The whining is killing me and it's not my wife for once...

Just a reminder that all fz-09's and FJ-09's make a whine sound in 3rd and sixth gear. Every fz-09 I have heard. Other forums have tons of threads about it. No failures.

But if it sounds worse than described here or all over the other forums, you should take your bike in to get checked by the dealer.

I once had a Honda that whined in 2nd and 5th. It went for 130,000 plus miles. But, you never know..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went for a ride today. Tried several times, listening while pulling in the clutch at speeds from 30-60mph. Nothing while coasting in any gear, really quiet. With the clutch out, and on the gas, 3rd and especially 6th, the normal bit of whine.

So it does seem like we are talking about two different whines here.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

I didnt notice a whine when I demoed the FJ-09. I did notice an awful high pitched whine when I demoed the Hyperstrada. Is it possible the whine comes from the exhaust? Even if not perhaps you can drown it out with a louder exhaust.

I dont think cruising in a lower gear is a good solution because you're needlessly wasting more gas that way. You should always be in the highest gear possible without lugging the engine unless you need to accelerate hard.

• Premium Member
I didnt notice a whine when I demoed the FJ-09. I did notice an awful high pitched whine when I demoed the Hyperstrada. Is it possible the whine comes from the exhaust? Even if not perhaps you can drown it out with a louder exhaust. 
I dont think cruising in a lower gear is a good solution because you're needlessly wasting more gas that way. You should always be in the highest gear possible without lugging the engine unless you need to accelerate hard.
Not necessarily so, while it may be true in absolute terms bear in mind that no one ever rides a motorcycle at a constant speed for any length of time. We are constantly accelerating and decelerating (if not, get off that motorway and find somewhere nicer to ride!). Therefore you need to find the gear that puts you in a rev range where you develop optimum power, and where you have good control. You bought the Tracer/FJ-09 for a reason, enjoy it, feel it and hear it. You'll soon find out where you and the bike are comfortable. If absolute fuel economy was your objective you could have done better. Honda NC750 for example.

• Premium Member
Lookie what I found, a picture of the actual transmission gears from an FZ-09 (same as ours). Little grooves in some of the gears, hmm. Just in case anybody was interested.

3814137.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Lookie what I found, a picture of the actual transmission gears from an FZ-09 (same as ours). Little grooves in some of the gears, hmm. Just in case anybody was interested.  

So I take it that the grooves are not to be there. Wondering what caused it.

• Premium Member

So I take it that the grooves are not to be there. Wondering what caused it.
Na, stock by design.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 4 weeks later...

Can you find a picture of the primary shaft and gears as well? Would love to see it if possible. 
And the shift forks and shift indexer barrel?
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Premium Member

Can you find a picture of the primary shaft and gears as well? Would love to see it if possible. 
And the shift forks and shift indexer barrel?
This is the best I could find: 
linky

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 9 months later...
I am annoyed by the 6th gear whine as well.  The noise in other gears is totally acceptable.  I only have 4k miles so I'm hoping it will quiet down with more miles.  I am certain it's just a normal sound produced by the bike.  My fix is currently to ride in 5th which actually makes the bike more responsive anyway.  I do plan on using the thickest viscosity oil once I do the next oil change.  It will be warm enough to justify that oil by then.  I'll post a followup if it helps.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Piotrek- loosen your chain tension. General consensus is that 20mm when on the center stand is too tight. If you then put the bike on the side stand and sit on it, you will see how tight the chain gets.

Loosen the tension to 30mm or so on the center stand and test ride again.

Bvebrad- the 6th gear whine sound is typical and there's not much you can do about it. If you are in 6th at 55-65 mph, shift down to 5 th for a change in sound.

Howlingdrifter never reported back, so I'm not sure what the verdict was.

-Skip

Archived