Vibration/rough running?

I just bought a 2019 Tracer 900GT with 12,000 km (7500 miles). The bike is in great shape and was well cared for. But, I am noticing a ‘roughness’ to it. Not a noise, or necessarily a vibration, although I can feel it in the bars and pegs. It’s most noticeable when cruising along at about 3500 rpm in 6th, but is present throughout most of the range. If I pull in the clutch, the feeling instantly goes away. I have a friend with a 2020 Tracer and there is a noticeable difference in feel between the 2 bikes. He has ridden mine and doesn’t feel that it pulls as hard. I’ve ruled out chain, wheel bearings, brakes. Wondering if a re-synch of the throttle bodies would help. Anyone else notice this?  

3 hours ago, Northern900 said:

I just bought a 2019 Tracer 900GT with 12,000 km (7500 miles). The bike is in great shape and was well cared for. But, I am noticing a ‘roughness’ to it. Not a noise, or necessarily a vibration, although I can feel it in the bars and pegs. It’s most noticeable when cruising along at about 3500 rpm in 6th, but is present throughout most of the range. If I pull in the clutch, the feeling instantly goes away. I have a friend with a 2020 Tracer and there is a noticeable difference in feel between the 2 bikes. He has ridden mine and doesn’t feel that it pulls as hard. I’ve ruled out chain, wheel bearings, brakes. Wondering if a re-synch of the throttle bodies would help. Anyone else notice this?  

Sync will help some, but I think I have the same issue.  You can look for a "paranoia or normal" thread that explains more.  My vibes are around 4500.  Not terrible, but again noticeable.  I also think other Tracers I've ridden run/feel better.  I'll be following to see what you come up with.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Northern900 said:

I just bought a 2019 Tracer 900GT with 12,000 km (7500 miles).

I have a friend with a 2020 Tracer and there is a noticeable difference in feel between the 2 bikes. He has ridden mine and doesn’t feel that it pulls as hard.

7 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

I also think other Tracers I've ridden run/feel better.

Its funny how 2 identical bikes can feel and ride so differently.  My buddy and I both have 2015's with the same 2WDW ECU flash, on a recent road trip we swapped bikes and both commented on how differently each bike ran.  From the feel of fuel cut to engine braking to how quickly the engine seems to rev to how stiff the throttle pull felt.  If I didn't know better, I would have sworn that we were riding 2 completely different bikes. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

As the friend that owns the 2020 900, I will add that not only can I feel a difference, there is an audible difference as well, almost like a whine, that I don’t hear on my bike. 

7 minutes ago, Basket said:

As the friend that owns the 2020 900, I will add that not only can I feel a difference, there is an audible difference as well, almost like a whine, that I don’t hear on my bike. 

That whine. I wish mine was one that did not have it. Oh well...

2 hours ago, Mark Trottier said:

Mine does the same thing , bringing it in to the dealer for warranty. I believe its the clutch basket as soon as pull in on clutch very little it goes away. Will let you know how I make out with the dealer.

You have the vibes?  Or the whine?

• 1 year later...

So, I finally got around to a fix.  I changed out the clutch basket with the updated part number (the old part number is 1RC-16150-00-00 and the new one is B7N-16150-00-00).  I did not go through the clutch basket repair procedure that I have seen on this forum.  Didn't really have access to the tooling needed to drill out the old rivets etc.  The good news is that the replacement of the clutch basket (which was an easy job) solved the issue.  The bike is now smooth as silk.  As long as it doesn't blow up now, I think we're all set.  

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, Northern900 said:

So, I finally got around to a fix.  I changed out the clutch basket with the updated part number (the old part number is 1RC-16150-00-00 and the new one is B7N-16150-00-00).  I did not go through the clutch basket repair procedure that I have seen on this forum.  Didn't really have access to the tooling needed to drill out the old rivets etc.  The good news is that the replacement of the clutch basket (which was an easy job) solved the issue.  The bike is now smooth as silk.  As long as it doesn't blow up now, I think we're all set.  

Both cost $313 at Partzilla. Looks like the new one is for 2021 and up. How did you know that this was the solution? Was there a thread that discussed this?

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Northern900 said:

FWIW, before my 4+1 YES warranty expired, my Yamaha shop replaced mine twice, (original plus 2 replacements). 
they seem to last about 20k miles before getting noisy again - at least in my case. 
I just turned over 70k miles this morning, so according to my trend I have about 10k more miles before clutch basket #4, except next time it comes out of MY pocket. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My 2019 has the typical clutch noise in neutral with the clutch let out, as soon as you pull it the noise goes away. My buddies 2019 XSR 900 does it as well, and we have similar mileage on the bikes.

Aside from that, every once in a while I get a very noticeable KNOCK feeling in the foot pegs, typically the right peg. No idea what it is but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm kicking a rock or something up.

I also have to check my TB sync, as if you've seen my thread, the bike occasionally drops past idle when stopping and snuffs the motor out. Completely random, hard to replicate. I actually put my Shorai battery in it (sorry, XV920) and the issue has not happened yet so I am thinking that the old AGM was on its' way out and wasn't able to keep the EFI running if the stator wasn't pumping enough current.

4 hours ago, ItsTracerTime said:

Aside from that, every once in a while I get a very noticeable KNOCK feeling in the foot pegs, typically the right peg. No idea what it is but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm kicking a rock or something up.

It could also be your centre stand bouncing on the spring over bumps and hitting the stop on the way back up which is on the right side.

• Thumbsup 2

On 8/12/2022 at 2:01 AM, OZVFR said:

It could also be your centre stand bouncing on the spring over bumps and hitting the stop on the way back up which is on the right side.

You....are a genius. I haven't confirmed that yet but never considered it as a thing that happened lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, Grumpy Goat said:

Both cost $313 at Partzilla. Looks like the new one is for 2021 and up. How did you know that this was the solution? Was there a thread that discussed this?

There was another thread that talks about this. Many people have fixed the issue by drilling out rivets that hold the steel drive gear to the aluminum clutch basket (it comes as one assembly), replacing the rubber shock mounts in there, then booting them back together. It’s a good fix, but I elected to just replace the basket. I think that the other thread used the word ‘gronk’ to describe the issue. I’ll try to find it. 

• Thumbsup 1