Rode a T9GT at Yamaha demo...kind of blown away

On 10/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, betoney said:

I agree, I don't want to be stuck with only 2 settings, I am very picky when it comes to suspension and have spent a LOT of time and miles tweaking and fine tuning.  

When you rode the new Tracer 9 did you feel that it needed different damping settings or just correct springs for your weight?

Needed a spring adjustment but that generally should have some dampening /valving adjustments as well.  Still a much better setup than any other stock tracer!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered one back in April slated for May delivery, but just got it (GT9) mid October. Played around with the settings and settled on the suspension in Sus2 (comfort) with T1 throttle (full delivery). Couldn't be happier. Tried the other throttle settings but they just were too lazy on the power delivery. FYI I rode my 15 FJR in sport mode for 20k miles and never wanted the touring mode once. I did put on the 2020 Tracer 900 touring screen and now life is perfect. This machine is amazing in so many ways. I agree the dash is just too busy and the info is too small. I can see it, but it's a strain. Waiting on the factory to bring out frame sliders and I'll be happy.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2021 at 6:41 PM, stevesweetz said:

So yup, Yamaha did their yearly demo at the one big dealers near me and they actually had a Tracer 9 GT.

For reference, I currently ride a 2016 Fj-09 with 23K miles on it; Sargent seat (and some minor cosmetic things), but otherwise stock.

I can not believe how much improved the Tracer 9 GT is. 

• The ride was very noticeably smoother, I now understand why people think the previous gen's suspension is bad.
  • There's still some on/off throttle jerkiness, but the surging/unevenness when at very low input (parking lot maneuvering speeds) is pretty much gone. 
  • I 've seen some people say the Tracer 9 seemed taller in the seat than the previous generation, for me this wasn't the case.  I'm 5'9" and 29" inseam, and I still can't flat foot it, but I could get more of my feet down vs my FJ-09.
  • Ergonomically, the foot pegs seem just a smidge further forward and that makes the seating position feel a lot more neutral.  I definitely preferred it to the FJ-09.
  • Windscreen is so easy to adjust and in the high position it kept me (again 5'9") almost entirely out of the wind.
  • I already thought the Fj-09 had one of the best stock exhaust notes, but it's even better on the Tracer 9. 

As is always the case, these test rides are pretty short.  It was an 8 mile/20 minute ride.  Nowhere near long enough to make a judgement on the seat and really had no opportunity to mess with cruise control and other electronics.

There only downside that I found: the dash truly sucks. The screens are too small and I already knew from reviews the angle was bad, but man, even with me being shorter, it still felt like they're pointing at my chest, not my face.  This is not a deal breaker for me, I don't spend much ride time looking at the dash, but I really don't understand what Yamaha was thinking here.  Must have gotten a good deal on on tiny TFT screens that no one wanted.

Anyway, now I'm quite depressed.  I was already sold on the Tracer 9 GT and I have been trying to get one since April, but no dealer in 150 miles that I called/emailed has them and none could provide an estimate for when they would get them.  Now I know just how good the bike I'm missing out on is :(

Stevesweetz, 

Have you gotten a Tracer 9GT yet?  Here's my 2 cents on your concerns:

1) Get a red one.  This gives you an entire year to convince yourself that you like it.  That means you'll end up liking it for longer because you didn't drool over it for an entire year before getting it. 😊

2) Don't worry about the screen at all!  I'm pushing back a bit here, but wanting to look at the screen too much is a crutch and an obsession that we all need to pull away from.  The screen tilted toward your body is a good thing, as it's forcing you to spend more time looking down the road and not at your gauges.  Because the TFT and navigation screen were located too much into the centrality of my vision, I sold a BMW R1200GS....I wanted them out of my way, not more in my way!  I know it can be anxious when the gauges are right in front of you, but in the end, it'll be a much safer ride for you and you'll learn to trust your instincts if you aren't always looking at them.  And you'll be surprised at how well you can gauge speed without it!     

Edited by Jayzonk
  • Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 11:51 PM, Jayzonk said:

Stevesweetz, 

Have you gotten a Tracer 9GT yet?

Nope.  I don't ride in the winter and 2022 shipments haven't gone out to dealers yet anyway.  None of them are even taking orders because they can't guarantee inventory :(

The dash isn't a deal breaker as said, it was just the only notable complaint I had after a 20 minute test ride.  I don't spend much time looking at the dash, but when I do, I would prefer if I didn't have to use binoculars to read it ;)

You get used to the dash and it does have more info available than any bike I had before.  As stated, you don't ride staring at the dash.

The windscreen is actually pretty good for a sport tourer.  I'm 5'9" and feel that the wind protection is adequate and I feel very little buffeting once I found the sweet spot.  The noise is mostly from my helmet but that was fixed by adjusting the drawstring on the neckroll (Nolan 100-5).

In all I like the 21 over the 19 that I rode in Europe through the Pyrenees.  The 19 seemed unfinished compared to the 21.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, OldBikers said:

You get used to the dash and it does have more info available than any bike I had before.  As stated, you don't ride staring at the dash.

The windscreen is actually pretty good for a sport tourer.  I'm 5'9" and feel that the wind protection is adequate and I feel very little buffeting once I found the sweet spot.  The noise is mostly from my helmet but that was fixed by adjusting the drawstring on the neckroll (Nolan 100-5).

In all I like the 21 over the 19 that I rode in Europe through the Pyrenees.  The 19 seemed unfinished compared to the 21.

Again, with your wonderbike, you should be out riding!

We only got 5 inches of the white stuff an it's over 18 already by me...

• Supporting Member
On 10/21/2021 at 6:29 PM, betoney said:

I agree, I don't want to be stuck with only 2 settings, I am very picky when it comes to suspension and have spent a LOT of time and miles tweaking and fine tuning.  

When you rode the new Tracer 9 did you feel that it needed different damping settings or just correct springs for your weight?

Preload is fully adjustable with tools, it's rebound that is electronic and only two settings. I do agree having a 3rd setting would be nice and a 4th would be ideal. Currently having only stiff or soft isn't great, and stiff is stiff, like intermediate track-day stiff... and soft is too soft anything that isn't Michigan roads. There should be from soft to stiff: bad road (Michigan), normal road (maintained city/interstate), stiff road (properly graded curvy/back roads), and track mode, as the 4 preload options.

However, and I say this with the utmost praise at a $14k bike: It is the best compromise for a suspension system from the factory in my opinion.

Only things I find myself wishing for on the bike is illuminated/backlit switch gears and a dash that can tilt.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:14 PM, stevesweetz said:

Nope.  I don't ride in the winter and 2022 shipments haven't gone out to dealers yet anyway.  None of them are even taking orders because they can't guarantee inventory :(

Called my regular dealer today and they said they've been allotted one 2022 model.  Thankfully it had not been reserved yet, so I put a deposit on it.

Supposed to be in by end of March, but I wouldn't take delivery before then anyway

On 8/1/2021 at 3:41 PM, stevesweetz said:

still some on/off throttle jerkiness, but the surging/unevenness when at very low input (parking lot maneuvering speeds) is pretty much gone. 

man, all really a matter of perspective and experience huh? I came from a GSXR and by comparison my Tracer is BUTTER smooth in low rpms.