Sidecase question/dilemma

Hey everyone. I have a sidecase question and am haven't really shopped for them before.

My recently stolen 2016 FJ09 came with Yamaha hard panniers, it was stolen without the panniers so I have the cases in hand.

I then bought a used 2017 FJ09 (I love these bikes, wasn't ready to commit to anything else) that came with a set of Givi Monokey mounting racks. https://giviusa.com/collections/fj-09-15-17/products/plxr2122-v35-sidecase-hardware

Currently the mounts for the Yamaha cases seem to be a tough find, I'm considering buying panniers for the Givi. What can I expect from the Givi's; if I change motorcycles in 4 years or so will I be able to carry the Givi cases to a new bike with a new rack? Is that an advantage to buying them?  Asking because it may determine which bags/pricepoint I choose.

Also, since the Yamaha mounts don't seem to be available, if anyone needs a pair of hard case for a 2015-2017 reach out. light scratches but great condition. I can send pics if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.

GR

• Premium Member

The OEM cases should work on an FJR1300 too. So if you're looking to sell them, maybe there's an FJR owner out there who wants narrower bags for some reason.

• Thumbsup 3

if you get the Monokey cases to mate with the racks already mounted to your new to you '17 FJ-09, if in a few years you go to a different bike completely, if Givi makes Monokey racks for that bike, you'll be able to use the Monokey cases.

The advantage to GIVI/Kappa is that the side cases can be used on any GIVI rack, no matter the bike underneath it all. Topcases get to worry about Monolock/Monokey variants. (Quick- who else has had to look up the difference. Repeatedly?)

The downside is that, being universal, they do not fit as snugly to the MC as a purpose built item such as the Yamaha bag/rack combo does. If you lanesplit, it is worthy of note.

• Thumbsup 2

I own 2017 as well which I purchased back in October 2020 with OEM cases. First think I did I sold them. They look nice but are kind of useless. You can fit much more in the same 22l Givi/Kappa cases and they have top opening. Having Givi quick lock racks I can remove or install them in a minute and they are good for small or big cases as well as support for soft bags. And of course you can use them on any other bike (with proper racks as mentioned above). Much more universal in my opinion.

• Thumbsup 1

I ditched the oem cases and went with givi Dolomiti bags, no exhaust cutout on them so the should mount to whatever my next bike might be for the cost of a givi mount.

Plus they are top loading which is way more useful than the clamshell cases lol

OI000145.thumb.JPG.92c80e533ca324ef37155e5c11f296c5.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Yes, those city cases will fit an FJR.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 7/21/2021 at 12:33 PM, nycfj09 said:

I then bought a used 2017 FJ09 (I love these bikes, wasn't ready to commit to anything else) that came with a set of Givi Monokey mounting racks. https://giviusa.com/collections/fj-09-15-17/products/plxr2122-v35-sidecase-hardware

Note, those racks are for the V35/V37 bags only. Givi makes racks for those for most bikes, so you could take them when you sell the FJ. Those cases won't fit on the standard monokey racks, and the standard monokey cases won't fit on the V35/V37 style racks.