Need New (Used) Engine, XSR? FZ?, FJ09.

redfjniner

My number 2 valve bit the dust and either I need to redo the head or just install a good used engine.  My question is will the bare bones FZ and XSR engines fit and hook us easy?  I have leads on all three, XSR, FZ and FJ09 engines.  Any thoughts as to which might be better, like one comes with slipper clutch plates and or ?.  I have lots of time to look as I will be riding the FJR until the FJ gets fixed.  I think that an engine replacement would be the easiest.

• Sad 2

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Yeah I agree a engine swap would be the easiest to do. However if you have time on your hands rebuilding the motor is pretty fun. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184978737908?fits=Model%3AFZ09|Make%3AYamaha&hash=item2b11978af4:g:we0AAOSwZZxhCKKn

Edited by Your_Boy_Yuriy
edited the link

However, it might be cheaper taking the head off and sending it over to the machine shop. Plus I am not sure if you will need to drop the engine to remove the head. Removing the head shouldn't be difficult. Its just splitting the crankcase and doing a proper rebuild is were everything starts to get messy.

And sorry to hear about the valve giving out. How many miles on the engine? 

• Premium Member

Old Red's got a bunch a miles on that thing.  I'd go with an XSR motor if the FJ ECU will play nice with it but they stuck some electrics on both sides of the frame below the steering head on the XSR though I doubt that'd matter.  The XSR has the slip/assist clutch (I put one in my 15).  Now you could also maybe get the XSR ECU too, which supposedly better than the FJs.

$ will tell the tail...

• Thumbsup 1

8 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Now you could also maybe get the XSR ECU too, which supposedly better than the FJs.

But wouldn't that have issues with the display, wonder if the ecu is programmed to the display or the display programmed to the ecu?

3 hours ago, koth442 said:

Did it drop a valve or did a valve burn up? Replacing a head gasket / valve really isn't that much trouble. 

The valve was beat up, jagged around the edges (many holes).  I guess you would call that burnt up.

106,000 miles.  The way I figure it, at 10 cents a mile, I have really gotten full value out of the bike, and I don't feel that I would be out financially if it was a total loss.  But I have added a number of things that are worth keeping so putting a new used engine in it would be smart.

• Thumbsup 2

I disagree. I EXPECT at least 100k miles out of my liquid cooled bikes. Air cooled, don't know.

My last few bikes I traded at anywhere from 60k to 85k miles. I'm sure they all kept on going.

Im 90% sure the head can be removed in the frame. That's what I'd do. Check head over, new valve or valves, lap them in, new head gasket and head bolts. Done. Keep piling on the miles.

Valve checks every 16k miles.😉

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

The bike may not owe you anything, but show her some compassion and have the head done. you know the history of the motor and I'm sure you have taken care of it. I know more people that have put used engines in bikes and lived to regret it. Sure the engine came out of a low mileage bike, but the last owner use to Rev-bomb it every chance he got till he flipped it over backwards doing a wheelie. There are a machine shops the specialize in doing bike heads that you think are trash and make them as good as new. 

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Im 90% sure the head can be removed in the frame. That's what I'd do. Check head over, new valve or valves, lap them in, new head gasket and head bolts. Done. Keep piling on the miles.

1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

The bike may not owe you anything, but show her some compassion and have the head done. you know the history of the motor and I'm sure you have taken care of it. 

I'm looking into having the head redone:  new valves, seats as needed, etc.  Will post what comes of that.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

On the other hand there's also 106,000 on the pistons, rings, cylinders, crank, trany, clutch,etc

So if you can find a for sure good used engine for a decent price (no idea on that), it may not be a bad idea...

I picked up not 1 but 2 used VTR engines which have kept my original going strong at 111k+ miles

Knock on plastic

• Thumbsup 3

13 hours ago, redfjniner said:

I'm looking into having the head redone:  new valves, seats as needed, etc.  Will post what comes of that.

I think there's a brand new head for sale on this forum unless Vinnie finally managed to sell it. Just a thought.

• Thumbsup 3

'15 FJ09

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 5:43 AM, koth442 said:

I think there's a brand new head for sale on this forum unless Vinnie finally managed to sell it. Just a thought.

I tried to contact Vinnie, No response.  BTW, I ran across another 15  FJ09 owner that had the same thing happen to him, but at 114,000 miles.  He went the route of a mechanic, and $1100 to redue head with all new valves.  I checked with my local dealer and they quoted a head with valves unassembled at around $3000.  Yikes.  I tried to contact a fellow that only works on motorcycle engine rebuilds but have not received a response.  These kind of guys are hard to find in my area, Vancouver, WA.