What Ear Plugs do you use?

Heli ATP

A friend gifted me with a bottle (42 pairs) of SOUNDOUT Earplugs, which also come with a rubber case for carrying spares in your pocket. I've found these to be quite comfortable even on an all-day ride. They are now a permanent part of my kit.

SOUNDOUT Earplugs 42 Pair Bottle with Pocket Case

• Thumbsup 1

I've tried a bunch, and always keep going back to the foam ones. When I properly insert them by rolling, pulling back the ear, and sticking them deep inside the canal, the NR is amazing. The only earplug that blocks more is Macks Silicone putty, since you can literally block the entire ear. I don't like how they feel, so I don't use them much. 

When I want a little more noise I'll use the Ear Peace with the appropriate filter. They're comfy, but not as much as foam to me.  When I want still more, I'll use the Loop earplugs. These are the ones I use at concerts. The NR value isn't as much, but they block out all frequencies equally, so it provides a true "turn down the volume" feel.  Super comfy too. https://www.amazon.com/Loop-Quiet-Noise-Reduction-Earplugs/dp/B08MFDT65P/ref=pd_bxgy_1/138-7639392-9477954?pd_rd_w=kTXB7&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=QGYKAJAYQPNZYGNF3WJH&pd_rd_r=87e178ba-f404-400c-956a-c731480ff323&pd_rd_wg=0Tmvn&pd_rd_i=B08MFDT65P&psc=1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

I've seen silicone putty mentions a couple of times.

Personally I don't want to completely block my hearing while riding so I wouldn't use that but if you are looking for that kind of solution, I can recommend natural bee wax. I use it for sleeping sometimes. My custom-fit silicone plugs are painful when the weight of my head is on them and the same goes for foam plugs (after a while) but natural wax works perfectly. No irritation and it completely closes the ear-canal.

And in case your wondering, the wax will not stay in your ear, it comes out easily in its entirety.

https://www.blox.info/en/sleep/42-natural-wax.html

Edited by petshark
  • Like 1

I have tried many. Pinlock and Eargasm are ok. I recently took the plunge and got custom made ones from Big Ear. They were under $100 I think and work well and are the most comfortable for long rides. 

All that I’ve tried do make it more difficult to hear my husband talk thru our cardo’s. I’m sure we will some day go with the electronic ones from Big Ear so we can hear each other talk well thru the Cardo. 

6 hours ago, I’m GPS said:

I have tried many. Pinlock and Eargasm are ok. I recently took the plunge and got custom made ones from Big Ear. They were under $100 I think and work well and are the most comfortable for long rides. 

All that I’ve tried do make it more difficult to hear my husband talk thru our cardo’s. I’m sure we will some day go with the electronic ones from Big Ear so we can hear each other talk well thru the Cardo. 

I have no issue with a cardo packtalk bold (JBL speakers) in combination with the custom plugs with motorcycle filters. I sometimes ride without plugs and just need to turn the Cardo up and it sounds exactly the same. 

The plugs were around 200$ so the excellent filter may be causing the steeper price.

One comment on using ear plugs....

I have found the they can make things too quiet for me.

If they seal to much sound out I find myself becoming detached from what's going on with the bike, the road and the ride.

I need a bit of sound feedback to keep my brain alert and into the ride.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
On 7/17/2021 at 10:24 AM, nhchris said:

One comment on using ear plugs....

I have found the they can make things too quiet for me.

If they seal to much sound out I find myself becoming detached from what's going on with the bike, the road and the ride.

I need a bit of sound feedback to keep my brain alert and into the ride.

That's why I started this thread. Too quite and I might as well be on a push bike 😄. I'm goin to research the ear plugs suggested here and select a type that will drown out the unwanted noises and help with safety.

• Thanks 1

I struggle with this on a daily basis. I can't wear the rubber/silicone ones as they always work themselves out or hurt like hell if their big enough to stay. Even spent too much money on custom molded ones, junk.

I thought these would be the bees knees but the wind noise was unbearable.

mack-s-acoustic-foam-ear-plugs-nrr-20-3-

So I've been stuck using disposable cheapos.

Wish someone made a super lightweight solid earplug. Like 15 NR rating.

• Thumbsup 1

Surefire EP4. I love how easy they are to insert, and they block out just the right frequencies to make riding more pleasant while still allowing you to hear the important things. Oh, and they work with Comms, and they can be cleaned and re-used without any reduction in effectiveness. Best $15 I ever spent on my ride.

On 7/15/2021 at 7:03 AM, betoney said:

I cant used 'in-ear' plugs, foam or silicone for extended periods, they begin to ache after awhile.  I have used Mack's ear plugs for years, just roll them into a ball or press and hold it in your ear and they mold to fit in a few seconds.  If I ever run out while on a trip, they are available at any supermarket or pharmacy.

Amazon.com: Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs - 6 Pair, Value Pack – The  Original Moldable Silicone Putty Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Snoring, Swimming,  Travel, Concerts and Studying: Health & Personal Care

Same thing for the same reason. Only thing that doesn’t drive me absolutely bonkers after a few hours. 

• Thumbsup 1

Good topic and thread. I've mainly used foam, which is fine for several hours. I've tried the silicone versions but those things will just not stay in my ear. When I put on my helmet, they come loose, no matter how I shape or shove them in. Since I do long trips, and am about to do several Seattle to Berkeley trips, I'll be once again going foam and taking them out when I stop for gas to relieve the pressure in the canal. I'm having good luck with a brand called MPOW I got on Amazon. Seem more friendly than the 3M or others I've tried. 

I guess I'm especially sensitive to noise as I truly cannot stand going above about 40mph without ear plugs. Drives me crazy. And I've got a Shoei Neotec 2 that is a lovely helmet.