What Ear Plugs do you use?

Heli ATP

Hey, 

I primarily use surefire ep3 or ep4's. The ep3 lets slightly bit more wind noise. The only difference between ep3 and ep4 is the number of flanges. I never tried the other higher lever with foam. Plus I use these when I go shooting too.

Amazon.com : SureFire EP3 Sonic Defenders filtered Earplugs, double flanged  design, reusable, Clear, Medium : Sonic Ear Plugs : Sports & Outdoors

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Howard Light Laser Lite plugs are low pressure -28db and super comfortable

Being pink & yellow they're easy to spot in your case and tank bag.  I buy them in a 100 pair box. 

When I'm feeling especially cheap, I wash and air dry them as they plump up nicely and are then good for a couple more uses.  Normally I get 3~ 5 rides out of a pair because they're low pressure and bounce back to size.

• 2 months later...

Foam all the way. I've tried custom ones from the audiologist and they would never fit tight and putting on or taking off my helmet would sometimes pull them out. For foam, I've tried Howard Leight Laser Lites and generic ones from the hardware store but I recently tried Hearos and they blow the others out of the water. They are made of softer and more squishy material so they are way more comfortable and they don't seem to wedge themselves out over time like the others.

• Thumbsup 1

Earpeace finally released size small moto earplugs about 2 years ago. They're my go to.

I've used a lot of more expensive ones. Earpeace, alpine, eargasm, nonoise. I'm sure they would have all worked better if my ear canals were a bit bigger, but way better than foamies. Fit is very important. I favor attenuating noise filters certain frequencies more over standard earplugs that all block noise. When I first started I used EP3s because it's all I had but they are aimed at stopping impact noise vs continuous noise (I mean they are shooting plugs)

Here's a link to a post some time ago from someone that reviewed a ton of earplugs. I chimmed in with my experiences up until that time with a link to a noise study that was done on various noise frequencies.

Edited by Bimbim18
  • Thumbsup 1

I used to use Vibes and thought they were one of the best motorcycle ear plugs but a friend mentioned these from Alpine and they are amazing plugs. And for the price, even better:

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Hearing-Protection-Earplugs-Motosafe/dp/B06Y25SM97/ref=pd_cart_rp_1_2/144-3954748-5056704?_encoding=UTF8&content-id=amzn1.sym.14493b5c-0bfd-42da-bcaf-c71500340880&pd_rd_i=B06Y25SM97&pd_rd_r=039c2fdd-92ad-4a00-a2ae-4c5df561e35a&pd_rd_w=QVtVH&pd_rd_wg=mPZaQ&pf_rd_p=14493b5c-0bfd-42da-bcaf-c71500340880&pf_rd_r=N3WXHEYWZQ00QYB2P4SR&refRID=N3WXHEYWZQ00QYB2P4SR&th=1

I swap between the 2 styles depending on what I am riding, where I am going and how I am feeling. Highly recommended. 

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member

In the excitement of the motorcycle show... I got myself fitted for molded ear plugs yesterday. I opted for the non-filtered type for simplicity's sake. Foam plugs worked well enough for much of the time, but not so in hot temperatures (difficult for me to insert). Hope to still be able to hear my communicator. 😬

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, piotrek said:

In the excitement of the motorcycle show... I got myself fitted for molded ear plugs yesterday. I opted for the non-filtered type for simplicity's sake. Foam plugs worked well enough for much of the time, but not so in hot temperatures (difficult for me to insert). Hope to still be able to hear my communicator. 😬

My brother did the exact same thing many years ago at a motorcycle show.  They are the only set of hearing protection he uses and they have never failed or worn out.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, piotrek said:

You still have mc shows?!

The IMS indoor shows folded their tents 4 years ago.  They tried outdoor 1 year after and that was it  😔

I was a long-time user of foam earplugs (not brand-loyal), as they blocked wind noise the best for me, but they were uncomfortable after about 90mins and I didn't like the idea of throwing them away on a regular basis after they got too grimy and/or lost their resilience.

In the past year, I have been using Loop earplugs, which are both comfortable for longer periods (though, not indefinitely) and more durable. I've tried other silicone-based earplugs that I have used for concerts, but none of them stayed lodged in my ears reliably once I pulled my helmet on.

I was skeptical about the Loops, given my experience, but they have won me over. I use the Experience Plus version, which offers the most noise suppression, but they now have an adjustable one that could be used for non-motorcycling purposes, too.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Ivan C said:

I was a long-time user of foam earplugs (not brand-loyal), as they blocked wind noise the best for me, but they were uncomfortable after about 90mins and I didn't like the idea of throwing them away on a regular basis after they got too grimy and/or lost their resilience.

In the past year, I have been using Loop earplugs, which are both comfortable for longer periods (though, not indefinitely) and more durable. I've tried other silicone-based earplugs that I have used for concerts, but none of them stayed lodged in my ears reliably once I pulled my helmet on.

I was skeptical about the Loops, given my experience, but they have won me over. I use the Experience Plus version, which offers the most noise suppression, but they now have an adjustable one that could be used for non-motorcycling purposes, too.

Interesting.

So you swear by them? ☺️

Do you use the "Mute" insert?

Which ear tip do you like, the silicone of foam.

I've used Howard Leight Laser Lite's for likely 15+ years.

Low pressure and so the job for me.  I can wear a pair 3 - 4 times.

When I feel really Scottish, I wash them and they're good another couple times!😁

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Visibility-Disposable-Earplugs-200-Pairs/dp/B0007XJOLG?th=1

200 pairs for only the cost of a burger over one pair of Loop Exp+

Maybe when my latest box of Lasers is used up; in about 2027... 

• Thumbsup 1

51 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Interesting.

So you swear by them? ☺️

Do you use the "Mute" insert?

Which ear tip do you like, the silicone of foam.

I've used Howard Leight Laser Lite's for likely 15+ years.

Low pressure and so the job for me.  I can wear a pair 3 - 4 times.

When I feel really Scottish, I wash them and they're good another couple times!😁

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Visibility-Disposable-Earplugs-200-Pairs/dp/B0007XJOLG?th=1

200 pairs for only the cost of a burger over one pair of Loop Exp+

Maybe when my latest box of Lasers is used up; in about 2027... 

I do use the insert. I didn't try them without it b/c I wanted the maximum noise reduction. I use the silicone tips, primarily for the fit, but also for ease of cleaning.

They are admittedly more expensive than foam ones, even if you consider the longer lifetime of durable ear plugs.

I hadn't planned on switching to them, but I got them as a gift from the Mrs.