Helmet/Jacket Lock Recommendations?

jthayer09

• Supporting Member

2021 T9GT doesn't come with a helmet lock so I'm in the market for one,

I'm leaning towards: https://amzn.to/3yYoVsO 

I dig the rubber tubing and 4 digit combination, most locks only have 3. It also looks like it should have enough cable to run through my jacket sleeve and helmet at the same time to lock both to the bike. I could also just buy the lock on its own and spring for a thicker cable.

Of course there's also the idea of buying a security cable and generic rubberized padlock so I'm not fiddling with a combination at night.

Does anyone have suggestions or anecdotes?

9 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

2021 T9GT doesn't come with a helmet lock so I'm in the market for one,

I'm leaning towards: https://amzn.to/3yYoVsO 

I dig the rubber tubing and 4 digit combination, most locks only have 3. It also looks like it should have enough cable to run through my jacket sleeve and helmet at the same time to lock both to the bike. I could also just buy the lock on its own and spring for a thicker cable.

Of course there's also the idea of buying a security cable and generic rubberized padlock so I'm not fiddling with a combination at night.

Does anyone have suggestions or anecdotes?

I use that type for my helmet and lock the carabiner through the handlebars, towards the centre. I had to file the T bar down a bit to fit my Schuberth helmet ratchet strap though. Not a big deal but worth checking before you set off for the first time. I’ve got no experience of the jacket bit though as I never leave that on the bike.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Lot's of good ideas in this thread.

Thanks! I had read through that earlier in the week and most of the discussion revolves around adding an actual lock to the bike either on the footpeg bolts, handlebar, or license plate bracket. It is a wonderful resource for someone who is interested in that. There was one person who got the Helmetlok carabiner which is where I got the idea from.

I'm more interested in a separate security cable -or- chain + lock for the little bit of extra versatility. I'll probably end up doing the bike attachment at a later date though; at which point hopefully Yamaha will have an OEM part that can be rekeyed to the ignition 8)

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, jthayer09 said:

I'm more interested in a separate security cable -or- chain + lock for the little bit of extra versatility.

Yes, I do exactly that now when I want to lock up my jacket and helmet onto the bike in one go. As per this post.

I also now put my jacket over the tank and screen effectively hiding my helmet in the middle of the bars under my jacket when locking it all down.  Reason? - the less prying eyes see the less they may be tempted!  You know what I mean?!

• Thumbsup 1

I added a helmet lock onto the support arm for the hard cases.  Does not interfere with the cases at all and when cases are off, I can lock the strap and hang the helmet on the support arm.   Just had to drill a hole and run a tap through it to get it properly threaded.

Helmet lock.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

For just the helmet I use a carabiner, you can go as big or small (heavy duty) as you want.

remove locked rear seat, run biner through D-rings and frame, bracket, etc. lots of choices there between seats and put rear seat on and lock it. Helmet strap goes deep down between seats and helmet sits on driver seat right side up in case it rains.

• Thumbsup 1

I use one of these.

Targus DEFCON 1 Ultra, Retractable Cable Alarm Lock for Laptops and Other Electronics, with Serialized Combination Lock Code, 0.9 x 5.2 x 2.4 Inches, Black

image.png.2e374e8607b37b35b8f955c7f3df96cb.png

It'll keep the honest person honest.  The cable retracts so you only have the body of the lock/alarm to store.  Also has a 95db alarm.

I run it through my helmet D-ring and the sleeve of my jacket, and through a support for my panniers.  I leave the lock on top of my gear in plain sight so the blinking red light is visible.  The light is towards the bottom of the picture, surrounded by those words, "Activate Motion Sensor".  It's a great deterrent.

Chris

• Thumbsup 2

I usually carry a thin vinyl-coated steel cable with a small carabiner on one end in case the rare situation comes up where I need to leave my jacket and helmet with the bike. I "trap" one end under the rear seat clipped to something and string the cable through one sleeve of the jacket and through the chin bar of the helmet, then back through the other loop.

No, it definitely ain't Fort Knox, but it'll do something about casual grab-n-run thieves. Maybe they'll pick a different bike, anyway.

The simple lock with a motion sensor seems a pretty good upgrade, especially if you're nearby.

If possible, the jacker goes inside the hard luggage.

Also, a protective camouflage coating of bugs seems to help...

I've always thought that stealing helmets is one of the more idiotic of crimes; even a relatively new helmet quickly becomes a very "intimate" sort of thing. No actual rider would buy or wear a used sweated-in, sneezed-in helmet; I'd sooner wear someone's unwashed underwear.

I've also heard of thieves that cut the straps, instantly rendering the helmet completely useless for their purposes or anyone else's.

Here in Indiana, one's riding attire is dictated only by public decency laws, and anti-helmet groups are very active. Helmeted riders are quite rare, and a brightly painted $800 brand-new racing Arai is so widely detested an object that it is normally perfectly safe around here with no security measures at all.

• Premium Member

This thru the helmet chinbar & up a sleeve then thru the pannier mounting bar does the trick...😝

10mm Pewag is friends with a Viro Panzer

Kind of obvious if somebody tries to ride the bike away too!

20210726_213717.jpg

20210726_214421.jpg