Dealing with stock exhaust system heat.

2016 Stock exhaust FJ-09. Brutal left side heat issues coming from the catalytic convertor. Enough that I have 2nd degree burns on my left calf. Any solutions? Shields? Guards? Replace the exhaust? I don't want to lose my center stand though. Any thoughts, Ideas. solutions? Thanks. 

Edited by 2linby
spelling

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2linby said:

2016 Stock exhaust FJ-09. Brutal left side heat issues coming from the catalytic convertor. Enough that I have 2nd degree burns on my left calf. Any solutions? 

Since the cat is down by your heel, how did you get 2nd degree burns up on your calf and not your ankle or foot?  Did it melt through your pants and boot?

I know it doesn’t pertain to your experience but I had the stock exhaust for almost 2 years and never felt ANY heat on left or right side, do you think the cat could be getting clogged and over heating?  

• Thumbsup 6

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I wonder the same thing as @betoney. I don't think the exhaust on my 19 Tracer is any different and I've never felt the slightest heat. In fact, I sometimes wish my Tracer put off some heat in the winter here in the PNW. Damn thing runs way too cool! 

• Thumbsup 5

I have experienced a heat issue from the cat once in 18,000 miles on my 2019 Tracer GT and this was on a recent ride. 

My right foot was getting cooked. 

It was during hot weather.......109. Since it was so hot I decided on a mellow pace around 40 mph in 4th, 3rd at times. I don’t remember what mode I was in....A or STD.

All I did to make it go away was picked up the pace to get air flow over the cat. The burning sensation in my foot went away. 

I figured slow speed, hot day and pavement were the reasons. This was not my first hot day ride, but it was the only time I rode that slow for any length of distance on a hot day. 

Mode setting......not sure if this was a factor. I dont know enough about the map changes that are made. 

So, it can happen but for me it was because of how I was riding it.

• Premium Member

Never experienced any heat issues on my 2015. Sounds like you need to take a trip to the mechanic.  In fact I rode through  Death Valley last week and the engine temp got up to 208 riding along and still no burned lower extremities. Like  Salish900 said, in the winter I wish the thing put off more heat. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Salish900 said:

I sometimes wish my Tracer put off some heat in the winter here in the PNW. Damn thing runs way too cool! 

2 hours ago, micah2074 said:

. Like  Salish900 said, in the winter I wish the thing put off more heat. 

If you have frame sliders or crash bars and can rest your feet up by the front engine mount, they will stay toasty in cold weather. 👍🏻

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 hours ago, betoney said:

Since the cat is down by your heel, how did you get 2nd degree burns up on your calf and not your ankle or foot?  Did it melt through your pants and boot?

I know it doesn’t pertain to your experience but I had the stock exhaust for almost 2 years and never felt ANY heat on left or right side, do you think the cat could be getting clogged and over heating?  

The funny thing is my Aerostich R3 is fine and no burns or heat damage to my boots. No issues with the bike running hot as the temp gauge ran no hotter than 195 and ambient air temps no higher than 105.  It was like a blast of hot air directed straight and sustained at the middle of my inner calf as my riding suit was pressed tight against my calf with zero air flow between the inner suit liner and my bare skin. I didn't have long pants on under the suit. Opting to wear bike shorts for comfort on this long ride. Yes this is very unusual as I now have over 21,000 on the bike and no issues like this before the ride. I tired holding my left foot out and away as much as possible, but my highway lights are mounted exactly where I tried resting my foot and that just didn't work very well.  I just ordered a set of highway pegs to mount on the engine guards to see if they will allow me to hold a different position during long rides. 

• Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Were you able to retain the center stand?

I found their shop on Ebay, yes you retain the centerstand and it's also a full system. The exhaust can looks of good quality, but I'm sure the header is of thinner steel than the OEM. System sounds pretty loud with or without the baffle from vids I have found on youtube, but me thinks that will be just fine. )