Irish roads

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Am planning a trip to Ireland in late September and have heard some wonderful things about Irish roads.  Although I won't have my Niken, my lady and I are planning to rent a motorcycle (choice between a Harley or a Honda Africa Twin) for a day ride.  Any recommendations on gorgeous roads to check out in Ireland?

This will be my first time in Ireland so any good food stops would be helpful too. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 9 months later...
  • Supporting Member

All right - finally counting down until my lady and I hit Ireland and are doing a grand loop of Ireland and Northern Ireland of almost 10 days. Am learning a lot about driving rules and am excited to re-visit driving a car on the left-hand side of the road with a right-side driving position with a manual. Last time I did this was in Australia many, many years ago. 

Also - not entirely clear how you pay your tolls there. I found this website, Tolling Information | eToll.ie and it sounds like you either get a physical tag (etoll) or enroll in video tolling which is just cameras on your license plates and sending you a bill (which I was surprised to learn that if you didn't register in advance you must pay online before 8PM the subsequent day or get hit with additional penalties/fees). Anyone have pics of what this physical tag/etoll looks like? 

The other surprise was how it switches from metric system in Ireland to Imperial system in Northern Ireland. Didn't even think about how I'm going to have to switch units in the car to ensure I don't get speeding tickets. Also was thinking about driving from Belfast to Malin Point - anything I need to be aware of when crossing the border from the Northern Ireland side to the Ireland side and then back? 

Any other tips from folks would be greatly appreciated.  

2019 Niken GT

As always, you will be avoiding boring motorways so tolls will not/should not be a concern - you do not need etags/accounts or anything else.  It is toll free to use  national (N), regional (R) or local roads (L). 

The only roads that are tolled (in some sections) are inter-city motorways (M designation).  These tolls are collected in cash at standard manned pay booths.  The only exception is the auto-toll on the M50 north of the Westlink bridge where you can pay using a credit card online before 8pm the next day, but you are unlikely to use this section of the M50.

It is true that we have KMph in the Republic of Ireland and Mph in Northern Ireland.  It is easy to convert in your head after a little while.

The border is totally transparent, no checks or anything like that.  The only way you know you are in NI is the speed limit signs are in MPH.

As the country roads around the coastline tend to be bumpy and the surface can be marginal, I would favour an Africa Twin over a cruiser.

You put another thread on this forum in relation to this trip (which I cannot seem to find now) which linked to 2 videos and some comments which are good information.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mobile speed cameras (vans) are in use in Ireland  but not that common actually.  Fixed cameras are rare.  Most msc's measure oncoming speed recording the front number plate, and as bikes don't have front plates they can't catch you.

France is the worst imo with multiple fixed cameras at the entry and exit of every small town.  Austria going the same way.

• Supporting Member

Just completed my grand tour of Ireland and  a few questions / observations: 

-Are motorcyclists and bicyclists required to wear high viz gear? I was surprised at how many riders were wearing high viz /neon green/yellow gear. US could learn a lot from the Irish. 

-police cars and emergency motorcycles are also decorated in high viz yellow.  Nice to see that. But it was surprising to see paramedics on motorcycles. In the USA paramedics are only in ambulances. 

-Irish drivers actually observe stoplights and generally don't run red lights like they do here in the USA. First time seeing a timer integrated into a construction stoplight to manage one Lane traffic.

-LOVE the simplicity of Irish signs and their warnings. 

-surprised to see life preserver floatation devices situated at regular intervals across all bridges. If they did that in the USA they'd all be stolen. 

-what does it mean when Irish say "fair play"? 

64189983-27A4-42EA-9976-CC63E9098D20.jpeg

14D3F7A0-CEE8-4AA5-8E75-908219D6BC1B.jpeg

25D16B9A-6CE3-4B98-B2E4-0AFFBAA2AB85.jpeg

1A064B5D-B766-4264-8FC3-EE2F60CDEE5E.jpeg

B6F59D65-BCC6-4D97-AFFD-B5DB33F7564A.jpeg

E674457E-E172-4CBD-94ED-65740C6CBD6A.jpeg

33626E46-2AC1-48FD-A4EB-1541FB2C4A99.jpeg

7FC22AE1-9312-48F7-BBE8-D6154A647255.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, NikenLee said:

I hope you enjoyed the trip and were looked after.

Loved the trip and the Irish people are super friendly. I'm actually trying to learn the lyrics to Molly Malone now so I know at least one Irish song to connect with Irish people in the future. 

I also learned that I prefer Irish whiskey flavor to the Scottish peat based version. 

B1B6817C-AEF3-48C4-B440-7ECD0614F3DF.jpeg

293C4A6B-8816-43BC-9502-9519700EBDE2.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

After driving a good two weeks around Ireland some of the best motorcycling roads that I would suggest:

1. Gap of Dunloe - absolutely breathtaking scenery on these incredibly narrow roads that are perfect for motorcycles and challenging for cars. 

2. Ride to Downpatrick Head. Stunning views. 

2. Ballyvaughn - the route through Clare Burren looks like the surface of the moon. 

4. Connemara National Park - don't go fast through here because of the sheep crossing the road of their own volition.  Gorgeous views. 

71AFA9A4-FFB6-45D4-AEA9-EBDFB6F18D4B.jpeg

80F79F5A-93DA-44BF-BD5C-0B094A911DF9.jpeg

1E73705D-7ABD-47FF-842A-EA71ED21A4F4.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Irish weather was very fortunate while we were there - only rained for short periods while we're transiting between cities. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

-what does it mean when Irish say "fair play"? 

It means "Good Job", kind of like when the Aussies say 'good on you' or here in the US 'nice one'.

Nice write up, now you got me thinking of how I can get a ride in next time home. 

Molly Malone

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

The harp is their national symbol

My oldest started playing at age 4 and won the US IAHF harp off at age 8

We were too poor to go to the finals in Dublin unfortunately 

She still plays including Irish Troubadour, a semi-grand, grand and electric.

Has her own band / group and is booked solid during St Pat's week here. 

Youngest was in Chicago Trinity dance group until HS. The lil ones are SO cute in their outfits and wigs! I marched with them up Columbus drive bere on St Pat's day.   We have north and south side parades!  Chicago is Ireland's 3rd largest city.

Erin go braless!

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

Was treated to my first full rainbow ever during our visit along the return from Giants Causeway along the eastern coast of Ireland back to Belfast. 

Couldn't check for pots of gold but I felt very rich for the five minutes that the rainbow made itself visible. 🍀

D3FD405E-C70D-4DBC-A708-C15A27576BB3.jpeg

• Like 1

2019 Niken GT