Quiet exhaust question

mumph

I have a 2018 Tracer 900 GT. I'm old and find the stock exhaust that came with my bike is too loud for me (and I wear plugs), does anyone know of a add-on I can add to quieten the noise...? 

Many thanks 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1

Hello there, 

That's the first I ever heard of a stock exhaust being too loud. If your bike isn't brand new with zero miles maybe the previous owner swapped out the stock exhaust with a aftermarket one? I personally don't know of a aftermarket exhaust that will reduce the noise. Worst case scenario shove some  stainless steel wool into the exhaust... lol just saying

Yeah, I suspect aftermarket (if so you could possibly find an insert that will quiet it down) or someone punched the baffles on the stock exhaust.  In that case, you're stuck with it unless you replace it.

Post a pic and maybe that will clear things up.

Edited by Butrzrulz

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, mumph said:

I have a 2018 Tracer 900 GT. I'm old and find the stock exhaust that came with my bike is too loud for me (and I wear plugs), does anyone know of a add-on I can add to quieten the noise...? 

Many thanks 

Post a picture of what you actually have installed, if its too loud it isn't stock.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I was surprised to read this. I just got my new to me 2019 Tracer GT today and twice already I tried starting it again because I did not hear it roar to life. I have a BMW R1200RS and up until today had a BMW S1000R. You knew when both of them came to life. Guess I got accustomed to that after 6 years. :)

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

You must have an aftermarket system fitted, as pretty much all recent original bikes (except  Ducati!!) are fairly quiet.  Don't know where you are but here in U.K. it seems there is always someone wanting to noisy-up their bike. I expect you could arrange a swap with some local like-minded person,  taking their standard pipe for yours? 

On a personal note, good to read of someone who doesn't feel the need to make a sh1t-load of noise when out and about. (head now ducked down below the parapet in expectation of a volley of abuse from the pro-noise brigade!!!).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That looks stock. I wonder if a previous owner modified it somehow. If you can find another local Tracer or FJ owner with stock exhaust you could arrange to meet up and compare sound levels.

Looks stock to me, as others have said would not be surprised if the cat has been punched out.   I'm getting old but find the stock exhaust to not be loud.

My previous bikes would get louder over time as the sound absorbing material in the can would age but not sure the Tracer GT has a "can".  At 11,000 miles seems like mine sounds the same as when new.

You did not mention whether or not you are the original owner.   If you are the original owner and have not modified the exhaust then you're kind of stuck.  was this a recent development?  If it is, them maybe you hearing needs to be checked.  People can have/develop hearing issues and become more sensitive to certain frequencies.

If you are not the original owner you could be dealing with punched baffles in the muffler/cat or a modified airbox.  Either one could be the cause. 

My 2020 Tracer is pretty loud also and I also wear plugs. Well it is load compared to my FJR1300. So can you tell us what your last bike was. If you came from a Goldwing or similar yes the Tracer will be considerably loader.

I don’t know about the Tracer being load, but it’s definitely louder than an FJR or such :) 
There’s no packing inside a Tracer muffler, just 3 chambers and pipes going between them, and you won’t be able to stuff anything up the exit pipe as it snakes it’s way to the front chamber. 
I must admit the Tracer is the quietest bike I’ve ever owned, so much so that I did some surgery to it to make it more respectable. 
Easy to tell if your pipe has been modified by looking underneath towards the rear and looking for welding where it was cut open like this:  

67353B26-26B6-4FD5-9F3F-D9FE904EE591.thumb.jpeg.4da961ff5b8034129934632833ffb98b.jpeg

The Tracer does have a lot of mechanical and wind noise, and peoples hearing can be sensitive to different frequencies, ear plugs are your friend. 

• Supporting Member
On 8/8/2021 at 6:16 PM, Ride365 said:

Hope the OP finds a solution to make him happy, personally I cannot wait to install a Scorpion race exhaust.....oh my the beautiful noise this CP3 makes. :) 

I totally agree !! 👍👍

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90