• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What Ear Plugs do you use?

Heli ATP

I use Moldex 33db foam earplugs.  

I find that while I can't hear what people are saying to me with my helmet on unless they speak up, I can hear everything around me...just at a lower volume.

I don't ride without earplugs.  I'm so used to the sound, that when I don't have them in, it sounds like something is wrong with the bike.

Chris

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

For those that have problems with getting earplugs in and/or backing out, have you tried a proper ear lubricant? (other than your own saliva of course).

I use this stuff at the beginning of a ride - only need the smallest drop - and I then find that getting the earplugs in is so much easier.  It facilitates a positive 'seat' in my ear canal too.  Also helps the plug to find its own natural molded shape as well which equals a more comfortable ride duration and no back outs.  YMMV of course.

image.png.e6596cff56fd5675aaf76db649a5d990.png

• Thumbsup 3

On 7/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, dazzler24 said:

For those that have problems with getting earplugs in and/or backing out, have you tried a proper ear lubricant? (other than your own saliva of course).

I use this stuff at the beginning of a ride - only need the smallest drop - and I then find that getting the earplugs in is so much easier.  It facilitates a positive 'seat' in my ear canal too.  Also helps the plug to find its own natural molded shape as well which equals a more comfortable ride duration and no back outs.  YMMV of course.

Good tip! They included something like this with my latest in-ear-monitors. I didn’t use it at first and when I complained that the fit wasn’t very good they advised me to try it.

After just a few applications the silicone started to get the familiar smooth feel and now they work just like my other plugs. So after 4 sets my conclusion is: the better the fit the more chance the new silicone will resist sliding into place. Use a similar product to overcome that resistance and after a few times it is no longer necessary. The silicone seems to saturate and stay lubricated by the oils in the ear. 

interesting about the improved seal. That makes sense but not necessary in my case as the seal is already perfect.

The fact is that every ear is different and this is a YMMV if ever there was one.

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 1

Decided to give the Pinlocks another try after thinking about this thread. I bought a set years ago, tried them for one ride, hated them, and put them in the box-o-junk. I couldn’t remember why I hated them though. 

Well, after popping in the large set this morning for my 15 mile/15 minute commute, I had a raging headache when I got to the office. So maybe that’s why I hated them. 

I’ll try the mediums on the way home. Maybe they’re perfect. 

I think I have weird ear canals though; I have to insert them almost vertically to align them right. Which is why I have used the Macks silicone for a long time. 

If you're interested in Custom Earplugs, check out your local Costco with a Hearing Centre. Up here, they will make custom earplugs for around $60. I've had mine for 10 years now and love them. Yes, they make it more difficult to hear conversations but really, I don't wanna talk to anyone anyways. :P

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

...bumped into a fellow on the weekend who had an interesting take on this subject.

He used to sell Bose gear, and, while he wouldn't use their stuff for his home stereo (nor would I - "Bose:  no highs, no lows!"), LOVES the noise cancelling earbuds.  He just molded some silicon earplugs with the earbuds, waited for them to cure, then peeled back the silicone covering the earbuds.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

I tried the EarPeace, silicone ear plugs last ride.  With the quietest inserts and Sena's thin speakers I was able to hear the intercom just fine.  The plugs were comfortable all day.  Thanks for the tip, jthayer09!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

I just bought two sets of Earpeace, in the small size, I was previously using Auritech.  What a revelation!  All my life I've struggled to get ear plugs to fit (one of the reasons I now have 24/7 tinnitus) but these go straight in and so comfortable you can't even feel them.  Better still you get three in each pack, handy in case you lose one, and I can put the lower filters in for my off road bike and the full block filters in for my Tracer.  Brilliant!

• Premium Member
On 7/20/2021 at 3:09 AM, dazzler24 said:

I didn't know this kind of stuff existed.

I know it sounds gross but to insert my HL LL (may try the Max's) I hold their lil wings and compress them evenly down to size in my MOUTH!  They then slide in and form fit easily.  Never have gotten sick or had an ear problem that I know off as a result.  I run a PackTalk usually with the Uclear Pulse speakers but in one helmet I use the M6 Pro noise canceling monitors (no ear plugs thus required) which are very good (for the $, see link below) as evidenced by being able to turn the volume down significantly (which extends battery life due to the M6 Pros comparative lower milliamp draw versus large speakers plus the reduced volume).  I prefer the foam covers versus the 3 sizes of slicone covers, which still arent bad.  I bought replacement size medium foam covers in a 8 pack plastic box very inexpensively on Amazon.

My only issue is the hassle of putting them on and then the helmet (eased a bunch because 90% of the time I wear a Kabuto Ibuki flip front) which is a PITA compared to speakers (but then there's the added hassle of ear plugs).  I've found I prefer the cords and splitter behind my neck down the collar of my jacket but over my shirt, which does add to the install fuss but when not wearing a neck sock / wind triangle I hate the feeling of the wires on the front and sides of my neck, particularly in hot weather.  In cold weather donning a balaclava after fitting the M6 very much eases the helmet donning hassle and significantly reduces wind noise (especially on a flip front).

https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Detachable-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating/dp/B07B4PR2GD/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=m6+pro+headphones&qid=1627551820&sr=8-3

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/mee-audio/m6-pro

• Thumbsup 1

I too always go back to cheap foamies.  I find everything else starts to irritate my ears, particularly if it's remotely warm.  I have quality custom silicone earplugs (I get a new set every year at work) but none of them actually feel comfortable over time while riding.  Inevitably I go back to cheap bags of orange foamy plugs.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 2:12 AM, dazzler24 said:

Everyone's earhole is different.  I think you've got to try a few before you know.

It took me quite a while before I settled on these so be prepared to experiment.  Good luck.

The unfortunate truth here. I recently picked up a pair of the pinlocks in July. After about 3000 miles with them I wouldn't say they are any better than the foam earplugs I bought in bulk. It's nice to be able to reuse them and clean them though. Part of me believes I need to switch out my OEM windshield before searching for something different because sometimes the wind noise is just killer. I've yet to try the pinlock on my other bike with out a windshield...perhaps I should. 

• Thumbsup 1