The whining is killing me and it's not my wife for once...

I think we have two different "whines". The one I started having is characteristically just like bad bearings, and is heard best with the clutch pressed, and the engine quiets down to an idle so the whine is heard in all its glory without any engine noise. Get louder the faster you go, starting from about 30 mph, and is unrelated to gears, or rpm, and solely dependant on road speed/drive chain speed. It certainly doesn't go away as you press the clutch - the only way to hush it is to slow down <30 mph. I don't know much about the inner workings of a bike, but I think it is the final drive bearings. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to take it in to the dealer. I hate to have someone take apart a new bike. Depending on the technician, you never know what you're gonna get! I actually like the slight whine that is related to engine speed, which has been there since the bike was new. It is kinda cool, but would go even better with a nice exhaust note (upgrade in the near future). But this new whine is something else, and sucks bad!
Gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope you can get it figured out. Keep us posted on what you find out from the dealer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we have two different "whines". The one I started having is characteristically just like bad bearings, and is heard best with the clutch pressed, and the engine quiets down to an idle so the whine is heard in all its glory without any engine noise. Get louder the faster you go, starting from about 30 mph, and is unrelated to gears, or rpm, and solely dependant on road speed/drive chain speed. It certainly doesn't go away as you press the clutch - the only way to hush it is to slow down <30 mph. I don't know much about the inner workings of a bike, but I think it is the final drive bearings. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to take it in to the dealer. I hate to have someone take apart a new bike. Depending on the technician, you never know what you're gonna get! I actually like the slight whine that is related to engine speed, which has been there since the bike was new. It is kinda cool, but would go even better with a nice exhaust note (upgrade in the near future). But this new whine is something else, and sucks bad!
Gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope you can get it figured out. Keep us posted on what you find out from the dealer.
I don't want to alarm anyone but..... I wonder if this is the first case of too tight chain ( as speced by Yamaha ) damaging the countershaft/ouput bearing? I hope not!

Adjusted mine like every other bike i've owned as soon as I brought it home. A good inch of total slack on the centerstand.

Good luck with the dealer.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Every single FJ-09 and FZ-09 whines in 3rd and 6th gear. Mine has quieted down alot now that I'm at 8,000 miles.

3rd and 6th gears are straight cut gears on the primary and clutch gears. A straight cut gear is stronger and transmits more power through a smaller area of contact. The rest of the gears are helical cut gears, which are quieter.

Perfectly normal, there is no damage and I don't even notice it on mine anymore.

• Premium Member
Every single FJ-09 and FZ-09 whines in 3rd and 6th gear. Mine has quieted down alot now that I'm at 8,000 miles.  
3rd and 6th gears are straight cut gears on the primary and clutch gears. A straight cut gear is stronger and transmits more power through a smaller area of contact. The rest of the gears are helical cut gears, which are quieter.

Perfectly normal, there is no damage and I don't even notice it on mine anymore.
Thanks, this is good info for those of us that are concerned that there might be a problem emanating from the noise, but not bothered by the noise as such.super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif 
Having a dealer simply say it is normal does nothing to calm the fears of a problem. This explanation puts my mind at ease.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

My bike does this as well, most noticeable when you pull in the clutch at 55-60 mph and decelerate.

It may be a normal sound. Curious to see what they say.

-skip

I think we have two different "whines". The one I started having is characteristically just like bad bearings, and is heard best with the clutch pressed, and the engine quiets down to an idle so the whine is heard in all its glory without any engine noise. Get louder the faster you go, starting from about 30 mph, and is unrelated to gears, or rpm, and solely dependant on road speed/drive chain speed. It certainly doesn't go away as you press the clutch - the only way to hush it is to slow down I actually like the slight whine that is related to engine speed, which has been there since the bike was new. It is kinda cool, but would go even better with a nice exhaust note (upgrade in the near future). But this new whine is something else, and sucks bad!
My bike does this as well, most noticeable when you pull in the clutch at 55-60 mph and decelerate.

It may be a normal sound. Curious to see what they say.

-skip

We already said it. Its normal. Straight cut clutch and primary gears in 3rd and 6th.

