Vibration/rough running?

18 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I'd hate to turn this into an oil thread but I wonder what ya'll are using? My 2020 almost has no discernible whine in 3rd or 6th. Using mobil racing 4T 10-40w.

Same here - I use similar weight oil and AFAIK there is no whining from my 2019 Tracer 900GT. The only noise-related issue on my bike is the slight rattle from the gearbox when stopped and in neutral. This was discussed before, maybe in this thread.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Helmet.  I have a couple of helmets I use, one is a new Shoei Neo-Tec 2, and the other is a fairly new LS2 half helmet that I wear only on the Goldwing.  I have also recently extensively used a Harley (probably HJC) that I like a lot.  Each helmet has distinct sound characteristics that profoundly affect what I hear while I ride.

I first noticed this in 2015 after buying a new Harley FLHTCU.  The full face Shoei of the day amplified certain sounds from the engine that made it sound terrible to me in the saddle.  I verified it was the helmet by removing the helmet and riding without.  Yes... it is the helmet.

A helmet will allow certain frequencies to be transmitted right into the ears, and make those sounds seem very loud.  Even with earplugs, you can hear it.  If you wanna know what your bike really sounds like, ride it with a bare head for awhile.  In some states you can do this legally... here in CA we have to hide a bit.