Friendly Reminder

21 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Excellent ... thanks for the comments and sharing pictures of the conditions in which you rode. Good point on the suspension travel on those roads. Speeds sound fine for me for what I might want to do. Did you make any adjustments to the suspension or tire pressures beforehand? Looks like stock road tires, so maybe Michelin Anakee Adventure tires would make a difference ...?

I personally don’t adjust anything when going off-road because it’s so spontaneous. it be really hard pumping up the tires in middle of nowhere. different tires will definitely help. My bike is literally 99.5 percent of the time on pavement . The more you try to make the bike more like a dual sport  the worst it will handle on the curves. 

it all depends on your riding style. 

• Thumbsup 4

3 hours ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

I personally don’t adjust anything when going off-road because it’s so spontaneous. it be really hard pumping up the tires in middle of nowhere. different tires will definitely help. My bike is literally 99.5 percent of the time on pavement . The more you try to make the bike more like a dual sport  the worst it will handle on the curves. 

it all depends on your riding style. 

Sounds like you use your Tracer 900 GT much as I intend to. Thanks.

• Thumbsup 1

So on my way back from Montana I went thru a state park next to I80 coming into Cheyenne.  I had been on the road before the other direction.  My untrusty Garmin Zumo XT was on and helping me navigate.  Got off the interstate and headed down the road.  Got on the gas in first and hit second and was maybe 50MPH.  Cattle crossing at the crest of the slight rise.  I focused on making sure I did not ride across the small gap in the ends of the pipes - think I hit one the other day and got a small cut on my tire.  Looked up and Oh No!!!!!!!  It's a gravel road and I'm doing 50!!!!  It is going downhill slightly but getting steeper!   Panic time!  I rolled off the throttle and careful used the rear brake to drop my speed to about 8 MPH.  Whew big sigh of relief but now I need to turn around!  Wound up riding down to the bottom of the hill around a descending right hand turn.  At the bottom was an area big enough for me to turn around.  Careful rode up the hill and made it out without dropping the bike.

I'm a street rider and have very little dirt/gravel experience with a lot of that gathered in road construction areas out west.  Bike did very well and was very stable.  Biggest problem was the washboarding which was bounding me around but bike was very stable.  It was fully loaded with full sidecases, 58 liter duffle on the rear seat and a small top case with some lighter stuff in it.

Earlier in the trip visited my sister in Michigan and took the gravel roads to her lake house.  LOL untrustworthy Garmin Zumo XT directed me down a narrow dirt road marked private and no trespassing!  So I went down it!  LOL the signs weren't lying and it went all the way thru to the road she is on except for 75 feet!!!!  I made it on the 3rd attempt.  Again bike did great and seemed to be very capable for dirt/gravel roads.  She did tell me that the 991 response calls go the same way and get stuck tying to get thru the imaginary road.  

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

So my XT is unreliable?

Untrustworthy. Garmin will send me down unpaved roads here in Mississippi even if I select the Avoid Unpaved Roads. I have a little dirt experience and my usual riding buddy (on a Ninja 1000) started riding in India so he's used to many different surfaces. We just slow down and continue.

@PhotoAl - it's always fun to crest a rise or go around a sharp corner at fun paved road speeds and discover unexpected gravel. 😳

• Haha 1

@Grumpy GoatI did some not well maintained fire roads on my FJ. 100% street tires, Angel ST's I think. In dry conditions it's fine. Skid plate is certainly required for anything even remotely off pavement. Otherwise, the ergos are fine. Suspension is a little harsh, so I stood up most of the time. The rear ABS is annoying, but the front ABS is nice. You should be just fine doing some light offroading. 

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

So I once turned onto a back country road at speed which had no warning signage suddenly became freshly graded almost 3" deep uncompacted 3/4" average diameter river-washed gravel.  To say slowing down was a sphincter puckering experience is an understatement.

When I did safely get stopped and turned around enough to go back hence I came, every time I tried to take off no matter how gently with smooth clutch slippage no forward progress was possible.  I finally realized I needed to turn off the TC; my FJ being the first bike I've owned with TC, ABS and FI.

As soon as the TC was defeated, I was able to safely get back to tarmac, which I'm much more comfortable on...

• Thumbsup 3

On 9/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, koth442 said:

@Grumpy GoatI did some not well maintained fire roads on my FJ. 100% street tires, Angel ST's I think. In dry conditions it's fine. Skid plate is certainly required for anything even remotely off pavement. Otherwise, the ergos are fine. Suspension is a little harsh, so I stood up most of the time. The rear ABS is annoying, but the front ABS is nice. You should be just fine doing some light offroading. 

Thanks for the input and the tip on the skid plate.

• Thumbsup 1