Got a source for that statement?  Service manual shows otherwise. My bike has some whine in 3 and 6th too. He's talking about a whine all the time that I don't think I hear on mine.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
The whine that you guys are describing has been there on the bike since day 1. This new whine is independent of gears, lower pitched than the gear noise (increases in pitch with speed though), and purely related to wheel speed, and frickin loud. Never heard anything like it on a bike, only on a car with a bad bearing, except much, much louder. It doesn't change at all with different gears or rpm, only mph. Pulling the clutch doesn't make it louder, just quiets the engine to idle so the whine is easier to appreciate.
Damn dealer gave me an appt 7/21. That is pretty sh*tty. Three weeks for what might be a drive train issue or any mechanical issue - don't think Yamaha would be happy with that. I will call Yamaha on Monday, but I can't imagine would be acceptable by Yamaha.
With most cars, you aren't limited to using dealers for warranty work. The mechanic/shop calls the warranty company (manufacturer or aftermarket), and it gets taken care of. Is it the same with Yamaha bikes? Or are we limited to dealers for warranty work?

I have the exact same whine on my bike as well. Any gear does not matter. You pull the clutch and that's all you hear.
I never noticed it until I readjusted my chain to "factory specs" 1" on center stand.....While off stand sitting on bike my chain is very snug.
I'm curious as to how tight your chain is when your actually sitting on the bike ?
I'm thinking about readjusting my chain. I don't believe it should be snug when Im sitting on it.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

The whine that you guys are describing has been there on the bike since day 1. This new whine is independent of gears, lower pitched than the gear noise (increases in pitch with speed though), and purely related to wheel speed, and frickin loud. Never heard anything like it on a bike, only on a car with a bad bearing, except much, much louder. It doesn't change at all with different gears or rpm, only mph. Pulling the clutch doesn't make it louder, just quiets the engine to idle so the whine is easier to appreciate. Damn dealer gave me an appt 7/21. That is pretty sh*tty. Three weeks for what might be a drive train issue or any mechanical issue - don't think Yamaha would be happy with that. I will call Yamaha on Monday, but I can't imagine would be acceptable by Yamaha.
With most cars, you aren't limited to using dealers for warranty work. The mechanic/shop calls the warranty company (manufacturer or aftermarket), and it gets taken care of. Is it the same with Yamaha bikes? Or are we limited to dealers for warranty work?

You are limited to dealers for warranty work if you don't want to pay out of pocket for it.

I wouldnt stress about how far away the appt is... Look at it this way, if there IS something wrong, it will (maybe) get worse and be easier to diagnose. If it stays the same, than it may be just part of the bikes "sound".

-skip

Got a source for that statement?  Service manual shows otherwise. My bike has some whine in 3 and 6th too. He's talking about a whine all the time that I don't think I hear on mine. 
Ty

Exactly. I think he's describing a sound that is not made by those 2 gears. Different deal.

Don't be so quick to judge how people hear things differently and blow them off as being previously discussed and solved... Sounds and noises are very subjective, Cruiz.

-skip

I loosened my chain a bit more than factory specs at 220 miles and now at 8700 miles still have no swingsrm damage .

I spend so much time on this forum that I have seen the whine Noise posts just pile up, sorry to respond in general terms.i too look forward to what the Op's dealer says.

The straight cut gear theory on the FZ-09 was explained to me by a 25 year Yamaha service manager. I believe him.

But in this case if it is a new noise in all gears, it could be something serious.

You guys got me, I stand corrected!

I have the exact same whine on my bike as well. Any gear does not matter. You pull the clutch and that's all you hear. I never noticed it until I readjusted my chain to "factory specs" 1" on center stand.....While off stand sitting on bike my chain is very snug.
I'm curious as to how tight your chain is when your actually sitting on the bike ?
I'm thinking about readjusting my chain. I don't believe it should be snug when Im sitting on it.

Riding two up this weekend I notice the whine also. Thought it was the wife but its not its the bike. I am fully loaded and about 10 lbs from max weight. I will check the chain when all weighted down to see how tight it is. With no weight on the bike the chain is adjusted a 1inch.

Archived