• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Vibration/rough running?

On 8/11/2022 at 9:40 PM, betoney said:

FWIW, before my 4+1 YES warranty expired, my Yamaha shop replaced mine twice, (original plus 2 replacements). 
they seem to last about 20k miles before getting noisy again - at least in my case. 
I just turned over 70k miles this morning, so according to my trend I have about 10k more miles before clutch basket #4, except next time it comes out of MY pocket. 

Time will tell!  I’ll report back in 20,000 miles or so 😀

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, Grumpy Goat said:

Both cost $313 at Partzilla. Looks like the new one is for 2021 and up. How did you know that this was the solution? Was there a thread that discussed this?

3 minutes ago, Northern900 said:

There was another thread that talks about this. Many people have fixed the issue by drilling out rivets that hold the steel drive gear to the aluminum clutch basket (it comes as one assembly), replacing the rubber shock mounts in there, then booting them back together. It’s a good fix, but I elected to just replace the basket. I think that the other thread used the word ‘gronk’ to describe the issue. I’ll try to find it. 

Search “Roughness and noise at low throttle openings”

On 7/16/2021 at 3:38 PM, Northern900 said:

I just bought a 2019 Tracer 900GT with 12,000 km (7500 miles). The bike is in great shape and was well cared for. But, I am noticing a ‘roughness’ to it. Not a noise, or necessarily a vibration, although I can feel it in the bars and pegs. It’s most noticeable when cruising along at about 3500 rpm in 6th, but is present throughout most of the range. If I pull in the clutch, the feeling instantly goes away. I have a friend with a 2020 Tracer and there is a noticeable difference in feel between the 2 bikes. He has ridden mine and doesn’t feel that it pulls as hard. I’ve ruled out chain, wheel bearings, brakes. Wondering if a re-synch of the throttle bodies would help. Anyone else notice this?  

If it makes you feel any better my 2020 ,12K miles does it to, right around 4800 rpm and up  ,mostly on acceleration ,,but it pretty much goes away when I back off and just cruise ,,mines foot pegs and seat , sounds like there's some good advise reading some of the post . I think I will do the clutch basket this spring .Best 

I suggested to one shop that they replace the basket under my YES and they him-hawwed around like well, if that’s what it is I guess, but we’ll have to check it out, etc.  I don’t want to be unscrupulous about it but at the same time, I want this sort of thing covered like betoney has mentioned. 

Yall must sit alot idling…….I never hear the rattling while idling. I got 21k on mine and the rattle aint no big deal…..but then again I had a duc with a dry clutch and the rattle was normal. 

Me thinks some people are just too picky. If ya havent picked up on it…..replacing the rubbers or basket, the rattle still come back. 

And if ya are in 6th at 3500 trying to accelerate, you are lugging the engine and its not gonna like it. 

Also…..the engine does smooths out somewhat as more miles are on it. Full synthetic really helps. 

The tire I have on the front smoothed out the feel in the bars also. Treaded tires will wiggle more than tires that have very little thread pattern. 

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 7:39 AM, Yamajank said:

I suggested to one shop that they replace the basket under my YES and they him-hawwed around like well, if that’s what it is I guess, but we’ll have to check it out, etc.  I don’t want to be unscrupulous about it but at the same time, I want this sort of thing covered like betoney has mentioned. 

Given that Yamaha has a new part number for the basket suggests that they did a redesign because they were aware of a problem. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 11:39 AM, duckie said:

Yall must sit alot idling…….I never hear the rattling while idling. I got 21k on mine and the rattle aint no big deal…..but then again I had a duc with a dry clutch and the rattle was normal. 

Me thinks some people are just too picky. If ya havent picked up on it…..replacing the rubbers or basket, the rattle still come back. 

And if ya are in 6th at 3500 trying to accelerate, you are lugging the engine and its not gonna like it. 

Also…..the engine does smooths out somewhat as more miles are on it. Full synthetic really helps. 

The tire I have on the front smoothed out the feel in the bars also. Treaded tires will wiggle more than tires that have very little thread pattern. 

