5

3 hours ago, petshark said:

I have the OEM guard. I have been considering to remove it as my bike always runs hotter than the BMWs and Ducati’s around me. I’m the only one with the fan on when we stop. The cover restricts airflow according to my ECU tuner. Something to consider. 

Seriously doubt it's causing that if much, my fan does that now and I don't have a guard yet. :)

• Thumbsup 2

10 hours ago, pokey074 said:

Anyone running a radiator guard? I’ve never had a bike with one before but the radiator on this seems a little low. Might be cheap insurance? Anyone ever suffer a puncture?

I found some gutter leaf guards at a home improvement store that will work. Made of aluminum heavy screening black. Paid $2.49 each. Havent mounted yet but will be easy. Beats $50-60.

4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Seriously doubt it's causing that if much, my fan does that now and I don't have a guard yet. :)

Ah, good to know. 😁 With the ECU flash the fan kicks in even sooner because it is supposedly better for the engine. At least on my flash it is only 5 degrees Celsius, most flashes take it 10 lower lower

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, petshark said:

I live in South Florida where summer time are temps are 95 degrees plus most days in the summer. I don't notice my bike running any hotter With the Yamaha radiator guard on it.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.