Aerostitch riding apparel

g8r

• Premium Member
If you want venting and protection, the Klim Induction is probably one of the best choices. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-induction-jacket?utm_source=product&kwd=&kpid=943989&gclid=CKPN1KTzkMYCFYZcfgod4FYAHQ 
It should be noted the Kevlar mesh can be pretty uncomfortable in the joints.  I would have picked up this jacket if it was not uncomfortable in the elbows.
was that with a long sleeved shirt/base layer on? 
I have a mesh jacket and always put a base layer on underneath for the reason you give i.e. velcro on the pockets holding armour in place can chafe the skin and secondly it prevents you getting sunburnt. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
If you want venting and protection, the Klim Induction is probably one of the best choices. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-induction-jacket?utm_source=product&kwd=&kpid=943989&gclid=CKPN1KTzkMYCFYZcfgod4FYAHQ 
It should be noted the Kevlar mesh can be pretty uncomfortable in the joints.  I would have picked up this jacket if it was not uncomfortable in the elbows.
was that with a long sleeved shirt/base layer on? 
I have a mesh jacket and always put a base layer on underneath for the reason you give i.e. velcro on the pockets holding armour in place can chafe the skin and secondly it prevents you getting sunburnt. 
Do you have jeans with kevlar? It chafes my knees in strange way, almost as if it burns you.

• Premium Member
Has anyone had expereince with Aerostitch Darien Light riding apparel? I live in SW Florida and need grear that is waterproof and breathable.  The Darien has Gore Tex built in and the online reviews have been highly complimentary. It is pricey, about $590 for the jacket.  My current gear requires a zip in liner to get waterproof status. That doesn't work well in Florida during most of the year.  We have 2 seasons, summer and not summer and average annual rainfall of 53 inches.  Any advice will be helpful. 
I've had the FJ 09 for 3 months and logged 1000 miles.  I am very happy with the bike.

G8r
2012 Kawasaki Concours
1999 Honda CB 750 Nighthawk
I have a Richa jacket with a zip in waterproof membrane. I remove it in warm weather. Problem is when it starts to rain yiu have to stop and zip it in. I often tend to underestimate the rain and keep riding - until it's too late.  
For the very same reason I bought Gore Tex gear this weekend. For the price I paid, I hope it's effective.

• Premium Member
Has anyone had expereince with Aerostitch Darien Light riding apparel? I live in SW Florida and need grear that is waterproof and breathable.  The Darien has Gore Tex built in and the online reviews have been highly complimentary. It is pricey, about $590 for the jacket.  My current gear requires a zip in liner to get waterproof status. That doesn't work well in Florida during most of the year.  We have 2 seasons, summer and not summer and average annual rainfall of 53 inches.  Any advice will be helpful. 
I've had the FJ 09 for 3 months and logged 1000 miles.  I am very happy with the bike.

G8r
2012 Kawasaki Concours
1999 Honda CB 750 Nighthawk
I have a Richa jacket with a zip in waterproof membrane. I remove it in warm weather. Problem is when it starts to rain yiu have to stop and zip it in. I often tend to underestimate the rain and keep riding - until it's too late.  
For the very same reason I bought Gore Tex gear this weekend. For the price I paid, I hope it's effective.

I hope you don't have to find out until next month at the earliest... 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I hope you don't have to find out until next month at the earliest... 
That was my thinking, pay four hundred quid for a jacket and I won't need it...

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the link. It looks like a good alternative. Regarding Kevlar mesh on joints, is it the stiffness? They all have some form of armor at the joints. 
The concern I had with the motoport is the space that it seems to need to be stored (will it even fit in the OEM FJ-09 saddle bags).

• Premium Member
Thanks for the link. It looks like a good alternative. Regarding Kevlar mesh on joints, is it the stiffness? They all have some form of armor at the joints. 
The concern I had with the motoport is the space that it seems to need to be stored (will it even fit in the OEM FJ-09 saddle bags).

That's the price you pay for extra protection. My primary "all season" jacket is just too warm in the hottest temperatures we get in the UK & the rest of Europe. It has a CE back protector so takes up a lot of space if you stash it away to use a mesh jacket. One of the reasons to have plenty of spare luggage capacity.

That's the price you pay for extra protection. My primary "all season" jacket is just too warm in the hottest temperatures we get in the UK & the rest of Europe. It has a CE back protector so takes up a lot of space if you stash it away to use a mesh jacket. One of the reasons to have plenty of spare luggage capacity.
True. And I just tried to fit my Fieldsheer in my OEM side bag. It barely fits.

• Premium Member
Does the Darien or Roadcrafter two piece still have the one zip functionality of the regular roadcrafter?
No, the two piece Roadcrafter has separate zippers for the jacket and left leg. But it still goes on very, very fast. I can don and fully zip my two piece Roadcrafter in 12-15 seconds. The added convenience and better waterproofness of the 2-piece is well worth the extra 2-4 seconds it might take to zip up.

• 6 months later...
I've been riding in an Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece suit for going on 20 years now. Actually, 3 suits: 1 wadded up when I decided to throw my perfectly good motorcycle on the ground at 70 mph. Got up and rode away from that one, but had to get another. I rode the hell out of that one and sold it to a buddy for $200, IIRC.

And I now have my third one that I got from a nice Mormon boy from SLC <g>. It had every option Aerostich offers and retailed for about $1300. He charged me the princely sum of $550. Man, I was dancing in the streets over that deal! He only wore it 3 times and I've now had it for 8 or 9 years. And it looks like it'll go another 8 or 9 if I don't tear this one up...IMHO, these are the best suits in the world and I will always have one ready to go...

BTW, the Darien stuff is waterproof, I have their pants and they work very well. Very easy to doff and don, too...

-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
I've been wearing the original one piece Roadcrafter suit (now called the Classic) for 11 years. It will easily last another decade I'm sure. As noted it is hot, almost to the point of distraction, in 90+ temps (I live in TX). I bought a Motoport mesh suit for summer riding.

It's a great garment, the Swiss Army knife of suits. Last year I sent it to Aerostich for a thorough inspection/repair and had waterproof zippers installed for the big body zips.

Aerostich have expanded their one and two piece suit line dramatically over the years and now offer lots of options including lighter weight fabrics. These days I think waterproof zippers are standard. You should check it out online.

Also from time to time they do "pop up" store events in larger cities, a great way to try before you buy.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

I wear my two piece Roadcrafter in all weather. Even in 100 degree heat. It's only uncomfortable when I'm stopped. Once moving there's enough air flow through the vents to cool you off to ambient temp.

My first Roadcrafter was a one piece. Then I got fat, sold the suit and bought some motoport gear. When another rider crashed in front of me on my mountain road commute I decided the motoport's armor was not enough. And I'd lost weight. I got the second Roadcrafter as a two piece thinking that I'd seperate the halves and use just the jacket when running errands. I've done that maybe twice in 10 years. The one piece is more protective, less bulky, more comfortable and easier to get on and off.

Archived