What Ear Plugs do you use?

Heli ATP

• Supporting Member

I had not bothered with ear plugs on the 1800 miles or so I've ridden on my FJ, until this week. Last ride I used a set of molded ear plugs I had made some years ago for my work  in aviation. Honestly they were too good. Not only did they drown out the noise, but also almost all sound. What works well to make you feel that you are not riding deaf?

Ear Plugs.jpg

• Supporting Member

Vibes.  They filter the human voice, so I can still hear music etc but the helmet / wind noise etc is all but gone.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

EarPeace, they also filter out specific frequencies based on the cores/filters that you insert. I run them with the medium insert and can still hear people talking just fine.

The double-flange works best for me in regards to comfort; can wear all day. This is going to be a very subjective thing: I tried three-flanged designs and they hurt bad. Foam tips work well for me for about 1.5hrs then they get a hotspot.

• Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member

For 32 years I've worn foam disposables such as Howard Leight Laser Lights.  I find the Howard Leight Max to be even quieter.  Tried silicone and custom molded silicone and didn't like either.  I've recently become interested in silicone again, as I see some new designs, like those suggested above, that might work better.  Been using Plugfones with the intercom.  I just switched to speakers.

• Thumbsup 2

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

1 hour ago, jthayer09 said:

EarPeace, they also filter out specific frequencies based on the cores/filters that you insert. I run them with the medium insert and can still hear people talking just fine.

The double-flange works best for me in regards to comfort; can wear all day. This is going to be a very subjective thing: I tried three flanged designs and they hurt bad. Foam tips work well for me for about 1.5hrs then they get a hotspot.

I will let you know if I agree with your assessment after I get them. I've been putting off getting some reusable plugs for years and gave up on the foam type that I never stop playing with while riding

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Pinlocks for me. (No not the visor variety)  I can insert and extract them with a positive result, AKA they stay in, where others (for me) have been hit and miss.

Their claim to fame (like some others) is to allow certain frequencies through but suppress the 'nasty' ones.

And I have to say that they allow me to hear the important sounds like sirens and horns and my (attenuated) engine/exhaust.

Also, I use a helmet headset and I can hear my GPS turn by turn instructions along with my music and the occassional phone call through them as well.

I've tried a multitude of hearing protection.  Some deaden too much, some not enough, some worked their way out of my ear/s over time and some are just downright uncomfortable, bordering on painfull!

Everyone's earhole is different.  I think you've got to try a few before you know.

It took me quite a while before I settled on these so be prepared to experiment.  Good luck.

• Thumbsup 2

I buy the Howard Leight Max green foam earplugs by the box.  Use them for riding as well as any time I am operating anything loud such as when mowing the lawn or using noisy power tools.  They are cheap and work well.

I tried the Eargasm ear plugs and thought they were just horrible.  They blocked certain frequencies but seemed to amplify the ones they allowed through.  It was almost painful.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

I cant used 'in-ear' plugs, foam or silicone for extended periods, they begin to ache after awhile.  I have used Mack's ear plugs for years, just roll them into a ball or press and hold it in your ear and they mold to fit in a few seconds.  If I ever run out while on a trip, they are available at any supermarket or pharmacy.

Amazon.com: Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs - 6 Pair, Value Pack – The  Original Moldable Silicone Putty Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Snoring, Swimming,  Travel, Concerts and Studying: Health & Personal Care

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

https://www.variphone.com/en/hearing-protection/hearing-protection-motorcyclists

I bought these to use as a musician but was able to buy a filter specific for motorcycling as well. 

Silicon moulded plugs can be annoying in the beginning but just stick with it, after a while they start to glide in and feel really snug.

I’m on my 4th pair, including in-ear monitors and have sometimes not used a pair for a while because they hurt, only to find they are very comfortable after +10 serious uses.

Every ear is different... you gotta keep trying until you find the plugs that work for your ears and your lifestyle. Some people end up using different plugs on the right and left sides.

The ear plug assortment packs available from a few different places can be a helpful way to figure this out if you have weird ears.

I have very weird ears, and this is my story...

I lost about 90 pounds a little while back, and in the process, my ear canals got bigger. (And no, I've never run across anyone who has had the same experience...) Yep, less fat in my head actually made my ear holes bigger.

Anyhoo, I had a hell of a time finding ear plugs that would stay in my now-cavernous aural orifices. I had to give away most of a box of my beloved Howard Leight Laser Lite ear plugs.

After a long search, I finally found Hearos Xtreme, the biggest foam ear plugs on the planet. They're very cushy and comfy, and they're just about the only way to fill the gaping voids in my skull.

Moldex Rockets are a close second, but they only seem to work once. I break out a new set of ear plugs daily, but the Rockets seem to get compressed and never seal again the second time I insert them.

And even with the Hearos Xtreme plugs, it can take a couple of tries to get the right side to seal correctly.

If you have a similar problem, perhaps this tale will help.

And no, ridged ear plugs don't work for me.

And no, custom molded ear plugs DEFINITELY don't work for me.

I'm not sure what my anatomical oddity is, but just donning a helmet or even turning my head inevitably breaks the seal on custom molded plugs. I must have highly mobile ear hole tissues or something, or maybe my skull is squishy? Not sure, but they don't work on me. Foam plugs are the only ones that work reliably.

As far as effectiveness, I haven't found any that create a cone of silence. I can still understand people talking if they raise their voice a little, and I can hear horns and sirens, etc.

Again, every ear is different, and no one can tell you the best thing to jam in your ears. Keep trying different styles and brands until you find the best balance of comfort, noise, convenience, cost, and availability.

There's also a learning curve. You'll need time to get used to the ear plugs you're using, and to master the process of inserting them correctly and quickly. Some people need more time to acclimate their ear canals.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Hearos - 32db reduction, comfortable, great with wind noise. Can re-use about 10-15 times before they start to go bad. They expand pretty quick.

I've been using them for about 5 years now, having tried a LOT of other stuff.

To qualify my statement a little: I have severe tinnitus / hearing damage / hyper-acousis and really need to not make it worse, and these work great.

s-l1600.jpg

• Thumbsup 2