This was a definite feeling only present at around 3200 rpm when cruising at a steady speed in any gear. There is also some vibration through the pegs, but that’s just the bike. Also a noise when at idle with the clutch engaged. Also just the bike. But the 3200rpm thing was definitely different and has been cured with the basket change. 

• Thumbsup 2

Just returned from a 6,500 mile trip.  Last 3 days noticed more noise from the bike.  Clutch out in neutral and it sounds rough, in 1st at very low throttle openings and speed it sounds bad and hunts between acceleration and deceleration in the gears.  Hard acceleration is no issue runs perfectly.  I also have the nasty whine which has gotten worse but seems to be worse now that it was say 10,000 miles ago.  I'm thinking @betoney is probably right as mine has lots of highway miles.  I wear noise isolating earbuds so I can listen to music and hear my GPS.  Interesting thing is depending on which pair I wear and how well I put them in the noise can be little or a lot.  Poorly inserted earbuds can seemingly amplify some frequencies such as wind noise.  

The on and off jerkiness reminds me of bad damper block in the rear wheel but less movement.  

• 2 months later...

are you sure the whine isn't the fact that 6th ( and 3rd ) is straight cut gear ?

i have a big madstad winshield which blocks so much wind noise that i hear the bike better. not a good thing, the whine is so loud i have to shift down to fifth after awhile

On 9/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, Northern900 said:

Given that Yamaha has a new part number for the basket suggests that they did a redesign because they were aware of a problem. 

No, they may have actually done it to make it backwards compatible with the older models actually. 

you can’t assume Yamaha updated a part just because it has a different prefix number. Typically if the p/n ends on -00 and it goes to a -01 or -10 then yes, it may be an updated part. 

-Skip

On 9/8/2022 at 6:57 PM, PhotoAl said:

Just returned from a 6,500 mile trip.  Last 3 days noticed more noise from the bike.  Clutch out in neutral and it sounds rough, in 1st at very low throttle openings and speed it sounds bad and hunts between acceleration and deceleration in the gears.  Hard acceleration is no issue runs perfectly.  I also have the nasty whine which has gotten worse but seems to be worse now that it was say 10,000 miles ago.  I'm thinking @betoney is probably right as mine has lots of highway miles.  I wear noise isolating earbuds so I can listen to music and hear my GPS.  Interesting thing is depending on which pair I wear and how well I put them in the noise can be little or a lot.  Poorly inserted earbuds can seemingly amplify some frequencies such as wind noise.  

The on and off jerkiness reminds me of bad damper block in the rear wheel but less movement.  

You should also check the rubber dampers in the rear wheel for wear. Put the bike on the side stand in neutral, grab the rear sprocket and attempt to move the chain backward and forward. Excessive movement indicates the dampers are worn. Be aware that if you are too forceful with this test and your bike has zero play that it could move forward OFF the sidestand and fall on the LH side, so you may want to have a buddy help secure, or secure the front brake lever to the grip so it doesn’t move forward on you  

HTH,

Skip

is kilo 3 correct ? i am no mechanic and may have gotten the terminology wrong.

my tracer is a 2019 gt. i did read somewhere on the forum about 3rd and sixth gears.

and it absolutely holds true on my bike, they both have a whine that the others don't,

3rd obviously not a problem as you just paddle through, but at somewhere between 50 and 60 mph the sixth gear whine is quite loud. and that speed range where you spend a lot of time on the backroads on maine.

1 hour ago, harraseeket said:

is kilo 3 correct ? i am no mechanic and may have gotten the terminology wrong.

my tracer is a 2019 gt. i did read somewhere on the forum about 3rd and sixth gears.

and it absolutely holds true on my bike, they both have a whine that the others don't,

3rd obviously not a problem as you just paddle through, but at somewhere between 50 and 60 mph the sixth gear whine is quite loud. and that speed range where you spend a lot of time on the backroads on maine.

Yes, all straight cut as are most motorcycles ever made. 

I have a 15, and it also has a terrible whine in 3rd and 6th. 

I wear earplugs all the time anyway, but it’s still shit. 

I always like to keep my revs up anyway, so don’t really use 6 that much, but sometimes you have to and it’s annoying.